Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

99 V6 Base Model Aftermarket Radio

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 08:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 V6 Base Model Aftermarket Radio

Greetings. I recently inherited a very low milage, well cared for 99 Automatic V6 Firebird from my late father. I am looking to do all sorts of upgrades, one of which is the stereo system. I have no idea where to start. Have read through a number of the threads on this forum and only get more confused. Would appreciate any guidance available. Want to do this right and have good, sound. Whole idea for the car is look good / sound good. Listen to primarily classic rock at mid-level, so not super bassy.

Thank you for any input you may have.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

Find a stereo you like and get the appropriate bezel and wiring adapter. The car can take single or double din as long as you get the bezel that matches. Once you have that installed and set up you can decide if speakers are necessary. The stock speakers aren't bad if you're keeping the volume at a decent level.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:58 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

There are a lot of questions here...
- What stereo system is in there now? Factory base system (4 speakers)? Factory Monsoon system (10 speakers)? Aftermarket system without amp? Aftermarket system with amp?
- Why do you want to upgrade? Is it not working? Doesn't get loud enough? Doesn't have features like Bluetooth, satellite radio, navigation, or something else?
- How much do you want to spend?
- Can you do this yourself or will you be taking it to a shop?
Old 04-11-2019, 07:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car has the factory system in it, 4 speakers, no Monsoon. Want to replace because the in deck cd player / factory stereo does not work very well. Have not changed anything.

I would like Bluetooth. Otherwise, I want something understated so it doesn't look ridiculous. I don't know if I need an amp (or if a head unit w/ internal pre-amp will work), or if I need a sub, or what all i should do. I want solid, clear, semi-loud sound. Not obnoxious.

I would like to spend less than $1k. I do not know ANYTHING about how to do any of this work, but would like to do some of the work myself. Can use online materials to learn, where able.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:40 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

That gives you plenty of options. I would highly recommend going with a double DIN head unit. It will cost a little more (although still well within your budget) but the look is much cleaner and can even look factory installed depending on the one you choose. Here is a thread about replacing a single DIN with a double DIN: https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...-trans-am.html. You can see how out-of-place the original single DIN looked. There are fancier bezels (Humount) for single DIN head units which definitely improve the appearance but still look decidedly add-on: https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...ls-please.html

You'll need a double DIN bezel (about $27), a wiring harness adapter (under $10), and an antenna adapter (about $7) as well as a double DIN head unit. You should stick to the major brand names such as Pioneer, Kenwood, Alpine, Sony, or even JVC. Avoid Boss and Pyle - they're cheap crap. Depending on the features you want, you can get them for $150 - $300 as long as you don't need navigation. They'll have touch screens with Bluetooth, selectable display color (to match the dash), auxiliary input, and satellite radio capability (external tuner required), They may have Apple CarPlay and/or Android Auto. Personally, I prefer the 6.2" screens because you get a physical volume **** but the 7" screens are good if you don't mind touch controls while driving.

I would recommend not installing an amp initially. You can always add one later but doing just the head unit and speakers will give you a significant improvement with minimal installation and initial cost. Good 6.5" speakers don't have to be really expensive but don't get cheap ones - they have a big impact on your sound.

You may find that head unit and speakers will be sufficient for your needs. If not, you have lots of options for upgrades without having to change the things you already installed. You can add an amp for more power. You can also add a subwoofer in a stealth box for more bass. Those things will involve wiring changes so you may want to leave that to a professional if you're not familiar with wiring audio systems.
The following users liked this post:
Ccass (07-12-2019)