Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Killed a 03 cobra

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008 | 12:39 PM

I can't believe its 2009 and some of you guys are still bickering about a stock vs stock-ish race between a 2002 Camaro and a 2003 Cobra
Old 12-29-2008 | 12:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
I can't believe its 2009 and some of you guys are still bickering about a stock vs stock-ish race between a 2002 Camaro and a 2003 Cobra

sorry!
What happed with the race? And I got your youtube message, but I dont remember what it was about???
Old 12-29-2008 | 01:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by PNYKLR-TA
Cars in AZ definitely dont run anywhere near 'magazine 1/4 mile times'
Quoted for truth.
Old 12-29-2008 | 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by adanieljohnson1
sorry!
What happed with the race? And I got your youtube message, but I dont remember what it was about???

Badcad was able to make it but my wife took the 300 ou with the girls that night. We will have to reschedule it.

The Youtube message was directed to ZX9 since he had a few smart remarks about me doing my job here.
Old 12-29-2008 | 01:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
Badcad was able to make it but my wife took the 300 ou with the girls that night. We will have to reschedule it.

The Youtube message was directed to ZX9 since he had a few smart remarks about me doing my job here.
Ohhhhh..... lol, I was VERY confused! Just his opinions... Which I do not share....
Old 12-29-2008 | 04:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by navyblueSS
You wish.
would i tell a lie
Old 12-29-2008 | 04:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by lilbuddy1587
No, I don't HONESTLY think a lid only F-body is faster. Especially by 3 bus lengths. Do I think a well driven f-body with a lid or cat back is a decent race for a stock Cobra? Yep, I sure do. Should the Cobra win? It should but that doesn't guarantee anything. Especially on the streets.

My whole argument is based on what I've seen here in AZ. Which is why I'm trying to help the OP out because cars here don't all run what they do back east. Obviously, we're all going to have different opinions based on real world experience. So, take it as you will.
I understand where your coming from. A lot of the cobras i have seen have some pretty bad drivers. I see pullied cobras running in the low 13's high 12's all the time with 450hp.
Old 12-29-2008 | 04:29 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BayAreaSS
I understand where your coming from. A lot of the cobras i have seen have some pretty bad drivers. I see pullied cobras running in the low 13's high 12's all the time with 450hp.
And also boosted cars are affected by heat soak alot worse, IE why boosted cars dont run as fast in the dry hot air in phoenix.

Unless of coars they have the appropriate cooling mods. Even stock intercooled supercharged Cobalt SS's need an extra heat exchanger typically from a cobra to run very high boost to keep the IAT temps from rising exponentially.
Old 12-29-2008 | 04:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ponygt65
I can't believe no one said anything against this post.

So...... .13 gearing difference makes up for the redline AND power curve difference between the two cars?....are you seriously stating that? that cobra shifting at 6k with you at 5800 (assumably, only using those rpms to make point) is the same because he has 3.55s to your 3.42s? UH NO!!>.those gears aren't THAT much different and the trannys are the same.....point being..he DID short shift.

ANd I'm so sick and tired of reading "he's a great driver cause he shifting quick". quick shifts are only half of it........quick shifts 1K rpms short = Quick feet hands, but knows nothing of his own car.

WHo says quick shifts = shifts at optimum shift points? THat is a LAME assumption. I can quick shift at 2500rpms...WTF point does that make?
the cobra redlines at 6500, the ls1 6000. so yes that small difference can be made up in the 500 rpm. point being, he would shift, and i would shift. i like to think i can get a decent mph out of my car. so... yes it does make sense. how would he be short shifting if he shifted before me with his steeper gearing? we started in the same gear. AND I bring up my initial point. If they are sooooo fast, he would have pulled me no matter what then. I'll just see if hes at the next get together and video the damn race.
Old 12-29-2008 | 05:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 7plagues
the cobra redlines at 6500, the ls1 6000. so yes that small difference can be made up in the 500 rpm. point being, he would shift, and i would shift. i like to think i can get a decent mph out of my car. so... yes it does make sense. how would he be short shifting if he shifted before me with his steeper gearing? we started in the same gear. AND I bring up my initial point. If they are sooooo fast, he would have pulled me no matter what then. I'll just see if hes at the next get together and video the damn race.
Oh wow....and now you're saying he shifted before you, yet he wasn't short shifting because .13 gear ratio makes up enough of a difference to dictate him sifting before you eventhough he has a 500rpm higher redline? IE: that .13 is going to make his car get to 6300 rpms, before you get to 5800 and the end result is a loss for him?.

Ok gotcha.
Old 12-29-2008 | 06:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by unit213
Right on the money my friend. I agree 100%.
X2. Nice kill OP!!!
Old 12-29-2008 | 07:04 PM
Launching!

ponygt65,

sorry i got ahead of myself, i shifted before him each time. but it was like i said, very near the same time. use this gearing calculator help aid in any confusion in my language.

http://www.f-body.org/gears/

me 6000rpm reline
1st 50, 2nd 75, 3rd 103

him 6500rpm redline
1st 53, 2nd 79, 3rd 108
...so as you can see a little after i would shift he would....

also you weren't there stop trying to tell me how he was driving his car.
try posting something productive to this forum.
Old 12-29-2008 | 08:46 PM
10 Second Club

Every driver is different. The best stock time by a pro driver in the 04 cobra was a 12.4, the best times by a ls1 fbod was 12.8. so theres a apples to apples comparison showing the cobra has the potential to run faster but will no always be faster due to some drivers suck.
cobras are alot harder to drive than a fbody so i would say most dig races end up bring pretty close on the street like we see in these videos. there is no need for all the useless bickering about which car is better every time a ls1 races a cobra.
Old 12-29-2008 | 11:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1Z28-00
there is no need for all the useless bickering about which car is better every time a ls1 races a cobra.
You're right, but a lot of the bickering stems from light bolt-on LS1s beating stock Cobras when there is generally a 40-60 RWHP difference. More often than not on this site, the LS1 will win a race it "shouldn't".
Old 12-30-2008 | 04:23 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ballhawkdawk
You're right, but a lot of the bickering stems from light bolt-on LS1s beating stock Cobras when there is generally a 40-60 RWHP difference. More often than not on this site, the LS1 will win a race it "shouldn't".
The bickering stems from street races with no vids that shouldn't be wins. We know guys have never posted a BS race on this forum. just commenting on a possible reason thats all.

What would you rather see?

Good kill OP
Yea good kill
^^X2^^
Great kill
Nice kill

Gets a little boring don't it?
Old 12-30-2008 | 04:25 AM
Launching!

I'll go out to the meet next week and see if hes there. Im sure he would be down to run again. And i'll bring a camera. there settled.
Old 12-30-2008 | 06:20 AM
Banned

Cobras are def nice cars but around here at the track which is mostly 1/8 milers most of them dont run to good i guess most ford owners around here just suck at driving . only a few of them even see 7s.I do know one that was running real good but it def had alot of money in it .Ohh and nice kill!
Old 12-30-2008 | 08:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

ls1s beat a lot of cars that they shouldnt.. a lot of the time...

you boys that are in here should know that...

im not saying it happens a lot.. but if he has a really good running car.. and the cobra didnt... that could make all the difference in the world.. plus shifting... whoever spins... its the STREETS!!!!!
Old 12-30-2008 | 10:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 7plagues
ponygt65,

sorry i got ahead of myself, i shifted before him each time. but it was like i said, very near the same time. use this gearing calculator help aid in any confusion in my language.

http://www.f-body.org/gears/

me 6000rpm reline
1st 50, 2nd 75, 3rd 103

him 6500rpm redline
1st 53, 2nd 79, 3rd 108
...so as you can see a little after i would shift he would....

also you weren't there stop trying to tell me how he was driving his car.
try posting something productive to this forum.
now that makes more sense. Sorry man, if things don't add up, I call people on it. I know streets are a different story, but even when it's questionable for the streets, I'll say something. I hate the breeding of ignornance/ill-informed when it comes to performance cars. Leave that to the ricers.

BTW - I consider myself a tad qualified to give my two cents on mustangs, especially the 03/04 cobra's.

Originally Posted by ballhawkdawk
+1

Originally Posted by 2001z
Cobras are def nice cars but around here at the track which is mostly 1/8 milers most of them dont run to good i guess most ford owners around here just suck at driving . only a few of them even see 7s.I do know one that was running real good but it def had alot of money in it .Ohh and nice kill!
I can agree with that...aside from the stangs guys suck at driving.

Originally Posted by lemons12
ls1s beat a lot of cars that they shouldnt.. a lot of the time...

you boys that are in here should know that...

im not saying it happens a lot.. but if he has a really good running car.. and the cobra didnt... that could make all the difference in the world.. plus shifting... whoever spins... its the STREETS!!!!!
I agree with that too......and I'm loving the new sig. Quote.
Old 12-31-2008 | 02:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ponygt65
I agree with that too......and I'm loving the new sig. Quote.
i figured you guys would get a kick out of it.. i did.. lol