Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Setting LPF Crossover? Which one is better?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 07:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Setting LPF Crossover? Which one is better?

Ok, I have a Kenwood eXcelon unit with System E+ crossover. The amp is a Kenwood with 400x1 watts @ 2 ohms, LPF slope is 18db octave (not sure what the head unit slope is). The subwoofer is a JL Audio 12w3v2 in a sealed milhouse box. On the head unit, I have 4 choices: 50hz, 80hz (I think this is my target), 120hz, or through. If I were to use the head unit crossover, I should turn the amp's crossover frequency as high as it can go, correct?

Now, I'm trying to figure if I'm better off using the crossover on the amp rather than the one on the head unit? Thanks.

Last edited by Jeff 97 Formula; 01-08-2006 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-11-2006, 05:44 AM
Ls1tech Bad Ass

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the LPF on the amp is most likely going to be your best bet and the most accurate, seeing as most head units only give you a few frequency levels to choose from.

if you really want, you can use both... it wont sound better or worse either way, but yea--for most applications you'd most likely want to shoot for something around 80-100 or so hertz.

if you were to just use the crossover from the deck then yes, you would want to either leave the crossover from the amp off, or set it at the highest frequency response possible
Old 01-11-2006, 05:52 AM
12 Second Club

i asked the same question a while back. the verdict was that the crossover on the amp, being variable and a few other things would be better than the HU crossover in most cases. let me see if i can find the thread.

edit: found it https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/318506-hu-crossover-amp-crossover.html
Old 01-11-2006, 07:10 PM
TECH Regular

Well, I think I will be using the amp's crossover set at 80hz with the head unit's set at "through". It seems like the output is higher when using the amp's crossover compared to the head unit's at the same frequency (80hz on head unit, amp at highest setting). Just curious to see how many others are using the amp's, or the head unit's.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Really they are both crossed over at the same frequency but the DB roll off is probably much higher on your particular head unit.

Its always best to get a DSP (digital sound processor) but money doesnt always allow for it. In my experience the preamp side of the amplifier usually is the better way to go when compared to head unit.

Oh and in case anyone wants to know LPF = Low Pass Filter
Old 01-14-2006, 12:18 AM
TECH Regular

What I meant by more punch is the bass is overall louder at all bass frequencies, even the deepest notes. Almost like I would have to lower the gain a bit when using the amp's crossover vs the head unit's crossover.

Quick Reply: Setting LPF Crossover? Which one is better?