Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Total noob stereo question..

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 09:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 133 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Total noob stereo question..

I have a 1998 Z28 with factory Monsoon. I have an aftermarket JVC head unit. I read the sticky regarding the speakers ect. Do i need to buy the speakers with the tweeters in the center, and LPF speakers in the sails? Or does the aftermarket unit make it so i can use any speakers?
Old 06-04-2019, 06:53 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

The Monsoon amp is what splits the four channel output of the head unit (whether factory or aftermarket) into eight channels and filters the signal to each of those channels. So changing the head unit does not change the speaker requirements.

You don't absolutely need a component set with center mounted tweeters in the doors but they would make the best use of the audio signal available there. You could just install an ordinary set of coaxial (single channel) speakers and leave the original tweeter wires unconnected. You give up the use of two of the amp channels but it gives you more choices for speakers.

You do need to install subs in the sail panels. Installing regular speakers there will work but they will sound terrible because they won't handle the filtered signal well.

Basically, if you're original speakers still work then keep them... just installing the new head unit will improve your sound significantly. If you want even better sound to go with your new head unit then take the time to find and buy the right speakers to match the amp's configuration - components in the doors and subs in the sail panels.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:06 AM
TECH Resident

Received 133 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The Monsoon amp is what splits the four channel output of the head unit (whether factory or aftermarket) into eight channels and filters the signal to each of those channels. So changing the head unit does not change the speaker requirements.

You don't absolutely need a component set with center mounted tweeters in the doors but they would make the best use of the audio signal available there. You could just install an ordinary set of coaxial (single channel) speakers and leave the original tweeter wires unconnected. You give up the use of two of the amp channels but it gives you more choices for speakers.

You do need to install subs in the sail panels. Installing regular speakers there will work but they will sound terrible because they won't handle the filtered signal well.

Basically, if you're original speakers still work then keep them... just installing the new head unit will improve your sound significantly. If you want even better sound to go with your new head unit then take the time to find and buy the right speakers to match the amp's configuration - components in the doors and subs in the sail panels.
This is exactly what I figured. I haven't bypassed the amp in any way. Thanks!!!