Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Monsoon Display

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 06:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wondering the same thing myself ... hope he didn't electrocute himself

Really it's not that hard if you have an understanding of basic soldering techniques (a fine tip iron helps too ) If you run into problem PM me and I'll help out

Originally Posted by wraith051373
Thinking of trying mine this weekend, or possibly tomorrow night....
Wish I was back home I'd give you a hand in person
Old 10-18-2005, 06:22 PM
Launching!

decided the soldering tools we had were just too big, also this morning i took a better look and found a sticker saying maintenence once done to it in march of 05, (i bought the car this past summer) turns out my dad who owns an auto repair shop deals a lot with the company that repaired it (local company somewhat) so i put it all back together and he just gave them a call and they were gonna pick it up and fix it for me.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:01 PM
On The Tree

good deal for you! hopefully they remember the missing screw this time! not that you need to mention that you even know it's missing
Old 10-21-2005, 12:25 PM
Teching In

Well, did mine, non-monsoon, same setup internally, at least for the display, without taking out all the screws. It really was about a 5 minute deal, and it has been working great for the last two days...My projects always seem to work for a while before pooping the bed, so we'll see how long this one lasts. Worst case, it's now an easy fix, and next time I might actually remove and replace the solder. I did the chip and the connector only, and it worked!!!
Old 10-21-2005, 12:49 PM
On The Tree

GREAT to hear!
glad, I'm not the only one that was able to get this to work. Yea once inside it only takes a few mineuts to knock it out ... and once you've take the radio apart the whole thing from removal from the car to reinstalling it back in only talke about 10-15 min and that's if you forget to plug in the soldering iron when you get started so it's hot when you get it apart
Old 10-27-2005, 11:43 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine got repalced 3 times and still does the same ting display going hay wire! Or they never put one in it at the dealer and sayed they did!My volume button also doesn't want to work good when turning down!POS!
Old 11-04-2005, 08:35 AM
On The Tree

TA TECH

this should get your display fixed rock solid! for the volume issue get some good contact cleaner and spray in the area where the pole for the vloume **** goes into the "box" attached to the circuit card. right after spraying ... turn the hell out of the **** ... spin spin spin ... keep spinning it ...
ok now just like shampooing your hair ... spray and repeat

once you get everything back together you "should" have a solid display AND volume should be working fine

OH GOSH ... almost forgot ... check the connections on the circuit card for the "box" for the volume .. make sure there are no cracks in the solder connections there either ... that could cause "poping" and cutting in and out too
Old 11-04-2005, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default .

Originally Posted by joe_kool315
ok ... I'm workin late for you! ... headed to the house and I'll check back in a bit and see how you're doin. don't forget under the main board if you feel enterprising (where the ribbon cable connects to the main board)

If you run into a problem PM phone # and I'll call as soon as I get it, I don't have AIM and I'm barely on yahoo ... joe_kool315 there too
I pm you
Old 11-08-2005, 08:34 AM
On The Tree

Answered ... did it help?
Old 04-16-2007, 07:55 PM
On The Tree

dont mean to bring a dead thread back to life.. but this fix worked wonders..no more alien symbols on my Monsoon Head Unit thanks Joe_kool !!
Old 05-20-2007, 01:57 PM
On The Tree

Not so dead anymore, fixed my blank display because of this! Thanks guys.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by johnh
Not so dead anymore, fixed my blank display because of this! Thanks guys.
hey i made this thread forever ago, why isnt this good info stickied already! it would save a lot of people time and money.
Old 02-03-2008, 05:04 PM
TCW
On The Tree

Gonna try this too next weekend. I know its not 7:86....
Old 05-12-2008, 12:01 PM

I am gonna try this this weekend. Just to make sure, my display is gone, once in a while it comes back on. but if you shine a light on it or in the sun with the top down, then you can see the track number.
Also I don't listen to the radio and I don't like the way the car looks with the antenna up, can I disconnect this without the car "coding" on me???
Thanks, Sorry to bring up an older thread.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:27 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

The pink wire behind the radio is the antenna signal wire. You can either cut it, which will keep the antenna always, or you can wire a switch inline with it. I extended both ends to a switch I mounted in my ash tray. Now I have control over when the antenna goes up.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:46 PM

I love this idea!!!!!

That way I am not technically destroying the car right?
Thanks!
Old 11-28-2008, 08:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

why not revive it again! im doing mine as we speek wish me luck folks
Old 11-28-2008, 02:50 PM
Staging Lane

Kinda off topic, but I'll say it anyway. It seems like GM had a lot of troubles with these "cold solder joints" around these years. The display on the automatic climate control on my moms 97 Park Avenue had the same problem. Actually it was the joints on some big (1W perhaps) resistors, I almost thought the resistors might have heated up enough to reflow the solder joints on occasion. I hope GM has found new Electronics Engineers since then...
Old 03-14-2009, 02:30 PM
12 Second Club

Wow, this thread is old!

I finally got around to doing this today. I hit all the points that were mentioned with a hot iron, but didn't use any solder. I just tried to reflow what was there.
I can now see my display, but ever so slightly. Does this mean that the bulb is OK, or should I look for a new bulb? Should I try hitting the solder points again?
I didn't use new solder cuz what I had was too big and I didn't want to make a mess.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was wondering also about the bulb. My uncles display does not light up at all.

Quick Reply: Monsoon Display