Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

'00 Vette v/s 08 TB SS

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 10:33 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talking

Originally Posted by DVS99TRANS
It was some 45+ year old vette guy with leather jacket on the highway. I guarentee that he under estimated me, but I still beat him by like a foot or two. Like I posted, side by side. I never said that I put 2 or 3 cars on him??? Wouldn't have posted if it didn't happen. Wish I was in my 99, then I would have put bus lengths on him and everyone would believe me then.
Did you use a tape measure ?
Old 12-16-2008, 05:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked over and my window was at his front tire. A couple feet.
Old 12-25-2008, 07:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Not bad, I have yet to run someone with my TBSS, haev not really looked for it though lol. Does not surprise me he beat it though. It could have had 2.73 gears and they are turds. Anyone running a stock Camaro or TA with a A4 and 2.73 rear wanna say they run fast up top too especially from a 70 roll? My 99 C5 with 3.15 gears, the best I ever ran it stock was around a 13.4 in KS at Ark City cannot remember my trap but it was less then 110 and no matter what I could not get better then a 2.0 it seemed. But that was stock. The H/C and Stall fixed those issues =) Anyway, just trying to decide if I want to mod my TBSS like I do with all my cars or just leave this one alone for once. Get anything else lately, I am trying to talk my buddy at work with his lighting to run.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

I was with my buddy in his bolt on a4 2.73 01 C5 and we walked a cam/bolt on tbss, dont know all of its mod's..it was not even close i took a vid on my cell but its sad because it doesnt look like its racing..anyway I dont have anything against a tbss thought about buying one just putting this out there
Old 12-26-2008, 12:18 AM
TECH Veteran

My buddy Rob runs low 11's and hit a 10.99 last I knew with his 2.73 geared TA with a stall, small cam and ported heads. I know they can run setup right and under right conditions. I have owned a few vettes 2 of them where supercharged, and I ran them stock too to run baselines. So I got a pretty good idea how they can run, not to mention alot of the other cars I have worked on in the past like my last Camaro SS with a Maggie. But, by far I am not saying the TBSS is all that, but from what I have seen I see no reason not to believe he beat him. But just like most older Corvette guys I run into locally, they never mash the gas even when they race lol. They always seem to think they have a special limited corvette and they do not want to run it hard in case they want to sell it. Afraid that beast getting out of control from them I guess lol. The rest of us on here that have owned vettes and f bodies are a whole other breed.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:31 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98NATA
I was with my buddy in his bolt on a4 2.73 01 C5 and we walked a cam/bolt on tbss, dont know all of its mod's..it was not even close i took a vid on my cell but its sad because it doesnt look like its racing..anyway I dont have anything against a tbss thought about buying one just putting this out there

how much do you know about the TBSS you raced? many who mod these trucks aren't making the one most important mod they should be... a converter.. they weigh a whopping 1400+lbs more than a vette or Fbody, they need some assistance getting started.. my truck ran 13.0-13.1X before the converter..

it's a no lose for the TBSS driver, lose? "he had no chance" win? "wow, i just got beat by an SUV" for me, i like the questions back in the lane about the truck after beating a C6 with some bolt ons running a 12.6, or the mustang with a bunch of mods in the 12's.. when they see they are lined up to run you they thumb their noses at the truck and then swallow their pride when they are waiting to get their slip in the return lane.......BEHIND ME! lol
Old 12-26-2008, 06:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BadMonkey
My buddy Rob runs low 11's and hit a 10.99 last I knew with his 2.73 geared TA with a stall, small cam and ported heads. I know they can run setup right and under right conditions. I have owned a few vettes 2 of them where supercharged, and I ran them stock too to run baselines. So I got a pretty good idea how they can run, not to mention alot of the other cars I have worked on in the past like my last Camaro SS with a Maggie. But, by far I am not saying the TBSS is all that, but from what I have seen I see no reason not to believe he beat him. But just like most older Corvette guys I run into locally, they never mash the gas even when they race lol. They always seem to think they have a special limited corvette and they do not want to run it hard in case they want to sell it. Afraid that beast getting out of control from them I guess lol. The rest of us on here that have owned vettes and f bodies are a whole other breed.

Hell I never floor my car.........scares me
Old 12-26-2008, 07:06 PM
Teching In

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUP8j...e=channel_page
1:15

this TB is badass
Old 12-27-2008, 09:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 99FRCTorchRed
Hell I never floor my car.........scares me
I had a 3200vig/transgo shiftkit and 3.73's in my 99 h/c C5. I went 3/4 throtle on an on ramp, she downshifted it flashed and I went into a spin only my geometry teacher could have explained. That car damn near killed me twice. I traded it off for a M6, they feel safer to me
Old 12-28-2008, 12:29 AM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

My brother just bought an awd 06 TBSS with cai and a Magnaflow catback. It is sick off of the line, doesn't even bark a tire with the traction controll off. It just lunges with street tires. At highway speeds it pulls hard but I can't see it beating a Vette unless he was not pushing it hard. Mostly because of weight and aerodynamics. The thing is a heavy brick but his makes me want one.
Old 12-28-2008, 03:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry I didnt get all his specs as we drove down the road..he just said cam and we heard it when we were behind him...a role is not a tbss strong spot so it wasnt suprising we beat him and yes i'm sure he had a higher stall tc..judging by the sound when he took off..but from a role thats not usually goiong to help..actually prob hurt him. Anything can be fast so the whole "im an suv" talk has been old for quite some time..trucks can hit 13's stock these days and not be a lightning or srt10. Anyway good kill to the poster.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:04 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98NATA
Sorry I didnt get all his specs as we drove down the road..he just said cam and we heard it when we were behind him a role is not a tbss strong spot so it wasnt suprising we beat him and yes i'm sure he had a higher stall tc..judging by the sound when he took off..but from a role thats not usually goiong to help..actually prob hurt him. Anything can be fast so the whole "im an suv" talk has been old for quite some time..trucks can hit 13's stock these days and not be a lightning or srt10. Anyway good kill to the poster.
you say it happened so only you know the truth, but do you really think the car you were in (with an additional passenger) with the mods you listed "Bolt on A4 2.73 C5" is going to walk a TBSS that by all accounts is running a low-mid 12??? "Walk"??? that's quite a C5 to "WALK" that TBSS with those mods.. "WALK" is 5+ cars..."WALK" is LS1 vs stock Fox Body... oh and btw a roll in a TBSS only helps it as its additional weight is less of a factor and aerodynamics aren't affecting it until it's well past 70+mph... just couldn't resist arguing my point as sometimes i read things on this forum that have me scratching my head and some are "so sure" things are what they are.. Happy New Year lol...
Old 12-30-2008, 04:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Anyone have a stock TBSS in the quad city area? I would love to get this on film...
Old 12-30-2008, 04:35 PM
Teching In

TBSS is sweet, to bad they don't come with the 6sd Auto.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:36 PM
12 Second Club

still not very believable if you ask me.
vette has better power to weight ratio, gearing aside, the vette either has a high end miss, one dead cylinder, or just plain wasn't full throttle.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well it happened, and again wouldn't have posted it if I didn't do it. Pretty sure I know what a race is. Not saying the vette might not have been in prime condition or maybe he had something wrong with it. But I think I know what a stock 2000 vette is capable of ya know. I'm no newbie to any American V8 car. That is why I posted it.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:11 PM
Staging Lane

My first family hauler will be either a TBSS or SRT8 Jeep... unless they break down and put an LS3 in an SUV... gas prices are dropping and revenue is low. More folks are having kids... I wonder how many Hemi Durango's that commercial with the guy telling his kid H-E-M-I sold.lol.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just wish HEMI still had the same mind set it did 30+ years ago, lol. Most people that buy them just say, yeah it has a Hemi, lol Both trucks are bad *** and I do believe the SRT8's are a tad faster from what I have seen but haven't had the luck of running into one yet.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TonyGXP
you say it happened so only you know the truth, but do you really think the car you were in (with an additional passenger) with the mods you listed "Bolt on A4 2.73 C5" is going to walk a TBSS that by all accounts is running a low-mid 12??? "Walk"??? that's quite a C5 to "WALK" that TBSS with those mods.. "WALK" is 5+ cars..."WALK" is LS1 vs stock Fox Body... oh and btw a roll in a TBSS only helps it as its additional weight is less of a factor and aerodynamics aren't affecting it until it's well past 70+mph... just couldn't resist arguing my point as sometimes i read things on this forum that have me scratching my head and some are "so sure" things are what they are.. Happy New Year lol...
Believe me I'm not some unknowing kid that doesn't understand power/weight and aerodynamics also. Hell I work on aircraft for a living, lol, pretty sure both apply to that you know. Believe me, I'm taking a crack at 10's in my 99 in the spring which is possible but am going to need a great run. That is why I posted it. Sorry not trying to sound snobby, stuck up, or start an arguement but that is what everyone else is saying but I know better than that.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Kind of strange you were able to stay with him. I walked a stock TBSS pretty bad in my stock GTO. Well I say he was stock I would sure hope he was the way I walked him.