Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Brights (high beams) won't work???

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 03:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brights (high beams) won't work???

Everything else (low beams, DRLs, fogs) works but the high beams, or their indicator, won't come on.

About a week ago they flickered once and then worked fine and I've used them since. But now they will not come on at all. Both bulbs seem fine and I hardly ever use them anyways but what might the problem be.

I'm thinking that maybe the switch (stalk) is the problem seeing as there is no "reaction" to it's use (if that makes sense)

Any and all help is appreciated.

Troy
BTW- all fuses seem okay too!
Old 09-05-2004, 04:21 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The headlight wiring on the Camaro is a little different than on a Firebird and, in this case, actually makes it easier to diagnose. On the Camaro, the same power feed is used for both high beam and low beam. It is switched to one or the other by the dimmer switch attached to the turn signal lever. (The Firebird leaves the low beams on when the high beams are selected so the switch is wired differently.)

I suspect that the dimmer switch itself is the problem although it could be the wiring between the switch and the headlights. To check, turn on your low beams and your fog lights. Check that all are working then switch to high beam. If the fog lights don't go off then you have a bad switch. If they do go off then you have a break in the circuit. The wire to trace is light green and it goes through the firewall near the base of the steering column and up to the front of the car where it splits for the two headlights. You really want to hope it's the switch because that wire is going to be hell to trace.
Old 09-05-2004, 05:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thank you very much for the thorough information. I was kinda suspecting the switch for those reasons.

Now all I need to know is how to replace the switch, etc...

Troy
Old 09-06-2004, 03:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

I got it working again. What a pain in the butt. First I had to figure out how things worked in/under there and then why they were not "working". The switch was actually working but the connector and/or wiring must've been "tweaked" or something so after I messed with it a bit I got it going, and know that if I have any other problems then I know where to look.

Isn't that the way it usually works

Thanks again!

Troy

Quick Reply: Brights (high beams) won't work???