Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

FINALLY! Metra Double DIN Painted To Match, Pioneer AVH-X2600BT, & No Gaps!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 09:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Default FINALLY! Metra Double DIN Painted To Match, Pioneer AVH-X2600BT, & No Gaps!

So GA enacted a no hand held cell phone law starting 7/1/18. Believe it or not, I've had the Metra Double DIN mounting kit (painted to match by doubledmods back when they were a sponsor), my Pioneer AVH-X2600BT and everything I needed to install it since 2014... I just never took the time to do it. (My FAST 92 & NW TB sat in a box in my garage for over a year too 😡 )

Anyway, it's all in, including a cheap $15 back-up camera off eBay that's working great, and also, for those of you that have the Metra kit, you know that there can be a slight gap at the bottom with some radios. I found a Double DIN Trim Ring W/ 1 1/2" Border that's scored on the back to easily cut it to fit the gap and I think the whole install looks amazing! The trim ring is an XScorpion DDT-1515 and they're like $7 on eBay too.

Last edited by BandDirector Blk98ZM6; 07-07-2018 at 11:45 AM.
Old 07-04-2018, 09:56 PM
12 Second Club

...unfortunately, the company that I got my painted Metra kit is no longer a sponsor, or even seem to be in business any longer, but they did a great job with painting and texturing to match the Double DIN Metra kits. Just an FYI, this is the thread from when they were in business:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-electronics/1726104-correctly-painted-camaro-double-din-bezels-59-99-a.html
Old 07-05-2018, 07:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

looks good bro.

I mite have the same el cheapo ebay camera however I paid only $6. have yet to connect it to my new crummie HU but is does work well w/ my $20. Audiovox 3.5" monitor kindof like high deff.

I sure hope the law enforcement actually enforces the law. remove the distracted ediots from the roads.

some ******* was playing w/ his phone while trying to drive I was opening the door (I do look before I open the extra long door) exiting the car in a parking lot (way in the back away from other cars) this moron runs into my door then insists on calling the cops even when he's obviously at fualt and the cops said it wasn't either of ours fault because it was in a private parking lot this really was a rear end of the door.

hope the law is for roads and parking lots.

so I'm out a door/fender and the hassel of repainting.

BTW how is the LS6 crate engine holding up?
Old 07-05-2018, 09:44 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by badmfkr
BTW how is the LS6 crate engine holding up?
Crate LS6 longblock has now been in the car for 14 years and it runs good, but has an oil leak I'm chasing. Actually just finished pulling transmission yesterday thinking it was the rear main seal or cover. Nope. Now thinking it's the oil pan gasket. After the frustration of pulling the tranny only to find it's not leaking where I thought it was, I need some down time before I go after the oil pan gasket.

I really like this eBay back-up camera design. The bracket goes behind the plate, and just the camera peeks out at the top of the plate. Works well and isn't noticeable unless you're looking for it.

Old 07-05-2018, 12:07 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by badmfkr
some ******* was playing w/ his phone while trying to drive I was opening the door (I do look before I open the extra long door) exiting the car in a parking lot (way in the back away from other cars) this moron runs into my door then insists on calling the cops even when he's obviously at fualt and the cops said it wasn't either of ours fault because it was in a private parking lot this really was a rear end of the door.
Just because the police couldn't file a charge or issue a citation due to being in a private parking lot, doesn't mean that financial responsibility doesn't apply. As long as you got the other driver's information, you can still file a claim with his insurance. Liability applies because you were parked and he was moving.

Old 07-05-2018, 04:20 PM
12 Second Club

Couple more pics of my back-up camera installed. I'm really happy with it!
Old 07-05-2018, 04:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

looks good...im gonna have to look up the trim ring you suggested because I have that little annoying gap at the bottom of my metra double din kit
Old 07-05-2018, 04:40 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by quiet_storm98
looks good...im gonna have to look up the trim ring you suggested because I have that little annoying gap at the bottom of my metra double din kit
The one on eBay right now is item number 322048477082
Don't let the pic listed fool you, the auction is showing the back side of the Trim ring.
I'm attaching pics of what mine looks like after I trimmed off the excess and use it to fill the gaps.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Just because the police couldn't file a charge or issue a citation due to being in a private parking lot, doesn't mean that financial responsibility doesn't apply. As long as you got the other driver's information, you can still file a claim with his insurance. Liability applies because you were parked and he was moving.
I actualy have the drivers information actualy I was surprixed he insisted on the police when it was obvisously his fualt he told me his wittness would say anything I told him to say.

anyway the car was still drivable (after some rearranging and spacing fender however I don't feel comfortable w/ door about 60% secure.

one of my options is to use my uninsursured motorists insurance and have them pay for repair however this accident was well over one year ago car is rary driven right now.

Originally Posted by BandDirector Blk98ZM6
just saw the 12 sec club congrates did the crate engine get you to that 12 sec. run?and if I remember correctly your LS6 car is stock internal is that a M6 deal for racing in a certain class? I rarley go to track mainly becauce the TA was my only transprotation.
about how many runs have you had?

I know the camera claims water resistant however I wanted to keep mine inside my SUV tow vehicle out of rain.

I like this thread my new radio's chassis isn't a direct radio swap new radio is 1/2" shorter in width so it's sliding to the right if I touch screen right and vice versa for left.

Couple more pics of my back-up camera installed. I'm really happy with it!

Last edited by badmfkr; 07-06-2018 at 06:29 AM.
Old 07-06-2018, 09:09 AM
12 Second Club

Yes, my 2004 LS6 lonblock crate motor is bone stock internally as it came from Chevrolet. My best run so far was 12.6 @ 112, but that was with a slipping clutch and 385 RWHP. Since that run, I've added a Fast 92mm intake and NW 92mm TB, and had Tick Performance rebuild my T56 to their Stage 2 package and install a Monster Stage 2 clutch along with Tick's clutch adjustable master cylinder. Vengeance Racing re-tuned me after the Fast 92/NW 92 and I'm now at 400.1 RWHP. Once I get my oil leak sorted, I expect to return to the track and maybe dip into low 12's and pick up a couple mph.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m in the middle of installing a double din myself. I’m tempted to paint the Metra Kit myself, but don’t know if I should put “texturizer” down first to try and make it match the dash pad.

Is your bezel textured? Or just color matched?

I’m also finding there’s less than ideal coverage on the bottom right corner of the bezel: where you can see the edge of the dash (where the vinyl ends).

I like that backup camera mount. I may have to grab one!
Old 07-06-2018, 01:27 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by wayland1985
I’m in the middle of installing a double din myself. I’m tempted to paint the Metra Kit myself, but don’t know if I should put “texturizer” down first to try and make it match the dash pad.

Is your bezel textured? Or just color matched?

I’m also finding there’s less than ideal coverage on the bottom right corner of the bezel: where you can see the edge of the dash (where the vinyl ends).

I like that backup camera mount. I may have to grab one!
DoubleDMods also texturized the trim before painting to match. Really does match perfectly with texture and color.

Yes, bottom right of the Metra trim piece has always been just a little short where it meets the vinyl. Known issue since they came out. You can shift it over slightly to minimize it. Also on mine, the trim bar between the radio and AC controls wasn't flush and bowed out slightly...I carefully used a heat gun to reshape it. Thought about using a heat gun fix the lower right portion where it meets the vinyl, but it doesn't bother me bad enough to try it...yet.

$15 back-up Camara was an incredible add on! Besides hands free calling now with my HU, back-up camera is my next favorite feature!
Old 07-11-2018, 03:40 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty sure I know what that license plate says even with the tape on it. But I'll respect your wish for privacy and not say😁
Old 07-11-2018, 07:18 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Kokomastah
I'm pretty sure I know what that license plate says even with the tape on it. But I'll respect your wish for privacy and not say😁
LOL! Old habits die hard! I use to do that while I was under warranty and worried about racing. No need now I guess 😜
Old 07-11-2018, 10:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That looks so much, better I have the same issue with that kit and my pioneer head unit,
can you tell me about that camera you have , brand , install difficulty and so on please ?
thank you
Old 07-11-2018, 03:57 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by z28pat
That looks so much, better I have the same issue with that kit and my pioneer head unit,
can you tell me about that camera you have , brand , install difficulty and so on please ?
thank you
The extra trim piece makes a huge difference and completely takes care of the gap as you can see! So spend the $7 and get one!

The camera doesn't even have a name brand that I can see...it's made in China is really all that's on the box... still, for $15, another option that's definitely worth doing! Installation took a few hours to get it done correctly. Had to remove the rear "CAMARO" Berger panel, which means both tail lights cone out too. There's a factory grommet on the drivers side behind the Berger panel that you can run all the wires through. Connect both power leads to the green wire going to the white back up bulb and that'll send the camera power when you put it in reverse and the power lead that runs with the video RCA connects to the wire to tell the HU to switch to the camera when in reverse. You can run the power to the camera from a switched ignition source if you want the camera to have power all the time because the Pioneer HU can switch to the camera view at any time if you like.

Here's an eBay link to the camera:
https://m.ebay.com/itm/170-Night-Vis...-/112972544113

Old 07-12-2018, 05:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BandDirector Blk98ZM6
Yes, my 2004 LS6 lonblock crate motor is bone stock internally as it came from Chevrolet. My best run so far was 12.6 @ 112, but that was with a slipping clutch and 385 RWHP. Since that run, I've added a Fast 92mm intake and NW 92mm TB, and had Tick Performance rebuild my T56 to their Stage 2 package and install a Monster Stage 2 clutch along with Tick's clutch adjustable master cylinder. Vengeance Racing re-tuned me after the Fast 92/NW 92 and I'm now at 400.1 RWHP. Once I get my oil leak sorted, I expect to return to the track and maybe dip into low 12's and pick up a couple mph.
excellent power you should be down mid 11s what RPM do you launch?

I'm installing a marine claireon HU in my cabin cruiser, just entry level.
concerned salt air will ruin radio because it's case has vent holes.it's designed for a dashbroad which I don't have. I may have to fab a cover.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:50 AM
12 Second Club

I'm still on the stock 10 bolt rearend. I don't launch hard at all for fear of destroying it (2K RPM's or less even). With a Monster Stage 2 clutch and my MT 255/50/16 drag radials, I don't see my launch method changing until I do something about the rearend.
Old 07-14-2018, 01:18 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by z28pat
thank you
posting a pic of the box the eBay camera came in...
Old 01-14-2019, 07:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Nice work!

Quick Reply: FINALLY! Metra Double DIN Painted To Match, Pioneer AVH-X2600BT, & No Gaps!