Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Since there is no good sail panel sub replacement, got some ?s

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 07:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Since there is no good sail panel sub replacement, got some ?s

I'm thinking about going with either the JL or MTX "stealthboxs" I assume the JL is better (based on previous JL and MTX experience) but realistically, price will probably determine my decision.

So is there anyway to put in a 6.5" (or 6.75") coax speaker in the sail panel and run it off the Monsoon amp? I believe the wiring is crossed over so that only lows run to those speakers. But is the xover at the amp, speaker, or what? Can it be removed or bypassed?

I am pretty happy with the rest of the stock speakers, just the POS subs have blown. I would like to do this cheaply, and adding the stealthbox is not exactly cheap. But I don't think I would be happy with just doing a midbass replacement (since the only drop in would be the Image Dynamics, at $190 each...)

I'm temped to try the kickers or JL 6W0s, but it seems silly to even bother with the mixed results reported here.
Old 01-15-2005, 05:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by anestech*
I'm thinking about going with either the JL or MTX "stealthboxs" I assume the JL is better (based on previous JL and MTX experience) but realistically, price will probably determine my decision.

So is there anyway to put in a 6.5" (or 6.75") coax speaker in the sail panel and run it off the Monsoon amp? I believe the wiring is crossed over so that only lows run to those speakers. But is the xover at the amp, speaker, or what? Can it be removed or bypassed?

I am pretty happy with the rest of the stock speakers, just the POS subs have blown. I would like to do this cheaply, and adding the stealthbox is not exactly cheap. But I don't think I would be happy with just doing a midbass replacement (since the only drop in would be the Image Dynamics, at $190 each...)

I'm temped to try the kickers or JL 6W0s, but it seems silly to even bother with the mixed results reported here.
You cant just replace those speakers with aftermarket as they run at 2ohms. You would get half the volume from them. Best bet is to get 15 bucks in speaker wire and rewire the car when you do the new speakers and deck.