Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Android Head Unit e-cutout Controller Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 10:06 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Android Head Unit e-cutout Controller Questions

So I got this crazy idea to allow my android head unit to control my cutout. After lots of research, i found this board:

http://www.tinyosshop.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=664

Looks like by combining this with their bluetooth board you can control it from an android device via bluetooth.

Now it says it can take any power source from 5v-24v, and can control 2 motors supplying up to 2 amps per channel. Wiring it into a 12v accessory socket would be easy, but I can't find any amperage requirements for any of the major e-cutout motor brands so I'm not sure if 2 amps is enough or not. I also don't know if the resistance at stop would burn this thing up. There's probably other things I haven't thought of too. As I understand it, there's a mechanism in the switch for dealing with the resistance so as not to burn out the switch. I suppose I'd just cut the switch off and leave that mechanism and wire the leads into motor A of this board, right? Thoughts?
Old 07-28-2016, 06:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dumb question, but couldn't you have the board drive a relay if the cutout pulls too much current?
Old 07-28-2016, 07:14 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a dumb question, or rather I'm too dumb to answer it. I don't know, anyone know if I could?... or how I'd go about doing that? I'm a novice at this stuff.

EDIT: Ok, so I went and tested the amp draw of the motor with a multimeter and found it never draws more than 0.78 amps so I'm pretty sure this will work just fine.

Last edited by TallgeeseIV; 07-28-2016 at 08:28 AM.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I can believe that's all the current it pulls. I have mine wired up to a convertible top switch and pulling power from the TCS without any issues

Quick Reply: Android Head Unit e-cutout Controller Questions