Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Will LED parking bulbs fry my electronics?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Will LED parking bulbs fry my electronics?

I want purple parking lights for my 1998 WS6 Trans Am, and I ordered two regular purple bulbs from here http://www.autolumination.com/3157_3156.htm but lit up they seem more pink than purple. I was thinking about getting the Ultra Violet LED lights, but someone told me in an F-body it would fry your socket or electronics or something? Sorry if this is in the wrong area.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just to show, this is the bullshit pink that I got sold as "purple" (the bulb is actually purple, but light makes it very not) in comparison to the purple color I WANT that I have under my dash.

Old 01-23-2019, 10:19 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

An ultraviolet LED bulb will no more fry your electronics than any other LED bulb - at least not because of being ultraviolet color. The heat produce could eventually cause some charring of the socket but that is true of any high powered bulb.

I hope you are aware that using any color other than white or amber at the front and red or amber at the rear is illegal in all 50 states and Canada. You might get away with it for a while but one day you will get cited for equipment violations - especially if the bulbs end up looking more blue than purple.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
An ultraviolet LED bulb will no more fry your electronics than any other LED bulb - at least not because of being ultraviolet color. The heat produce could eventually cause some charring of the socket but that is true of any high powered bulb.

I hope you are aware that using any color other than white or amber at the front and red or amber at the rear is illegal in all 50 states and Canada. You might get away with it for a while but one day you will get cited for equipment violations - especially if the bulbs end up looking more blue than purple.
Oh, thank you for the information, brother. I'm not too worried about the law, though. I have had 5% limo tint for like 4 years now and the cops have never even said anything about it when they pull me over for speeding. (I'm in Florida, also.)
Old 01-23-2019, 12:15 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Yes, I know that police in Florida tend to overlook tint violations because everyone does it and it's almost a necessity here in the summer. But I know from personal experience riding in a motorcycle group that they can get quite annoyed by odd color lighting (you know how Gold Wing riders like to light up their bikes) and especially anything that has an appearance of being similar to blue (or red on the front). We had one member of our group threatened with a criminal charge of impersonating a police officer if he didn't disconnect his blue trim lights on the spot.

As I said, you might get away with it but don't say you weren't warned.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, I know that police in Florida tend to overlook tint violations because everyone does it and it's almost a necessity here in the summer. But I know from personal experience riding in a motorcycle group that they can get quite annoyed by odd color lighting (you know how Gold Wing riders like to light up their bikes) and especially anything that has an appearance of being similar to blue (or red on the front). We had one member of our group threatened with a criminal charge of impersonating a police officer if he didn't disconnect his blue trim lights on the spot.

As I said, you might get away with it but don't say you weren't warned.
Thank you for the help, good buddy. Fair play lol.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey, WhiteBird00, just wanted to update and thank you for the help. I got the flashers and bulbs in, and it looks just perfect with the purple trim. It looks like a natural part of the car.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 478 Likes on 368 Posts

Those would get you sidelined instantly out here in the west,, and if the cop decides they are too "blue" its an instant impound and like 1500 bucks or worse for impersonating a police vehicle.
It's also a primary offense so the cops can pull you over just cause any time they want.

Sometimes cool ain't worth it.. (And I have to admit it does look mean. ) LOL
Old 02-28-2019, 08:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

And is GAY AS FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCK.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by qweedqwag
And is GAY AS FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCK.
Cool, thanks. I chose this color to honor my wife who was just killed.
Old 03-03-2019, 08:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 251 Likes on 207 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

thats one clean 98.....nice
Old 04-25-2019, 03:19 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think a nice white would look just as good instead of the blue/purple. Or hey.. go for a deep amber.