Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Turn Signal Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 09:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Turn Signal Issue

My front passenger turn signal is intermittently working/not working. The bulbs are all led's and I have fully electronic flashers. The running light (low filament) will work on the bulb but the turn signal sometimes refuses to flash. Both the turn signal and hazard don't work on that light alone, but work on all other lights. Occasionally the turn signal will work but will be incredibly dim, almost like it isn't getting enough current, other times it will not work at all, and then again sometimes it will work exactly as it should.
To reiterate
1) Full LED's front and rear with Fully electronic flashers
2)The flashers are fully functioning
3)I have swapped bulbs/bought new bulbs and that is not he issue
4) It is extremely intermittent, it will work one minute and stop the next
6)Occasionally it will have power but not enough current
7)It is so erratic that I am unable to probe the socket and see what is happening voltage wise
8)The crispy factory sockets have been replaced
9)Low filament works just fine in all setting
Old 03-23-2019, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

do you have a no load flasher or an LED flasher??? a No Load flasher is what you want if you dont have that.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:19 PM
On The Tree

They are no load flashers. I'm starting to think that it may be a grounding issue. I am going to run a separate ground from the plug and see if it solves it. If so I'm assuming it's the socket ground in the harness
Old 03-24-2019, 05:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

what flashers are they ?
Old 04-01-2019, 02:50 PM
On The Tree

They are the Keep it Clean no load flashers. It is still exhibiting the same issues. Everything works perfectly fine, even on the dash, but the front passenger turn signal and hazard refuses to light.

Turn Signal Issue-photo923.jpg
Old 04-01-2019, 04:12 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

It sounds like you have a failing relay inside the DRL module. The DRL module handles diverting power to the front lamps from either the ignition (for DRL mode) or the turn signal switch (for turn signals and hazards). There are separate relays in the module for left side and right side and it sounds like the right side one isn't switching properly. According to GM, the relays are not replaceable (you have to buy a new module) but these days you can find just about any electronic device online so if you're good with soldering you might be able to repair it.
Old 04-02-2019, 04:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

are the no loads fully electronic ? reading the amazon reviews its seems like a mixed bag if they do the job.....have the no loads worked fully before ?
Old 04-08-2019, 01:26 PM
On The Tree

So far my solution has worked. There are input/outputs in the drl mode for the front turns that have relays for pretty much no reason. I bypassed the relays by depinning the 2 ins and 2 outs on the large connector to the front turns and I just connected the accompanying wires together. So far so good, I think it was just the relay acting up. I already have disabled my drl's so even if this messes with the module it doesn't matter. All lights work exactly as they should now.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:39 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by GtoProject
So far my solution has worked. There are input/outputs in the drl mode for the front turns that have relays for pretty much no reason. I bypassed the relays by depinning the 2 ins and 2 outs on the large connector to the front turns and I just connected the accompanying wires together. So far so good, I think it was just the relay acting up. I already have disabled my drl's so even if this messes with the module it doesn't matter. All lights work exactly as they should now.
The relays have no reason only on your vehicle because you disabled DRLs. In the factory configuration, the relays switch between two inputs to provide ignition power to the front lamps for DRL or flashing power from the turn signal switch for the signals.

Bypassing the DRL module was discussed as far back as 2004 but that was with cutting the wires at the module and splicing them together. Your solution would seem to allow restoring the factory function easier if needed in the future since the wires weren't cut.