Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Taillights not working properly

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 09:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taillights not working properly

I知 having a problem with my taillights. Whenever I put the right turn signal the 3rd brake light flashes along with the right turn signal. I disconnected the 3rd brake light at the hatch and now both left and right turn signals come on. And when I知 pressing the brake, the right turn signal doesn稚 come on, but once the let go of the brake all the rear lights start flashing how I mentioned up top. I noticed a white wire in the brake light harness going towards the front where the sail panel is but I知 gonna check that out tomorrow. Any help is much appreciated
Old 02-13-2019, 06:17 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Moving to electronics.

How long have you had this problem?

Do you have any LED lights installed? If so, have you tried putting conventional bulbs back in?

Originally Posted by ls1_299
I disconnected the 3rd brake light at the hatch and now both left and right turn signals come on. And when I知 pressing the brake, the right turn signal doesn稚 come on, but once the let go of the brake all the rear lights start flashing how I mentioned up top.
So, with the 3rd light disconnected, all the lights flash when you take your foot off the brake?

Originally Posted by ls1_299
I noticed a white wire in the brake light harness going towards the front where the sail panel is but I知 gonna check that out tomorrow.
Which harness? The one at the brake pedal? The one at the rear tail lights? Does this look like a non-stock wire? If so, you should definitely figure out where it goes and what it does.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:23 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Another big question... what kind of car? Firebirds and Camaros have very different wiring because Camaros have separate amber turn signals whereas Firebirds use the brake lights for turn signals.

Assuming Camaro (from your avatar), there is no white wire in the factory tail light harness. First thing I would do is disconnect that white wire. Then I would check the tail light grounds - your symptoms sound exactly like what happens to lights that don't have a good ground... the current back feeds through the other filament in the bulbs and ends up feeding other circuits. That's the only way the third brake light would be affected by turn signals since the two circuits aren't normally connected to each other (other than the tail light bulbs sharing a common ground).