Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

2005 Subaru WRX STI

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008 | 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

The only way he's going to keep up with you in the 1/4 mile is if he launches his car. So if he's not game for abusing his car by slipping the clutch from 6,000RPM off the line, the race is yours.

LS1 is much more powerful than an STI, the only way they can keep up is by coming off the line quickly to make up for lack of top end farther down the track. I raced my friends STI on the highway with my bolt on LS1, it wasn't even a race.
Old 12-07-2008 | 11:55 PM
Teching In

Let us know what happens when you line up. I'm not sure why you say AWD is boring. Some of us like traction 24/7/365. I just drive to the track, drive into the staging lanes, race and go back home on the same footwear.
Old 12-09-2008 | 04:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by diambo4life
Let us know what happens when you line up. I'm not sure why you say AWD is boring. Some of us like traction 24/7/365. I just drive to the track, drive into the staging lanes, race and go back home on the same footwear.

I just like RWD in the rain!!!! Way more fun. I had a Eclipse 97 GST (7-bolt...booo), and i have driven the GSX. GSX was awesome for traction. I just think RWD is the most fun.
Old 12-11-2008 | 01:36 AM
TECH Addict
10 Year Member

Like someone said, it always feel faster on the passenger side...my money is on your WS6.
Old 12-11-2008 | 08:49 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by diambo4life
I think it's insanely boring.
Some of us don't like the added weight, poor weight distribution and power loss of AWD. Or the boredom that ensues with driving it around a track (power-on understeer due to driving front wheels as well). It even makes drag racing somewhat more boring, too simple.
I used to think AWD was the **** until I actually got a DSM, got it to the point it is now, and took it to lebanon valley and Watkins glenn a few times...

I don't think AWD is more fun or even quicker in any form of racing, except for off-road rally (not road rally).
Old 12-11-2008 | 09:14 AM
Banned

I dont know why you think it will be a drivers race, if you hook from a dig you will murder him. STIs are not that fast at all, Ive seen a few of them race ls1 cars and they dont do very well at all.
Old 12-11-2008 | 05:50 PM
9 Second Club

Really? Stock for stock it's ALOT closer than you'd think. Low 13's are not a problem for a stock STI. An STI in general will put about 60 less WHP to FOUR of it's tires than an LS1 powered F-Bod will put to it's rear wheels. So you see from any kind of a roll it's an easy win for the LS1. Run from a dig against a guy that can drive his STI and make it work like it should you will be trying to mow him down upstairs.
Old 12-11-2008 | 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JFM-jr
Really? Stock for stock it's ALOT closer than you'd think. Low 13's are not a problem for a stock STI. An STI in general will put about 60 less WHP to FOUR of it's tires than an LS1 powered F-Bod will put to it's rear wheels. So you see from any kind of a roll it's an easy win for the LS1. Run from a dig against a guy that can drive his STI and make it work like it should you will be trying to mow him down upstairs.
You're forgetting that those low 13 second 1/4 miles can only be achieved by the STi if you get a perfect launch. Meaning slipping the clutch aggressively from around 6,000RPM off the line to get going. Many owners value their powertrains more than that, and therefore don't do it.

If you run an STi in the 1/4 mile without launching, its a 14.0 car. I've seen it multiple times, you aren't going to hit low 13's unless you launch it like you want to break something.
Old 12-11-2008 | 09:36 PM
9 Second Club

Nonsense on a 6K launch. I left at 4500 with my Legacy and ran a 14.0 The STI has a much tougher transmission than the Legacy as well. You are far from putting an STI on the ragged edge of breaking to get some low 13 sec runs out of it and thats a fact. Lets also not forget these cars take to modding very well. In fact simple retune,exhuast on an STI and it's a mid 12 sec car.
Old 12-11-2008 | 09:56 PM
***Repost Police***

Nonsense on a 6K launch. I left at 4500 with my Legacy and ran a 14.0 The STI has a much tougher transmission than the Legacy as well. You are far from putting an STI on the ragged edge of breaking to get some low 13 sec runs out of it and thats a fact. Lets also not forget these cars take to modding very well. In fact simple retune,exhuast on an STI and it's a mid 12 sec car.
Yep, but not to Wesman; it's an import and it sucks. And plenty of people shatter the stock 10 bolts on F-bodies at stock power levels too, so I don't know why he always makes it seem like F-bodies are cars that were built for the strip.
Old 12-11-2008 | 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Yep, but not to Wesman; it's an import and it sucks. And plenty of people shatter the stock 10 bolts on F-bodies at stock power levels too, so I don't know why he always makes it seem like F-bodies are cars that were built for the strip.
Funny you would try and call me out, thats never happened before

Too bad for you that you always lose.

There are plenty of guys running 11's with stock 10 bolts. You talk a lot of **** for not owning an F-body, or any other car actually, the S2000 is your Mom's. You are still in high school, you've never actually worked on a car, and you certainly don't understand how the components of a vehicle function.

It would be best if you just shut up.
Old 12-11-2008 | 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Obviously your Legacy wasn't stock.

Yes, the STi trans is much stronger than the legacy. However, the amount of internal stress on the transmission components and drivetrain components is phenominal when the engine is spinning at 6,000RPM, the wheels are turning at zero, and theres too much available traction to break the tires loose. Something has to equalize that speed difference, and in most cases its the clutch. Do enough of those launches, and your clutch will be toast in no time.

And no STI is going to run low 13's without a 6,000RPM launch. High 13's at best, but from the ones I've seen race, more like 14.0's.
Old 12-11-2008 | 10:27 PM
11 Second Club

they are nice cars but arent as quick as ls1's. the 04-05 have very short gearing which is one reason they feel fast. as far as the low 13's stock, maybe a few but not all.

a turboback and tune really help them.
Old 12-12-2008 | 12:52 AM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
Funny you would try and call me out, thats never happened before

Too bad for you that you always lose.

There are plenty of guys running 11's with stock 10 bolts. You talk a lot of **** for not owning an F-body, or any other car actually, the S2000 is your Mom's. You are still in high school, you've never actually worked on a car, and you certainly don't understand how the components of a vehicle function.

It would be best if you just shut up.
1) I don't know what you mean by "always lose." I was never aware of any contest we were in, and certainly never a time when I could "lose" such contest. You get "called out," as you put it, by many other members here for your blind hatred of anything that has a Japanese carmaker emblem on it. I bet if Honda/Toyota/Nissan started making the EXACT same car as a Corvette tomorrow, you would still find some reason to dog it just because it's Japanese. You're ONEBADASSWS6 all over again
2) There are people running 9s with T5s in Mustangs... doesn't mean that they are strong. People break 10 bolts with stock F-bodies, because they are weak rearends. Sorry if you disagree.
3) I owned the Mustang, and then my mother traded me to use the Mustang for a downpayment. So yes it WAS her car. And now it's mine. I guess you wouldn't take a free car either
4) I don't know where you get that I'm still in high school, or never have worked on a car. I guess you pulled that out of your *** along with most of the other things you say.

It would be best if you just shut up

Last edited by Irunelevens; 12-12-2008 at 12:59 AM.
Old 12-12-2008 | 06:07 AM
9 Second Club

Obviously your Legacy wasn't stock.

Yes, the STi trans is much stronger than the legacy. However, the amount of internal stress on the transmission components and drivetrain components is phenominal when the engine is spinning at 6,000RPM, the wheels are turning at zero, and theres too much available traction to break the tires loose. Something has to equalize that speed difference, and in most cases its the clutch. Do enough of those launches, and your clutch will be toast in no time.

And no STI is going to run low 13's without a 6,000RPM launch. High 13's at best, but from the ones I've seen race, more like 14.0's.
I ran 10.6's on a stock 10 bolt in my SS 1.40 60 foots. Legacy was STOCK as in NOTHING DONE and went a 14.05@97.8mph it made 195WHP on an AWD dynojet. Ready for this? I had a larger intercooler,reflashed the ECU and swapped the up and downpipe while still running the stock catback/turbo and went 12.80@106.8 in my Legacy it made 260 WHP after those mods.
If you dont think stock STI's can run low 13's keep tellin yourself whatever you need to help you sleep at night. Or you could visit any of the Subaru boards and educate yourself a bit. You sound like the same guys that tell me there is no way I am running a stock shortblock in my SS look at my times below I'm really not new at this whole car thing ya know FWIW an STI is not even a drag racing car by design not by a longshot. They are amazing cars when put in their element tho' check out this video below. Granted it's a bumper to bumper built car but still insane.
http://video.kenblockracing.com/flash/player/
Old 12-12-2008 | 06:04 PM
TECH Addict
10 Year Member

Where is the racing in this damn thread????
Old 12-12-2008 | 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
1) I don't know what you mean by "always lose." I was never aware of any contest we were in, and certainly never a time when I could "lose" such contest. You get "called out," as you put it, by many other members here for your blind hatred of anything that has a Japanese carmaker emblem on it. I bet if Honda/Toyota/Nissan started making the EXACT same car as a Corvette tomorrow, you would still find some reason to dog it just because it's Japanese. You're ONEBADASSWS6 all over again
2) There are people running 9s with T5s in Mustangs... doesn't mean that they are strong. People break 10 bolts with stock F-bodies, because they are weak rearends. Sorry if you disagree.
3) I owned the Mustang, and then my mother traded me to use the Mustang for a downpayment. So yes it WAS her car. And now it's mine. I guess you wouldn't take a free car either
4) I don't know where you get that I'm still in high school, or never have worked on a car. I guess you pulled that out of your *** along with most of the other things you say.

It would be best if you just shut up
If you actually understood how a rear differential worked instead of just regurgitating everything you hear, you wouldn't sound so stupid.

The 10 bolt itself is not a weak rearend. In fact, the 8.5" 10 bolt will take just about anything you can throw at it. Unfortunately, F-bodies have the 7.5" version, which is undersized for the torque output and weight of our cars. Its not necessarily a weak design in and of itself, just undersized. Compared to the dinky trans and rear in your S2000, a T5 and 7.5" 10 bolt are monsters.

I don't need to prove that you are young and have no experience, you make it obvious in every post you make. So it would be best if you just shutup.
Old 12-12-2008 | 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you dont think stock STI's can run low 13's keep tellin yourself whatever you need to help you sleep at night. Or you could visit any of the Subaru boards and educate yourself a bit.
You obviously missed the ENTIRE part of my post where I said no STi is going to run low 13's WITHOUT a 6,000RPM launch. If you launch it from 6K, sure it will run low 13's, thats a given.

However, if you launch it like a normal person who just paid $35,000 for the car and doesn't want to destroy it, you aren't going to run low 13's. Meaning something easing off the clutch at 2,500RPM, which will only net you somewhere around a 14.0. That was my point - its capable of low 13's, but at the price of severe wear on the drivetain.
Old 12-12-2008 | 07:34 PM
9 Second Club

You obviously missed the ENTIRE part of my post where I said no STi is going to run low 13's WITHOUT a 6,000RPM launch.
No I did not miss this uneducated portion of your post. It's false . . . . . You wont need a 6K rpm clutch sidestep granted 2,500 wont get the job done but it wont get the job done in any car for that matter. Stock vs stock it's a good run with an F-Body and out on blacktop where there is no glue like at a strip the STI really takes an advantage from a dig.
Old 12-12-2008 | 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

No I did not miss this uneducated portion of your post. It's false . . . . . You wont need a 6K rpm clutch sidestep granted 2,500 wont get the job done but it wont get the job done in any car for that matter. Stock vs stock it's a good run with an F-Body and out on blacktop where there is no glue like at a strip the STI really takes an advantage from a dig.
When I took my car to the track, I launched at 2,200RPM since was on street tires. Net result?? 13.4 @ 106.4. That will NEVER happen in an STI.

It needs that AWD launch to pull low 13's, otherwise its only going to run what its 100-102MPH trap speed indicates - which is around a 14.0.

Not that hard to understand, I don't see what you're argueing about.

I've raced my friends stage 2 STi multiple times...its never even been race, especially on the highway. And no, neither of us were launching. He doesn't feel doing a $1,000 clutch job on a car he just paid $35,000 car, and I don't blame him.