Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Pioneer Double DIN Install Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Pioneer Double DIN Install Questions

Hi all. I've searched and read on this for hours and still have a few questions I figure I would float out to those with experience on the head unit upgrade.

Car is a 2002 SS with Monsoon. I've had little concern for audio in the car, however the CD player quit working and the radio sucks so it's time for an upgrade. I'm planning to go with a Pioneer double din (likely either AVH-1440NEX or SPH-DA120). My "wants" are CD player, Bluetooth connectivity, Apple Carplay and the ability to use Waze on screen. It seems the recent addition of Waze to Apple Carplay coupled with the IOS 12 update will make this possible and the functionality will be better than the previous setup. I believe either head unit will satisfy those criteria. I have a lot of old school car audio experience, however haven't touched this stuff in 10 years and the tech has clearly changed. Here's what I have so far for the install:

The Metra dash bezel. I'm lacking the install brackets that Metra sells with their kit, however I am not clear on if those custom brackets will be required. Anyone know the answer to this? If they are needed, my next issue is where in the heck to find them outside of buying their full kit.

I've picked up the Metra GM wiring harness (70-1858), the GM antenna adapter, the xScorpion ABS dash ring I can trim if I need to fill gaps and the bypass wiring for a backup camera I plan to install.

I'm going to need to get the adapter to retain steering wheel controls and am still debating the PAC-SWI-CP2 vs. the Axxess ASWC-1.

I'm also thinking about installing a USB input either in the cigarette lighter or inside the center console. I haven't even started my research on the pieces I need to make that happen, so I may follow up on that later.

Can you guys think of anything else I need for this install? My solder gun is old, so I'll pick one of those up for the wiring harness connections. Any thoughts on anything else that sticks out?

Thanks!
Old 02-05-2019, 07:26 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

How did you end up with a Metra bezel without the brackets? They're sold as a kit unless you found a used one somewhere. Metra used to have a double DIN kit that was just the brackets and a small surround trim piece to fill the face opening but once they started offering the complete bezel as a kit they dropped the old one from their catalog. You may not need the brackets - on my Trans Am I was able to remove and use the factory brackets from the Monsoon head unit - but if you do, you could buy a Firebird bezel kit which includes the same brackets but for half the cost of the Camaro kit.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
How did you end up with a Metra bezel without the brackets? They're sold as a kit unless you found a used one somewhere. Metra used to have a double DIN kit that was just the brackets and a small surround trim piece to fill the face opening but once they started offering the complete bezel as a kit they dropped the old one from their catalog. You may not need the brackets - on my Trans Am I was able to remove and use the factory brackets from the Monsoon head unit - but if you do, you could buy a Firebird bezel kit which includes the same brackets but for half the cost of the Camaro kit.
Yes sir....picked one up a used one from a local contact on the board. I’ll reach out to see if he has the brackets, however I was hoping the stock ones might work. Good suggestion on the Firebird trim kit....I have seen that online for around $20.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Things are slowly coming together now. Went with the AVH-1440NEX. Seller included a backup camera too, so that was a factor in the purchase.

Picked up an AXCESS ASWC-1 to retain steering wheel controls. Also picked up a UBS/auxiliary jack extended to mount in the cigarette lighter space. That’s where I ran into the first issue....

The ASWC-1 looks to be an easy 3-wire install if you go directly into the radio’s auxiliary port in the back. The rub is that there’s only one 3.5mm AUX port in the back, so I’m trying to figure out how to install the ASWC-1 AND the USB/aux extension plug and hopefully get that to work. My options seem to be to just lose auxiliary input on the mounted extension jack and use the UBS input for everything. Not a terrible solution and the only alternative I can see is to not use the 3.5mm aux port for connecting the ASWC-1. As I read more, I might be able to grab the SWC control wire or wires in the harness and use the brown and white/brown wires on the ASWC connection.

Anyone already solve this specific issue?
Old 02-11-2019, 07:03 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

There are two 3.5mm jacks on the back. Looking at the back of the head unit, the top row of connectors on the left side are microphone, remote control, and SiriusXM tuner. At the bottom on the left side you have the USB port, auxiliary input, and power connector. The two 3.5mm jacks serve different purposes and are not interchangeable. Of the major brand names, only Kenwood uses a direct wire connection for a remote control adapter... all the others use a 3.5mm jack.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
There are two 3.5mm jacks on the back. Looking at the back of the head unit, the top row of connectors on the left side are microphone, remote control, and SiriusXM tuner. At the bottom on the left side you have the USB port, auxiliary input, and power connector. The two 3.5mm jacks serve different purposes and are not interchangeable. Of the major brand names, only Kenwood uses a direct wire connection for a remote control adapter... all the others use a 3.5mm jack.
Thanks for clearing this up. I found a video online last night and they instructed me to use the W/R plug on the back for the ASWC-1 steering wheel control plug. That's consistent with what you said, so that's one problem solved. On another positive note, the video I found was almost identical to the same Pioneer, backup camera, steering wheel control, brake bypass, Bluetooth mic, etc. setup I plan to run. It was nice to see the various steps from start to finish and I now have a much better feel for the details (how to remove various trim pieces, best way to run the wires, ets.).

For what its worth, the Metra dash kit can be a bit of a hassle. I picked up a used one off the board, but it was a little out of shape it didn't want to cooperate with my radio. Bought a new kit online and although the fit is better, it's far from perfect. The double din opening wasn't big enough for the radio to fit, so I had to trim a good 1/8" off both sides. With that work behind me, I'm moving on to setting up my wiring harnesses and soldering connections as the next step.