Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Rear seat delete with sub enclosure

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 03:23 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rear seat delete with sub enclosure

After looking around at the different ideas that I could do for a sub enclosure I finally decided to combine a rear sear delete with the box. First off I didnt want to lose any trunk space so the normal enclosures were out. Secondly I didnt want anything overpowering. I build all my own enclosures anyway, and customize the box size to the cabin size so that right amount of sound is heard and the best sound quality is available. I never have anyone ride in my rear seats, so that became my starting point. I removed the seats and seat back and found a nice depression area that would be a great area to sit a sub. I am currently in the fabricating process of building the seat delete box, that will house the sub enclosure and also allow me to have a cubby hole to hide certain things to be unseen from the outside. You know all the essentials, CDs, guns, grenades, etc etc. Here are some current pictures and I can keep yall updated as the process goes along if yall would want me to. The lid is going to be custom fit to wrap around the armrests and sitting against the back wall. It will then sit on top of the center board. The sub box will then be built on top of this firing down into the depression with a half moon cut in the rear of the lid, in between the lid and the seat back, allowing the sound to escape. This will give the sound a longer route to travel and give it the best sound for the cabin size and area.

Old 09-01-2007, 03:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very interested in your progress man. I am thinking about doing the same thing. I am not too interested in putting a sub back there but do want to delete my rear seats.
Old 09-01-2007, 04:46 PM
On The Tree

I would deff. get rid of the rear seat belts. Should be pretty awesome. I too don't carry anybody in the back seats( it's my own dumb rule) and think thats a perfect spot to use for subs/N2o/Guns/Bodies ect.ect.LOL
Old 09-01-2007, 05:19 PM
Staging Lane

I like this idea a lot! Can't wait to see the progress.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

subscribing...
Old 09-01-2007, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

hmm MOAR ! ! PICS, id like to do this if it turns out well
Old 09-01-2007, 08:18 PM
TECH Regular

Hmm same general idea for my project this weekend, only i am not trying to do a rear seat delete so much as i am just looking for a convenient hidden place for some small system in my convertible... This is just the base mold, but it will get much more work as i get the time. I got the hard part out of the way so i can now just troll through it at my own leisure

Old 09-03-2007, 08:29 PM
Launching!

Just thought I would post up the progress. I am about 85% done. The only thing I have left to do is carpet it, hook up the power, and cut my cubby hole. After that It should look nice and clean and very hard to figure out that its a sub. Heres some picture progress.

Here are the braces that will hold it in place. I used the seat belt bolt ups for anchors:

Here is the test fit for the lid:

Front angle of the test fit, still have to hack off the front lip:

Front lip hacked off, you can see how everything sits nice and flush all the way around:

Old 09-03-2007, 11:56 PM
TECH Addict

its comin along pretty good, nice job! i'll be doing the same thing only fiber glassed to try and save some weight
Old 09-04-2007, 12:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Very cool. I've been wanting to do something like this for a while but was afraid I would start and then realize, I dont know what I'm doing.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:03 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by michaelg589
Very cool. I've been wanting to do something like this for a while but was afraid I would start and then realize, I dont know what I'm doing.

..... lol
Old 09-05-2007, 07:46 AM
Launching!

I have everything written down and all the measurements yall will need, so if anyone is interested in doing this let me know and I can pass it along.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Im actually starting a similar project next week to put 2 18" subs in my buddies TA, so those measurments would help me a ton

Greg
Old 09-05-2007, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

so are you leaving the bottom open like that? id suggest fiberglassing it, otherwise the box wont be anywhere close to sealed. the rest looks bad *** tho.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:21 PM
TECH Regular

me and greg gonna put some **** back there to make it rain. im thinking that rear seat delete, then some standard square boxes to mount on top of that ****, make it nice and clean looking. need to be ported tho and carpetted. we got some work to do...

nice job so far man. keep us updated
Old 09-05-2007, 01:49 PM

I'd love to get some measurements too. I've been thinking about getting rid of the back seats to haul drums around, and stuff like that. So, if you could PM me some of the dimensions, or just post 'em up, that would be great man.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:33 PM
Launching!

There have been a few minor changes thus far. The box no longer will be firing into the depression. Instead it is sittin on top of the seat delete. It would have been a far bigger project then what I was wanting to do. It will still look clean and have a very unmolested look to it. Almost as if the seat delete came stock. The sub, which is a single ten inch enclosure would have not sounded right seated in the hole like I had originally planned. It had an echoey sound to it. Hard to explain really unless you could hear. Almost as if the enclosure were too big. I hope to be done tonight with it all. I will get a ton of pics and the measurements for both the box that was built and the seat delete. Make sure if you plan on doing something like this you have a ton of cardboard and patience. I had to measure cut, measure cut, and measure cut a ton of cardboard to get it to fit right. Hopefully the final installment will come tonight.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:51 PM
TECH Addict

I like the idea but I want something smaller and more compact. I may have to just start taking measurements and make me something!

BTW, 69z-28, I love your car!!! I see it all the time here and on camaroz28 and every time I do it gives me a woody!
Old 09-05-2007, 04:16 PM
TECH Resident

sweet.. keep the pics comin...
Old 09-05-2007, 04:17 PM

Sounds awesome, can't wait for the final pics tonight. It looks pretty good so far. And I know exactly what you're talking about with the echo-y sounding sub-enclosure. I installed my friends stereo system for him, and ended up having to make him an enclosure, cause the one he bought sounded bleh. haha.

Quick Reply: Rear seat delete with sub enclosure