Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

2002 Camaro - Stereo Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 06:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2002 Camaro - Stereo Upgrade

So, I have finally decided to getting around to improving my 2002 Camaro. This cars has been my daily driver for the last decade and probably will be for another year or so. After that it's gonna be promoted to a weekend driver car (I plan on purchasing a used BMW M3 in the before the end of next year to be my new daily driver).

One of the first things I want to improve is the stereo. I have the original stereo in the card. Single disc Monsoon head unit, 6-disc CD player in the trunk (which I've never used) and original speakers. Speakers are crackly and worn out. The car is a 2002 SS 35th LE so it basically came with all the premium options.

Here is what I am looking for...I don't think this is asking a lot and I hope I can do it reasonably affordably. I want to replace the head unit with something that I can sync to my phone so I can play music off my phone and so I can talk on the phone through the head unit and speakers. I'm tired of using a stupid bluetooth headset. I'd prefer it to be able to be voice activated (so I can tell it to call someone or play a playlist). I'd like to retain my steering wheel controls. I'd like it to fit in the space where the current head unit is (meaning no additional cutting)...obviously a smaller head unit in a mounting plate is fine.

I want to replace the speakers in the car (I believe there are 6?) with something of decent quality. They don't have to be super high end...just something that sounds nice. I don't need a sub or anything too powerful. I'd prefer to speakers to blend in with the interior and not appear to be too "aftermarket" looking.

Any suggestions would be helpful...I know next to nothing about car stereos but I do want to learn. Thanks.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:34 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 262 Likes on 226 Posts

Your best bet is to install a double DIN head unit with the features you want. You'll need a replacement trim bezel to fit the larger face size (Metra 99-3311B). You may need to trim a bit of plastic behind the dash (some do, some don't) but it won't be visible behind the trim bezel. Double DIN will look factory installed whereas single DIN looks very much like an add-on afterthought in the factory 1.5 DIN opening.

The Camaro Monsoon system is considered 8 speakers because the doors have component tweeters mounted in the middle of the woofers - looks like a coaxial speaker but actually runs off separate channels of the amp. There are a handful of speakers available in that configuration with the most popular on here being CDT. The sail panel speakers are subs. The most popular replacement being the Bazooka 6.5 DVC subs for about $100 for the pair. The hatch speakers are merely rear fill so any decent 4" speaker will do the job.

You'll need a wiring harness adapter so that you don't have to modify the factory wiring, an antenna adapter (because GM didn't use the standard Motorola antenna plug), and a steering wheel controls module like the Axxess ASWC-1.

This configuration makes use of the factory Monsoon amp so that you don't have to buy a new amp or do any rewiring. Replacing the amp would allow for more options (subs, more power) but it sounds like that might be more than you're looking for at this point.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:35 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Your best bet is to install a double DIN head unit with the features you want. You'll need a replacement trim bezel to fit the larger face size (Metra 99-3311B). You may need to trim a bit of plastic behind the dash (some do, some don't) but it won't be visible behind the trim bezel. Double DIN will look factory installed whereas single DIN looks very much like an add-on afterthought in the factory 1.5 DIN opening.

The Camaro Monsoon system is considered 8 speakers because the doors have component tweeters mounted in the middle of the woofers - looks like a coaxial speaker but actually runs off separate channels of the amp. There are a handful of speakers available in that configuration with the most popular on here being CDT. The sail panel speakers are subs. The most popular replacement being the Bazooka 6.5 DVC subs for about $100 for the pair. The hatch speakers are merely rear fill so any decent 4" speaker will do the job.

You'll need a wiring harness adapter so that you don't have to modify the factory wiring, an antenna adapter (because GM didn't use the standard Motorola antenna plug), and a steering wheel controls module like the Axxess ASWC-1.

This configuration makes use of the factory Monsoon amp so that you don't have to buy a new amp or do any rewiring. Replacing the amp would allow for more options (subs, more power) but it sounds like that might be more than you're looking for at this point.
OK, that is helpful...thanks! I don't see a need to replace the amp because what you described is exactly what I am looking for.

Do they make Metra 99-3311B panel in the ebony color that matches the car's dash or is it a true black? It's hard to tell from the photo. Also, does the "Camaro SS" dash plaque on the factory trim bezel just pop off? I'd like to keep that in the car. Thanks.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:17 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Yes, the dash plaque is mounted to two empty switch openings along with the fog and ASR switches so it will just pop off and fit in the same place in the replacement bezel.

Metra only makes the one color bezel. There have been threads here about painting it although it's a fairly close match. The problem appears to be more with the texturing not matching. Some have said it's okay while others have had them textured and painted for an exact match.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:05 PM
Staging Lane

Yes, the dash plaque is mounted to two empty switch openings along with the fog and ASR switches so it will just pop off and fit in the same place in the replacement bezel.

Metra only makes the one color bezel. There have been threads here about painting it although it's a fairly close match. The problem appears to be more with the texturing not matching. Some have said it's okay while others have had them textured and painted for an exact match.
Perfect. I"m sure it will be fine. You have been very helpful. Thank you.

I have been doing a little research and I have a couple more questions. First, can I do this in stages? Cash is a little tight and I would like to get it started...I'd prefer to start with the head unit and then swap out speakers later. Can this be done or is it an issue?

Next, I have been doing some research into head units and I think I've found one I like. I was going to go with a cheaper one, but this one seems really nice and it has Apple Car Play which I think will be a nice thing to have. My only issue with that is I need to figure out where to mount a USB port to plug my phone in for the Apple Car Play. I assume I could just replace the cigarette lighter (since I don't smoke). Would that be the easiest way?

Also, I understand there is a microphone that needs to be mounted. Do most people mount it in the A-pillar? If not, where is the best place to put it?

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500ILX....html?tp=72357
Old 03-13-2019, 04:30 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Yes, you can certainly upgrade in stages. The Monsoon system uses an ordinary Delco head unit with speaker level output to the amp so any aftermarket head unit will connect right in without requiring any changes to the amp or speakers. Of course, you'll really only benefit from the the most sound improvement after you finish replacing the speakers but replacing the head unit is the biggest single part of getting better sound.

It just so happens that Amazon sells a $10 USB extension that fits into a standard cigarette lighter hole:
Amazon Amazon

I mounted the microphone for my Kenwood next to the mirror by running the wire up the A pillar and behind the headliner to the center. I found that it picked up less noise there then along the outer edges. Some people have mounted them to the top of the steering column or around the instrument cluster for more focus on the driver only.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:33 PM
Staging Lane

The Camaro Monsoon system is considered 8 speakers because the doors have component tweeters mounted in the middle of the woofers - looks like a coaxial speaker but actually runs off separate channels of the amp. There are a handful of speakers available in that configuration with the most popular on here being CDT.
I can't seem to find these speakers anywhere. But then again, I'm new at this and am not sure exactly what I'm looking for. Can you help me find them?
Old 03-14-2019, 06:57 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

A former sponsor here still carries them. Check out Kee Audio (keeaudio.com) and I'm sure Ian will be able to help you.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:12 AM
Staging Lane

A former sponsor here still carries them. Check out Kee Audio (keeaudio.com) and I'm sure Ian will be able to help you.
Thank you for your help. It looks like they have put together Camaro speaker packages. I will reach out to them to see which package is best for my needs. Thanks again!

(non-sponsor link removed)

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 03-14-2019 at 08:19 AM.