Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Need help installing aftermarket HU...

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 12:47 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help installing aftermarket HU...

Hello everyone,

I'm installing a Kenwood DDX7015 6.5" touchscreen monitor in my '02 SS. I have already wired up the stock wiring harness to the new HU 16 pin adapter. There is another 8-pin adapter that has three wires: Ignition (yellow), ground (black), and parking sensor (green).

I was under the impression that the only thing I needed for a HU install was a wiring harness so I don't have to cut up my stock wiring.

My question: What do I do with this adapter? Is it optional for some cars?

I'm thinking of just tapping into the ignition and ground wires on the 16-pin harness and grounding the parking sensor wire to the chassis of the car. Is this correct?

Sorry for the noob questions, maybe I should have done this research beforehand.

Thanks in advance,
Matthew
Old 12-22-2004, 07:44 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The parking sensor wire is supposed to go to the parking brake switch so that you can't use the video while the car is moving. Merely grounding that wire will work but will defeat the purpose.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:29 AM
TECH Resident

That was my point in grounding that wire. I'm gonna try and see if I can handle NOT watching while the car is moving, but if I have a passenger I would like for them to be able to watch. If it becomes a distraction, I will switch back.

But do you know what I'm supposed to do with the other wires?
Old 12-22-2004, 09:49 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kpowr82
That was my point in grounding that wire. I'm gonna try and see if I can handle NOT watching while the car is moving, but if I have a passenger I would like for them to be able to watch. If it becomes a distraction, I will switch back.

But do you know what I'm supposed to do with the other wires?
Yellow usually means constant 12v. Like a memory wire, so the hu doesn't lose it settings. The black just put to a ground.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:54 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

If the instructions call the yellow wire "Ignition" then you should connect it to the yellow wire at the back of the radio (retained accessory power lead) or the ACCY post in the fuse panel. That way it will have power even after the ignition is turned off, until you open a door (like the original radio).

Black should go to the black wire in the radio harness or to another good ground such as a dash mounting bolt.
Old 12-23-2004, 04:17 PM
TECH Resident

Got it, thanks for the help guys. The yellow wire was the battery/memory wire. I just tapped into the red constant 12v wire on the crutchfield wiring harness. The green, and black wires I grounded to the steering column bracket.

Man, this thing is badass, I'll get pictures up real soon.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:53 PM
TECH Addict

yes..post some pics!