Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

DVC Sub Wiring Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 10:16 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default DVC Sub Wiring Question

I'm having a hard time figuring out if I wired up my sub/amp correctly. I have a 2-ohm DVC sub, and I'm powering it with a 2 channel amp (100x2 @ 2 ohms). I have it wired independently. So is the sub seeing 200 watts total? Or do I need to wire it in series to present the amp with a 4-ohm load, and bridge the amp (it is rated at 200x1, stable at 4-ohms bridged)? Just curious...
Old 11-22-2005, 12:07 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Actually, come to think of it, the sub isn't very loud, so I think I may be sending two separate signals to each coil, and that ain't good. I'll go ahead and rewire tonight...grrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you have each voice coil running off of each channel chances are you are putting a 2 ohm load on a 4 ohm channel, most multichannel amps are 4 ohms per channel, and bridged would have a 2 ohm load. i have my dual 2 ohm subs running in parallel to put a 1 ohm load on my amp, if your amp is stable at 4 ohms, wire the subs in series i believe to give the amp a 4 ohm load. then it should sound fine.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:02 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Welp, just got done wiring it in series, and there wasn't much change in performance. This amp is rated at 279W x 2 @ 2 ohms, and 278W x 1 bridged @ 4 ohms. I messed with the gain some, and am now getting the bass I like out of it. At least I don't have to worry about sending it different signals from the right/left channels, and it did simplify the wiring.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:05 AM
On The Tree

what kind of amp are you using. Alot of the mid level amps made are 1 ohm stable bridged but you'd need to go to the manufacturers site to confirm. Whatever you do do not max out your "gain" on the amp as this will drive you into clipping and distortion at lower volumes and run a significant chance of frying your amp. The gain shouldn't be more than about 3/4. find the full range the gain will turn (min to max) and then put it about 3/4 of the way to max. A little more if you absolutley need to but I'd recomend getting a bigger 1 ohm stable amp if you need more juice and using this amp to run some good door speakers (like the 2 ohm infinity's everyone on here raves about) by running a DVC in series you are really limiting the performance of the sub AND the signals at each voice coil won't be 100% in phase with each other further limiting the performance. With DVC to get optimum performance should be hooked in parallel AND the wires from the amp to the speaker should be electrically the same length so the signal gets to the voice coils at the same time. All of my DVC enclosures I run a single speaker wire of suitable gague to the box and then 2 seperate equal length wires to each voice coil from the back of the jack on the box.

hope that helps
Old 11-23-2005, 09:25 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

It is just a small MTX 3202 amp...gain is a little less than 3/4 of the way up (although I'll double check just to make sure). I wasn't going for a huge system...just something that sounded better than the stock stuff. And that I achieved.

Thanks for the input.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:31 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
I'm having a hard time figuring out if I wired up my sub/amp correctly. I have a 2-ohm DVC sub, and I'm powering it with a 2 channel amp (100x2 @ 2 ohms). I have it wired independently. So is the sub seeing 200 watts total? Or do I need to wire it in series to present the amp with a 4-ohm load, and bridge the amp (it is rated at 200x1, stable at 4-ohms bridged)? Just curious...
Give me model # of sub and amp.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:32 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Don't worry about it...already took care of it
Old 11-23-2005, 11:39 AM
On The Tree

"Both channels combined can drive a minimum of a 4-ohm mono load for max power.
Note: Please pay attention and make sure the speakers or woofers are the correct IMPEDANCE (OHMS) BEFORE attaching to the amplifier."

If you find yourself wanting a little more down the road this would be an excellent amp for your front speakers as it's a good full range amp. If/when you do upgrade consider a class D amp just for your sub and you'll be able to adjust the bass way up if you wanna get freaky and down more moderatly for easy listening and they are optimised to give you the best low frequency reproduction.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:50 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Thanks for the info man. I think it sounds great right now bridged...replacing the four speakers in the doors/sails made the biggest difference. Before, I would get tons of bass, and not be able to hear my music. Now it just all goes loud, and sounds great. With as much as I love music, I can't believe I didn't do this long ago.