Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Infinity 62.7i's

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 06:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Infinity 62.7i's

Well, since one of my stock speakers was shitting out on me, i purchased a set. I'm having a hard time installing them. For those of you who installed them, i'd like some help. I'm installing on an 02 z28 conv (if that helps)

My FIRST issue is that of course, the speakers are a few inches shy of the size of the stock brackets. So i threw that big silver back piece supplied by infinity, but now it bulks out too much (and it doesn't even fit well). Also, the speakers don't really sound all that. Their is absolutely NO bass in them. I didn't use any wire from the crossover supplied. i just spliced the wires from the stock speaker, and connected them to the inifinity's.

Do i have to use the clips supplied, remove that silver back-piece i used, and just fit it onto the stock brackets? Also, if i cut a few inches off the crossover wires supplied, will that help with the sound? Thanks a lot guys. I've been driving without door panels for a week now, and it SUX !!!!!
Old 10-24-2007, 06:58 PM
Teching In

ok cutting the wires down shorter aint going to do anythnig. the bracket think u just need to make work. and if your speakers came with a crossover you should probly be useing it, and maybe u have the tweeter wires hooked up to your main speaker, . The stock speakers in a Camaro are coaxials but they have 4 wires running to them. One pair for the tweeters and one pair for the midrange. A standard replacement coaxial has one pos. and one neg., that's it. Unless you can access the tweeter wires on your Pioneer speakers and wire the tweeter wires seperate from your midrange wires they won't work right.

Last edited by krazykarl454; 10-24-2007 at 07:17 PM.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No you dont need to use the cross over since the AMP is already crossed over. I too think they lack bass. They have high's but do lack the bass. I have these in a camaro and they mounted in just fine...
Old 10-25-2007, 05:35 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those should mount ok without the mounting hardware they supply. The Infinity's have always seemed to lack midbass. That's nothing new for them. Both sets I tried in my doors did that. Aftermarket power helps a bit.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:35 AM
Teching In

well there ya go dude. those guys know there **** already.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

I see, so i guess the bass is out of the solution. I will try to snap a picture of the size difference between the infinity's and the stock brackets. NO WAY will they fit on without some sort of mounting gear. I installed it during the night....

Now that the door speakers are replaced, i started to notice the rear ones giving me a distorted bass.... time for those to get replaced as well. Should i 62.7i them as well? Or go a diff route. I don't want the car to have NO bass at all....
Old 10-25-2007, 01:20 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by ophee
I see, so i guess the bass is out of the solution. I will try to snap a picture of the size difference between the infinity's and the stock brackets. NO WAY will they fit on without some sort of mounting gear. I installed it during the night....

Now that the door speakers are replaced, i started to notice the rear ones giving me a distorted bass.... time for those to get replaced as well. Should i 62.7i them as well? Or go a diff route. I don't want the car to have NO bass at all....
Are you sure you didn't get 52.7i speakers (5-1/4 rather than 6-1/2)? The 62.7i should fit without modification.

DO NOT put those speakers in the sail panels. The sail panels are subs and get low-pass filtered signal from the amp. Those speakers would basically do nothing with that signal. If you have a Firebird, the eD 7kv.2 subs are a good choice to match the DVC wiring. There are additional options for Camaros such as CDT from Kee Audio.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:41 PM
On The Tree

Yup, i'm pretty sure. I got the 62.7i's. I snapped a few pictures of the setup i've got. It bulks out WAY too much INMO. :

Old 10-25-2007, 01:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You need to take out the gray things that came with the speaker you will not be using those... Just screw the speaker into the stock location...
Old 10-25-2007, 02:23 PM
Banned

^^^What he said. The screws seem to line up just fine with the stock holes. Isn't that for the Infinity grills? Without those everything should fit fine.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:26 PM
Banned

Just out of curiousity how many wires do you have hooked up to the speaker? When you say you spliced them on did you hook up all 4 or just 2? They should have a little midbass just not good midbass.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:13 PM
On The Tree

I will take pictures of them within the hour. I just have to undo everything, and remove the electric tape from around the wires. Thanks a lot for the quick responses guys!!!!
Old 10-25-2007, 07:30 PM
On The Tree

Alright, here we go. What i got was that : The short wires were going to the T (tweeter?) side, in which the wire with the BLACK is going to the (-) side, and the other red wire is to the (+) side. And on the LEFT side of the speaker, the LONG-wired side, the wires were going to the W (woofer?), in which the black wire was running to the (-) side and the red to the (+). This is how it looks.... let me know guys. So is this setup right?? The stock speakers had the wires soldered, of course i don't have the tools.. so i just twisted them together.

This is the LEFT side of the speaker

This is the RIGHT side:

I removed the silver panel, and you're right, the infinity's fit perfectly over the brackets. Thank you!

Last edited by ophee; 10-25-2007 at 09:01 PM.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:07 PM
Banned

Follow your red and black w/red stripe wires back to the harness and verify your polarity is correct. These are the color for the wires on the harness:
BLACK - left front speaker tweeter positive output
YELLOW - left front speaker tweeter negative output
DARK BLUE - left front speaker midrange positive output
LIGHT BLUE - left front speaker midrange negative output
LIGHT GREEN - right front speaker positive input
LIGHT GREEN - right front speaker tweeter positive output
PURPLE - right front speaker tweeter negative output
Old 10-25-2007, 09:14 PM
On The Tree

Thank you so much for the help. I haven't seen these color wires yet, but i'll give it a check right now. Since you know your stuff pretty well, got any nice sounding set of speakers for my rear ?? You can PM me. (02 z28, convertible) Thanks again. I'll post back any updates.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ophee
The stock speakers had the wires soldered, of course i don't have the tools.. so i just twisted them together.
Wow. Spend the $5 on quick disconnect terminals and do it right.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:24 PM
On The Tree

Alright, well i got the speaker in without using the brackets (thanks guys) But now i'm having ONE HELL OF A TIME putting the door panel back. I didn't completely remove the window/lock pad when removing teh panels. I just happened to be able to maneuver the panels out without removoing the pad. But now i can't fit the panels back on! The pads keep getting in the way !!!! I've got a question. Do these wires come out? Can i just pop these things out? It'd be easier if i can take the whole window/pad out. As you can see, my panel doesn't fit OVER the pads: Any help with this?

Can i pull these wires out?

Panel doesn't fit over.

Last edited by ophee; 11-08-2007 at 03:21 PM.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:14 PM
TECH Resident

dont pull the wires out.... Each of those molex style plugs simply pulls out besi2des the power mirror one which you must disconnect at hte connector... not the panel.

Quick Reply: Infinity 62.7i's