Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Driver window goes all the way down....then wont go back up

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 07:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Driver window goes all the way down....then wont go back up

I roll the window down, then try to roll it back up and it wont go. If I wait 10 seconds it will go up.

I do hear straining from the power window relay or express-down module when this happens.

Other than the express-down module, are there any other window relays? I did have the driver window motor replaced before but never the passenger motor.
Old 07-09-2017, 06:41 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

There are no relays in the power window system except for the one embedded in the express down module. That relay is only active when putting the left window down - it is in the circuit but at rest when putting the left window up. It is possible (although unlikely) that the relay could be failing to return to the rest position after putting down the window but it is much more likely to be the motor or some binding in the window regulator. It is also possible that there is something wrong with the switch.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You need a new window motor. When they're going bad, they overheat internally & shut down. After a minute or so, they cool & work again. Motor is cheap, and easier to replace if it was already done once, since the inner door panel should have been drilled out already.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LS1Tech 10 Year

I have the same problem. I've noticed that if I stop the window manually from going down all the way, it always rolls back up without any trouble. This has me thinking the motor does over heat, but maybe it is not being shut off at the low stop. I have to investigate further, but this has been an OK temporary measure.

Quick Reply: Driver window goes all the way down....then wont go back up