Radio & windows stop working when I hit window switch. - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Go Back  LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion > CHASSIS, SUSPENSION, APPEARANCE > Stereo & Electronics
Reload this Page >

Radio & windows stop working when I hit window switch.

Notices
Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms

Radio & windows stop working when I hit window switch.

Old 02-12-2018, 03:32 PM
Teching In

Default Radio & windows stop working when I hit window switch.

Okay so, I have an aftermarket radio. I know installed it properly as I've done this on my last TA, a camaro, pretty much every car I've had. The driver's side window motor has been replaced and was working just fine. After a while though I'll be driving, go to put my window down, or up... When I hit the power window switch the raido shuts off and the windows stop working. It's driving me ******* crazy. I just went to take it out for a ride and turned right around because I was so pissed off. This happens usually intermittently, but this time it happened right away. After the car sits for a while it works again, until it acts up....

Has anyone else experienced this? Please help before I take a sledgehammer to this car.

BTW car is a 99 TA, 6 spd, has 98K miles.

Last edited by BlackBirdLSOne; 02-12-2018 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-12-2018, 03:35 PM
TECH Addict

Looks like you're pretty fucked budday!

Who replaced the window motor?
Old 02-12-2018, 03:43 PM
Teching In

I replaced it, and it was working fine. This problem just started. I've done a few F-body window motors. Looking to see if this has happened to anyone else
Old 02-12-2018, 04:57 PM
Ungrounded Director

This is a very common problem that costs nothing to fix if you have any soldering skills. There are bad solder joints in the Body Control Module (BCM) that controls the Retained Accessory Power (RAP) circuit which powers the radio and windows so that you can use them after turning off the ignition. The fix is in this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...blems-fix.html.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:40 PM
Teching In

Thanks man. I'll be taking it out tomorrow. After reading the thread you linked I found a few videos on YouTube detailing the process.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:26 PM
Teching In

Follow-up: you were right. Getting the BCM out of the car proved to be a bigger pain in the dick than actually fixing it. Once I got the BCM out of it's case it was easy to see where the old solder was no good. A quick dab, put it back together, turn the ignition on, raido, windows all working properly. Gave the BCM a good shaking just to make sure before fully reinstalling it and it works great. Problem solved. Weather is decent enough, so I'm about to take it out for a spin before putting it back away for the winter.

Cheers man!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Radio & windows stop working when I hit window switch.

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: