Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Yet ANOTHER headunit question

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 11:07 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Yet ANOTHER headunit question

I have been out of the 'sound game' for quite a long time (nearly ten years) and need to get a crash course. I saw a Sanyo that had a combined CD and tape deck. I really like having the deck still since I am stuck in my 80's ways. Is Sanyo worth a damn now? I never really associated them with quality. Of course there are just straight decks out there as well but the combined CD is really great. I can't always just jump into the trunk to change the twelve disc at a whim and would like to have that option as well. So I guess the rteal question is what are the good brands nowadays? It used to be Pioneer last time I cared and a few before that it was Alpine. Where are we at now? Thanks!
Old 11-30-2004, 11:30 AM
TECH Resident

In 1994, I got an Alpine Tape deck with CD changer, because I thought it would be good to have both tape and CD... well I rarely used the tape deck, and listened only to the changer because it sounded SO much better. If I were you, I would just make the switch to all CD, let the tape thing go... Just get a CD deck. BTW Sanyo isn't all that great, find an Alpine, Pioneer, or a Kenwood deck.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:50 AM
TECH Resident

I got the whole Monsoon system now and it's got the tape up front. I was kind of thinking that I wanted to stick with Pioneer since I always had good luck with them. But give up on the WHOLE tape thing? Do I also have to get rid of the portable lava lamp and 8-track changer in the trunk as well? Thanks for the heads up on the Sanyo though, I didn't want to make a bad decision. I just have to get the adapter for the wheel controls with any aftermarket headunit right?
Old 12-01-2004, 02:46 PM
On The Tree

Eclipse Is The Way To Go. Oh Yeah Foamy Is AWESOME
Old 12-02-2004, 06:24 AM
TECH Resident

Eclipse is Alpine right? Sorry, just think of me of the old guy in mid-life crisis needing to relearn what is 'cool'. There is none better than the Foamy, well Pilz-e is fairly great too.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:26 PM
On The Tree

Well The Are Both Good Units. They Are Not The Same. The Eclipse Is Not As Flashy As Alpine But Has Better Features And A Better Sound. And I Have Had 3 Eclipses And Never Had A Problem With Any Of Them.