Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Are there any write-ups on aftermarket HU installs for LS1's???

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 08:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are there any write-ups on aftermarket HU installs for LS1's???

Trying to see if there are any writeups for this. Im gonna do it my self and was justs gonna "wing it" but It would be nice to have come insurace. Thanks!
Old 02-17-2006, 03:05 PM
On The Tree

Check the FAQ for the extra stuff you will need. Beyond that it is pretty straight up. The wiring harness is all labeled and your new head unit will be as well. Pop off the radio bezel (carefully), remove a couple of screws and the radio comes right out. Assemble the mounting kit, slide the radio in, plug everything in, use the old screws to mount the kit, replace the bezel, and you are golden. Have fun!
Old 02-17-2006, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

Why do people make this a lot harder than it is

Like Ded71 said, get the adapter harness from your local radio store, plug and play the rest of the way.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:50 PM
12 Second Club

Remember to get a adaptor for the antenna. The Camaro is the easiest car I ever put a stereo in. For some reason people think they need special adaptors to be able to work with the Monsoon amp, but none are needed. A typical GM wire harness you can find about anywhere, the hu kit for mounting, a antenna adaptor... take your time removing the switches on the bezel and remove the 2 screws. What I normally do, is inside the house I mount the sleeve for the HU in the dash kit, then connect the wire harness to the new HU...Then all you have to do when you get out to your car is remove the bezel, the 2 screws and unplug the stock hu. With the already mounted HU, just plug in the antenna to the adaptor and plug in the harness. Put the screws back in and your done. If you want to keep steering wheel controls it would be best to do it all at one time. A pac swi-x is cheapest and depending on the brand of HU you have, pac makes some that plug in and is really simple(currently I think JVC, Alpine and some Kenwoods) are supported. Good luck, should turn out fine and I noticed a big difference adding a Kenwood to my stock sytem. Remember with the new HU, if you have the options to remove some of the lower bass, play with it and you can get the stock system sounding pretty good. I set my fronts at 120hz up and they sounded much better.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I had all of the other stuff. Just never dealt with wiring and such and didnt want to screw anything up. Hey Rotwiler, the antenna adapter just plugs into the back of the HU?
Old 02-18-2006, 11:25 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 262 Likes on 226 Posts

Most cars use "Motorola" antenna connectors - sort of like a push-in cable TV connector with a long center pin. For some reason, GM decided that they wanted to use the same design only smaller. Aftermarket radios have the standard socket but GM antennas have the smaller plug. So you need an adapter that is a six inch piece of antenna cable with a small socket on one end and the standard size plug on the other. Just plug it in between the original antenna cable and the new radio.
Old 02-18-2006, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks!!
Old 12-07-2006, 06:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol it took me 10 mins to swap mine out! I hot the 2 wire harnes so it would be a direct pug in best buy-circuit city are your friends! Tell them what HU you have and car! They will make it really easy for you