Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Ran a cammed C5Z...

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 12:20 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ran a cammed C5Z...

Earlier today I was heading home down I-10 from playing golf when out of nowhere I see a vette coming on very strong. He got in the lane next to me and let me know he wanted to play. As he got beside me I noticed it was a very sweet looking Z06. It was blue with black rims and a chrome lip, looked extremely clean. I downshifted and when he jumped I hit it pulling pretty decent.

He then signaled for me to exit so we could run with some room. As we were going under the overpass and slowed, I asked him what he had. He told me just a cam and bolt ons. I told him my mods and he chuckled and said he bit off more than he could chew, lol. I informed him it was a fresh motor and that I was running low boost (7-9lbs) as I haven't had it on the dyno yet.

We first went from a dig and I spun through second with him at my rear, hit third started pulling but missed 4th We next went from a roll with me in third at almost 3k rpms. He honked it off and immediately he got a jump. As the boost kicked in I pulled even, hit 4th and stated pulling. I shut it down at the end of 4th with a few cars up.

We pulled over and chatted. He had an HPE 612 lift cam and said he made 440rwhp.. I told him I wasn't sure what I was making but most likely around 550rwhp.. I still have my 3.73 gears and it makes 1st-3rd not much fun as it raps out way too fast. He was a real cool cat with a very sweet ride.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Good Kill.

Seems like a pretty masty stang your rockin their. Buddy of mine has a nasty 4v TT GT. But hes going back NA haha.

Can we get a more detailed mod list? Just a lil curious on your setup.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like a good time. Good kill.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:55 AM
On The Tree

Pretty awesome race. Nice kill. I'm jealous of you Texas guys... Weather sucks here in PA during the winter for racing.. rain, snow, too cold to get traction.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:21 AM
On The Tree

good run and kill.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:10 AM
TECH Addict

Nice kill buddy and keep us posted with Dyno numbers

peace
Old 01-08-2009, 01:08 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by w3s1c0a5t
Good Kill.

Seems like a pretty masty stang your rockin their. Buddy of mine has a nasty 4v TT GT. But hes going back NA haha.

Can we get a more detailed mod list? Just a lil curious on your setup.

Going na? I use to run be na with a 200 direct port shot. Na is pretty much a waste of time on the modulars.

Basically I just have a 5.0 stroker(sad really), bullit intake, houston performance heads/cams, aeromotive return style fuel system, and a homemade twin 60mm turbo setup. The car also has full suspension. It should make 650-700rwhp once I crank up the boost.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS2 KLR
Earlier today I was heading home down I-10 from playing golf when out of nowhere I see a vette coming on very strong. He got in the lane next to me and let me know he wanted to play. As he got beside me I noticed it was a very sweet looking Z06. It was blue with black rims and a chrome lip, looked extremely clean. I downshifted and when he jumped I hit it pulling pretty decent.

He then signaled for me to exit so we could run with some room. As we were going under the overpass and slowed, I asked him what he had. He told me just a cam and bolt ons. I told him my mods and he chuckled and said he bit off more than he could chew, lol. I informed him it was a fresh motor and that I was running low boost (7-9lbs) as I haven't had it on the dyno yet.

We first went from a dig and I spun through second with him at my rear, hit third started pulling but missed 4th We next went from a roll with me in third at almost 3k rpms. He honked it off and immediately he got a jump. As the boost kicked in I pulled even, hit 4th and stated pulling. I shut it down at the end of 4th with a few cars up.

We pulled over and chatted. He had an HPE 612 lift cam and said he made 440rwhp.. I told him I wasn't sure what I was making but most likely around 550rwhp.. I still have my 3.73 gears and it makes 1st-3rd not much fun as it raps out way too fast. He was a real cool cat with a very sweet ride.

Nice, where was this at?

Gilbert
Old 01-08-2009, 03:17 PM
On The Tree

Good Kill
Sounds like you have a heck of a car there. I work in LaPorte, if you want to give another C5 a try let me know. I dont mind loosing but I just never seem to run across anyone that wants to run.

LionelC
Old 01-08-2009, 03:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ballhawkdawk
Pretty awesome race. Nice kill. I'm jealous of you Texas guys... Weather sucks here in PA during the winter for racing.. rain, snow, too cold to get traction.
the truth
Old 01-08-2009, 04:01 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TheTugBoat
the truth
another reason i love living in the desert
Old 01-09-2009, 07:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by lionelc-5
Good Kill
Sounds like you have a heck of a car there. I work in LaPorte, if you want to give another C5 a try let me know. I dont mind loosing but I just never seem to run across anyone that wants to run.

LionelC

I'm always down for a friendly race. What kind of mods?
Old 01-12-2009, 01:25 PM
On The Tree

I'm always down for a friendly race. What kind of mods?
Procharger, headers, cam, built A4, and a stall, etc...

I have been driving it now and then trying to put some miles on the new motor and have had a couple oil changes so I think it is time for a good run. It is still stock cubes, I just had to forge it after a spring broke and the valve beat the **** out of the #8 piston.

LionelC
Old 01-13-2009, 07:37 PM
TECH Regular

Sweet setup. I should know tonight or tomorrow about an auto for mine. I think right now you have me outgunned but would still love to race. You just need to promise me a rematch once I get a tune and add some more boost.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=LS2 KLR;10807763] Na is pretty much a waste of time on the modulars.
QUOTE]

Uhmmmm...What? Waste in what sense? Its not as easy as say an ls1 to make power but their VERY capable NA.

His plan is basically a BB 4.6 with 03-04 heads sullivan intake and Some big boy cams. Will lay somewhere over 400 to the wheels. Add in a steep gear and built solid....
Old 01-14-2009, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

Sweet setup. I should know tonight or tomorrow about an auto for mine. I think right now you have me outgunned but would still love to race. You just need to promise me a rematch once I get a tune and add some more boost.

Well I dont know about "out gunned". I have the dredded IRS so traction can be tricky. As for a rematch, anytime. I just want to see what she will do.

LionelC
Old 01-14-2009, 02:08 PM
Staging Lane

Damn I wish lived in Texas you guys have it made! It's snowing here...
Old 01-15-2009, 12:32 AM
Teching In

Yeah not snowing here but about 6 degrees without the windchill. So be thankful for decent weather.