Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Double din head unit options?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 08:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have all new 6.5s and 4in speakers. So they will call work with the factory monsoon amp wiring.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:40 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

That depends on what you got. There's more involved than just the size...

The doors take components (separate 6.5" mids and .75" tweeters). You could use standard coaxial speakers there but you lose half the power in a Camaro because of eliminating a channel in each door or you will have a lot more treble in a Firebird because of having the extra tweeters. There are ways to fix those problems if you don't mind making minor modifications to your new coaxial speakers.

The sail panels take 6.5" subs (2-ohm single voice coil in Camaros, 4-ohm dual voice coil in Firebirds). You could put coaxials there but they will sound terrible because of the low pass filtered signal plus you would lose half the available power due to the impedance/voice coil differences. But if you got the right types of replacement speakers that match the factory configuration then it will work. Lots of people have found that a head unit and speaker upgrade can turn a Monsoon system from a mediocre system into something quite good.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I have to do this in my Camaro, I have the Pioneer AVH-8500 sitting from my previous truck, just need the bezel and harness adapters.
Old 07-27-2021, 11:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the CAMECHO 7 which is easy to install. Boot time is pretty fast compared to other similar items. Screen resolution is very sharp. Touch very well. The Bluetooth connection is perfect. Very nice sound. Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatible. The only hard part was getting it to mirror link thru the usb cable. The radio's manufacturer gave me a vague hint on what to do. Download an app called "USB debugging". Thru that I was able to get my Android 7 phone to mirror link with the Camacho deck.

Last edited by robmandeville143; 08-02-2021 at 07:53 AM.
Old 08-12-2021, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 412 Likes on 299 Posts

Not to hijack but this may help others, what adapter can be used with that antenna cable? Mine appears to be a very small aux jack. Less than 3.5mm. I'm using a tablet and a Kenwood 400w 1814 amp. Should I just cut it and convert it to coaxial to rca?
Old 08-12-2021, 01:59 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Bspeck82
Not to hijack but this may help others, what adapter can be used with that antenna cable? Mine appears to be a very small aux jack. Less than 3.5mm. I'm using a tablet and a Kenwood 400w 1814 amp. Should I just cut it and convert it to coaxial to rca?
The antenna cable from the factory is a smaller version of the standard Motorola connector that most other companies use.

Here is a standard Motorola connector:

Motorola connector

And here is the usual adapter used to plug in the small GM antenna into the standard Motorola socket in an aftermarket head unit:

GM antenna adapter. The socket on the right end fits the small GM antenna plug and the plug on the left end is a standard Motorola plug.

What you would need to use for your setup depends on what type of antenna socket you have. I've never seen a tablet with an external antenna socket but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

Old 08-12-2021, 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 412 Likes on 299 Posts

Eh I think ill just leave the stock radio antenna alone and stream local and sat music instead. I was just wondering if I could get the gm antenna to work with a switch and volume pot tied to the amplifier via rca cable but I realized it isnt even necessary.

Quick Reply: Double din head unit options?