Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

dual stealth boxes

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 10:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Default dual stealth boxes

hey im a noobie when it comes to subs and stereo....but i just got a 2000 SS and i want some thump. i was thinking about getting stealth boxes for both the driver and passenger side (from subthump.com) with 10 w3v2 JL audio subs. but i was searching through the forums and found some threads saying that they will cancel each other out because they are facing each other. also if i was to do this setup what would be a good, reasonably priced amp to match. Any advice would help. thanks
Old 12-27-2004, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm curious as well, cause I'm thinking of getting a passanger's side box and another 10W3v2
Old 12-27-2004, 01:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They will not cancel each other out as long as you wire them properly.
Old 12-27-2004, 02:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the problem with them facing each other is that the sound waves cancel each other out. you can wire them differently like megabass said although it probably wont be as efficient. you could put a board up in the center to prevent the sound waves from interfering with one another. to wire them differently you would have one of the speakers with the negative speaker terminal to the positive amp terminal and the positive speaker term to the neg amp term. wire the other speaker like normal. now you have the speakers where they wont cance each other.
Old 12-27-2004, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

So they'll be playing the inverse of each other, right? Or would it be better to just get one 6 or 8 ohm W3v2, put it in a driver's side stealth box and call it a day?
Old 12-27-2004, 04:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Lemme ask you something ohohsilver, you ever heard a dual stealth setup in an F-body? They DO NOT cancel each other out. The subwoofers would have to be much closer together for any cancellation to occur. You DO NOT have to reverse polarity on either subwoofer.
Old 12-27-2004, 07:51 PM
Staging Lane

Dual stealths in an f-body sound absolutely fantastic. The only way they will cancel each other out is if you wire them out of phase. So avoid doing that (as I said earlier ) and you'll be fine.
Old 12-28-2004, 03:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks for the flame firebirdude. first of all i have not heard a dual stealth setup, lets see why??????? oh its because jl doesnt make one(true some companies do, but not JL...i wonder why???) and someone just decided to stick two in their car putting one on the opposite side. it may sound like whatever because the interior of the car makes things different. according to physics two sound waves that are 180 degrees out of phase will cancel(called "destructive interference") each other out. this may not always occur depending on other factors involved. and for "MEGABASS" if two speakers are facing each other and they are hooked up properly then their sound waves are 180 degrees out of phase with one another. lets see two sound waves 180 degrees out of phase sounds like......"destructive interference". not saying that what yall are talking about doesnt sound good. its just that it is not the most efficient box setup. anyways, not trying to start a fight here. "a98firebird" go talk to your local reputable dealer and theyll tell you what you need to know. i've had a couple different setups in my camaro so if you got any questions then just pm me. come on guys, we can all learn from one another without flaming each other about it. if this causes too much trouble then please let me know mods and i'll be quiet next time.thanks
Old 12-28-2004, 04:10 PM
On The Tree

If megabass is the same "megabass" as the one on fbodyaudio, then he knows what he is talking about.

go to subthump...his company.
Old 12-28-2004, 04:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pacmantravis
If megabass is the same "megabass" as the one on fbodyaudio, then he knows what he is talking about.

go to subthump...his company.
i got no probs with anyone. i was just giving my rebuttal to being flamed.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:15 AM
TECH Resident

the issue that you will have is if you go with two different speakers and ohm ratings. They should be fine otherwise. Think about it, if you put three speakers in a box, they don't cancel each other out because they are right next to each other. The issues at hand are two different speakers for interference. You will have no problems at all if you keep them identical.

Oh, don't change the resistance. Run the speakers in parallel or series as normal. Make sure they are the same speaker and ohm rating.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

they won't cancel each other out, and that's a silly assumption anyway. they do sound good, too, cause i got them
Old 12-29-2004, 07:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if they sound good then thats cool, i learned something new and ill have to hear someones sometime. as i said i was just basing my information off of what i understand and have read about how sound waves act. i was just trying to be helpful guys. cant we all just get along???
Old 12-30-2004, 08:54 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ohohsilverado
if they sound good then thats cool, i learned something new and ill have to hear someones sometime. as i said i was just basing my information off of what i understand and have read about how sound waves act. i was just trying to be helpful guys. cant we all just get along???
we sure can!
Old 12-30-2004, 01:34 PM
Teching In

2 stealthboxes in these cars sound amazing - even one sounds awesome if it's setup at all properly. Let me recommend www.edesignaudio.com and their nine.1 for your sub amp. Tremendous quality and value. Can't go wrong.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

has anyone used elemental, im a diehard us amps fan and have no idea how they compare
Old 12-30-2004, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ohohsilverado
has anyone used elemental, im a diehard us amps fan and have no idea how they compare
US Acoustic? Is that what you mean by US amps?
Old 12-30-2004, 03:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by InfiniteReality
US Acoustic? Is that what you mean by US amps?
I don't think so tim.

US Amps is a small Florida based company that used to be huge in the comp scene only a few years ago. They have always made superb products......although they have since nearly fizzled out. OhOh, I would put ED under US amps. ED cranks out quality also, but when it comes to amps, US Amps is upscale.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

guess ill keep saving for my us amps then. ive got an old school one rated at 12.5watts but at 2ohms ive pushed a cerwin vega 12d4 real hard with it.