Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

GP GXP vs. Integra with cam'd type R DC5 engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008 | 03:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by AznMuscle
Wesman...you wouldn't happen to have a srt 4 would you?

Moving on to the honda debate...they can be fast, they can be nice, but it is all preference. I personally want a eg hatch with a low boosted d motor for a DD. Fast enough to take down a 96-98 Mustang, and could probably hang with a new edge, and out of boost would still get good gas milage.
+1 My B16A2 hatch was a great DD . I thought about the K series swap . But i feel i made a better choice a K series swap woulda put me about were my almost stock LS1 is. Also i heard K swapped hatches could get well into 12,s with minor bolt-ons. I don,t know can anyone shed some light??
Old 10-15-2008 | 04:22 PM
***Repost Police***

They can, hence some of the debate in this thread. 230-240whp in a 2600lb car moves out pretty well.
Old 10-15-2008 | 04:26 PM
11 Second Club

The problem with K swaps are the price and fab work. Guy I know has a k20a eg hatch...so far, been around 10k for that set up, and still isn't tuned right, and still can't hang with me. It is damn quick, don't get me wrong, but not quite at the ls1 level YET. I agree with elevens...power/weight ratio is amazing. My only complaint against Honda's is their power band. Not making power untill 5k or even 6k kind of sucks...I know that is why they run retardedly short gear ratios (gsr-4.40, don't know b16), but I like low end torque lol.
Old 10-15-2008 | 04:33 PM
***Repost Police***

I like low-end torque too, and would LOVE if my car had some sort of V6 (like the C32 from the NSX ). BUT that doesn't necessarily mean that they can't launch. I didn't have much of a problem launching my GS-R against comparable RWD cars. Just gotta know how to work the throttle/clutch to keep the fine balance between smoking the tires and bogging down.
Old 10-15-2008 | 04:42 PM
11 Second Club

Yea, FWD is something to master. All I get when I drive my buddies b18c1 civic is torque steer lol. I have never launched it, but like 20-30 mph drops make that bitch move to the right hard. Oh...**** the c32. Ls1 dammit. lol.
Old 10-15-2008 | 04:45 PM
***Repost Police***

An LSx swap would be nice and everything, but I was more talking about the car coming from the factory with a 3.0 or 3.2l V6. 50rwhp more (not to mention WAY more torque) would make this car pretty damn amazing.
Old 10-15-2008 | 05:00 PM
11 Second Club

Ahh..factory, yes. Or maybe a baby turbo on the f20-f22. By the way.....the guy I mentioned with the k20a in the hatch...they just finished putting a f20 into a gutted crx. With a **** tune (lean as ****), and slicks, it went 13.4. On a dyno, they made 138 hp, idk the torque. For perspective on the dyno...my buddies large *** turbo'd, race gas, srt 4 put down 380 hp (normally like 420), and I put down 270 with 279 torque.
Old 10-15-2008 | 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
As soon as I saw that you were the last poster, I knew I'd be in for another retarded post. And of course you didn't disappoint. If you're seeing people with VTEC B18 swapped Civics running anywhere in the 15s, then people around you can't drive. My stock 152k mile '94 Integra GS-R cracked off a 14.97 @ 93.82mph, and had a best trapspeed of 93.98mph. Put that engine in a lighter car (with the right transmission), and low 14s with bolt-ons is expected. And the K-series is WAY more potent. And I've never known Honda manual transmissions to be weak at all. The late 90s/early 00s V6 automatics had their problems, but the manuals were fairly bulletproof. We get it that you don't like them, but don't go spewing random garbage.
You are nothing more than a big talking internet toolbag with a Honda S2000 that your mommy gave to you. You don't know your *** from a hole in the ground, and you sure as hell don't have ANY real world experience with anything. I'd be surprised if you could change a light bulb. Everything you say it based on something you read or something you heard from someone else. What are you, like 17 years old?? You're a joke.

And yes, I said B18 Civics run 15's. They might run 14's under PERFECT conditions, just like a stock LS1 could hit 12's under perfect conditions. Doesn't happen very often though, so yes, they run 15's. 90% of the guys running them at the track are running 15's, and thats what matters, not what you think they theoretically should run. And as for your GSR, you must have been on a downhill track to get a 2700lb car with 128ft/lbs of torque at 6200RPM to break into the 14's. Or you're just making it up because you've never actually left your mom's basement.

As for you "not knowing Honda transmissions to be weak", you've once again just confirmed you really don't know you're *** from a hole in the ground. Put any decent amount of power (in honda terms, that could be 150HP) and they fall apart faster than your arguements. They run tiny gearsets and synchro/blocker ring assemblies, the entire thing is so small you can pick it up and throw it. They blow up all the time, my friend has gone through at least a few in his hatch, everything from gears blowing up to the input shaft bearing locking up to the input shaft just plain breaking. They are economy car transmissions, they were never designed to be shifted fast, raced, or have more than the stock power put through them. Its simple design limitations that you wouldn't be able to grasp if they struck you in the face.

If thats not enough evidence for you, just go over to the 8thgencivic forums. Honda can't keep transmissions in the new Civic Si's, within about 2,000 miles of leaving the showroom floor the synchro assemblies are completely shot in 2nd and 3rd gear, and the transmissions lock drivers out of gear and just generally shift like crap. The dealerships change the synchros out, and 1500 miles later the owner is back again with the same complaint, due to the shitty design and parts.

Come back you have something to add besides your own bullshit opinion that nobody cares to hear.
Old 10-15-2008 | 05:44 PM
11 Second Club

While I am not totally agreeing with everything being said.....wes is right with the trans problems, well from what I have seen anyway. I know of several people with d motors having their trans take a **** on them, let alone some of the higher powered ls/vtec guys and their b16/18 trans. I have been over to SHO, and there are quite a few transmission problems.
Old 10-15-2008 | 07:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BlkZ28559
+1 My B16A2 hatch was a great DD . I thought about the K series swap . But i feel i made a better choice a K series swap woulda put me about were my almost stock LS1 is. Also i heard K swapped hatches could get well into 12,s with minor bolt-ons. I don,t know can anyone shed some light??
they can run 12's all day with the right setup and driver...i know cause i did it myself...i don't know too much about gxp's but maybe the guy who raced you in the k20 integra doesnt know how to drive that thing yet. i remember when i first had my k-series swap done and was running only high 13's with bad launching. after consecutive hours of seat time at the track(1/8th), i suddenly dropped from 9.2's to 8.8's with the same exact setup, true street tires. after i got my car tuned and now running bfg drag radials, i can run cosistent 8.3's @87with still spinning most of 1st gear.
i feel 7's are around the corner with 23x8x13 slicks.

a k-series swap is well worth the money imo...just like guys would rather get an ws6 or ss over a regular trans am or z28. Why?? because they have the money and want to start out with something better/faster. maybe the name just sounds better. ss???ws6?? who knows...

Last edited by excaliburk20; 10-15-2008 at 07:32 PM.
Old 10-15-2008 | 08:14 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by excaliburk20
they can run 12's all day with the right setup and driver...i know cause i did it myself...i don't know too much about gxp's but maybe the guy who raced you in the k20 integra doesnt know how to drive that thing yet. i remember when i first had my k-series swap done and was running only high 13's with bad launching. after consecutive hours of seat time at the track(1/8th), i suddenly dropped from 9.2's to 8.8's with the same exact setup, true street tires. after i got my car tuned and now running bfg drag radials, i can run cosistent 8.3's @87with still spinning most of 1st gear.

a k-series swap is well worth the money imo...just like guys would rather get an ws6 or ss over a regular trans am or z28. Why?? because they have the money and want to start out with something better/faster. maybe the name just sounds better. ss???ws6?? who knows...
Actually there is no power difference between any ls1 model......moving on. k20 is the ****. I want one, but since I want to do 90% of the work myself, I will stick with something easier, like a boosted d, or a b swap.
Old 10-15-2008 | 08:59 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
You are nothing more than a big talking internet toolbag with a Honda S2000 that your mommy gave to you. You don't know your *** from a hole in the ground, and you sure as hell don't have ANY real world experience with anything. I'd be surprised if you could change a light bulb. Everything you say it based on something you read or something you heard from someone else. What are you, like 17 years old?? You're a joke.

And yes, I said B18 Civics run 15's. They might run 14's under PERFECT conditions, just like a stock LS1 could hit 12's under perfect conditions. Doesn't happen very often though, so yes, they run 15's. 90% of the guys running them at the track are running 15's, and thats what matters, not what you think they theoretically should run. And as for your GSR, you must have been on a downhill track to get a 2700lb car with 128ft/lbs of torque at 6200RPM to break into the 14's. Or you're just making it up because you've never actually left your mom's basement.

As for you "not knowing Honda transmissions to be weak", you've once again just confirmed you really don't know you're *** from a hole in the ground. Put any decent amount of power (in honda terms, that could be 150HP) and they fall apart faster than your arguements. They run tiny gearsets and synchro/blocker ring assemblies, the entire thing is so small you can pick it up and throw it. They blow up all the time, my friend has gone through at least a few in his hatch, everything from gears blowing up to the input shaft bearing locking up to the input shaft just plain breaking. They are economy car transmissions, they were never designed to be shifted fast, raced, or have more than the stock power put through them. Its simple design limitations that you wouldn't be able to grasp if they struck you in the face.

If thats not enough evidence for you, just go over to the 8thgencivic forums. Honda can't keep transmissions in the new Civic Si's, within about 2,000 miles of leaving the showroom floor the synchro assemblies are completely shot in 2nd and 3rd gear, and the transmissions lock drivers out of gear and just generally shift like crap. The dealerships change the synchros out, and 1500 miles later the owner is back again with the same complaint, due to the shitty design and parts.

Come back you have something to add besides your own bullshit opinion that nobody cares to hear.
I love this guy. A man after my own heart. Gets to the point, has the facts and will kick you in the nutz all at the same time. Id hug you but my hands are covering my sack.
Old 10-15-2008 | 09:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by excaliburk20

with DRs and 16" rims i should be in the high 12s but i can't fit rims that small over my brakes so i have to swap over the whole brake assembly from a normal grand prix before i can. I don't think that car has a chance unless he really can't drive cause even on top end i was pulling, it was only close in mid range.
Old 10-15-2008 | 11:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by AznMuscle
Actually there is no power difference between any ls1 model......moving on. k20 is the ****. I want one, but since I want to do 90% of the work myself, I will stick with something easier, like a boosted d, or a b swap.
+1 K series swap to much work+ money. Go with the B series It,ll cost alittle more than D series But more potential for HP. If i were to buy another Honda/Acura it would be strictly for a DD. I,m saving up to mod my Z28 gave up on trying to build fast imports.
Old 10-15-2008 | 11:39 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlkZ28559
+1 K series swap to much work+ money. Go with the B series It,ll cost alittle more than D series But more potential for HP. If i were to buy another Honda/Acura it would be strictly for a DD. I,m saving up to mod my Z28 gave up on trying to build fast imports.
Fa sho. I would rather make my T/A a 11 sec car, and have a dd civic. But for me...DD's should be mid to low 14s lol.
Old 10-16-2008 | 05:07 AM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02

I'm not gonna bother with half your post, as I don't care to deal with personal attacks. But some of it I will address. I've never claimed to be a mechanic, but I have had my share of light experience. Pulled the motor out of my old '98 Mustang GT in my garage for a headgasket change and a cam swap (with help, of course) for one, and helped friends pull out 302s and LS1s for varying levels of work. And as for the runs in my GS-R, you can believe them or not... I really don't care. The 14.97 was my best et, but I had numerous 15.0x runs, and a 15.00 the same night. Temple Academy Dragway in Temple, TX. My GS-R put down 142whp and 120lb/ft when I dynoed it with 189k miles on the clock. So like I said, if people with swapped B18C1/5 Civics can't even run 14s, that's their own problem. Not mine. As far as the transmissions are concerned, I'm no expert. But neither are you, as it seems that you are talking about what you've read and heard from other people as well (hypocrite?). From what I've seen/heard, GS-R and Type R transmissions are fairly stout. As far as the new SIs are concerned I have heard of troubles with them, but it's a new car; teething problems are expected. I never said you didn't know what you were talking about occasionally (though your *facts* are certainly and BLATANTLY tainted with opinion), but if you don't like what's being talked about, don't come into the threads. They conveniently have the topic listed, so you don't have to read them if you don't want
Old 10-16-2008 | 05:09 PM
Teching In

I,ve owned several honda/acuras and i have never had tranny issues. Plenty of worn out clutches But i have heard that the K series tranny,s were weak.
Old 10-16-2008 | 05:11 PM
11 Second Club

The new z3 has been having issues..but it is a new tranny as well. Idk about the a, a2, or a3 trans though. My friends beats the **** out of his EP3, and has had no issues so far.
Old 10-16-2008 | 05:16 PM
Teching In

I was really hell bent on the H2B swap H22A engine 2.2l I4 DOHC VTEC with a B16A2 tranny. $10,000 Just for a K-swap Invest that in an LS1 you,ll Have a real BEAST!!!! IMO a H/C/I LS1 is soooo much better than a K-swap Honda car.
Old 10-16-2008 | 05:54 PM
11 Second Club

My thoughts exactly. Plus it can actually hook up lol. I'll keep a civic for dd use...they just arn't ment to be extreamly fast, especially in the 1/4 (I'm talking street cars, not full out $300k drag cars).