Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

whats the big deal about supras??

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 05:32 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: whats the big deal about supras??

Just to set the record straight...
big single turbo is ALWAYS better than twins on a Poopra
they're RWD...they're heavy enough as it is w/o the AWD
Who's turbo LS1 runs 9s on 8K? Maybe nitrous, but not F/I
By doing basic upgrades (thus the term BPU), will greatly improve performance.

Not a Supra guy, but I try to learn as much about competition as possible. I put them in the same boat as Grand Nationals. 6-cylinder turbo car that can be insanely fast w/ a little effort. It's hard to tell the 10-second ones from the 13-second ones.

The big knock on them is their weight and the fact that they can dyno 800hp and still run consistent high 11s.
Check out www.ls1motorsports.com and look at rob raymers car. This is their kit installed. It runs 9's. It includes upgraded fuel system and dyno tuning. They do raise the price on it from time to time though.
Old 10-06-2003, 05:43 PM
STF Veteran

i would buy a 3000gt before i'd buy a supra. but that's just me. i'm quite happy with my ls1 right now.
Old 10-06-2003, 05:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would buy a 3000gt before i'd buy a supra. but that's just me. i'm quite happy with my ls1 right now.
I was thinkin the same thing. If it was up to performance, I'd rather have a 3000GT. AWD system for the same weight.

Then again, I do think the Supra is a lot "nicer"... it looks beautiful, and the interior is pretty damn sharp, if you've ever seen it.
Old 10-06-2003, 05:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

big single turbo is ALWAYS better than twins on a Poopra
Not always. Bigger turbo usually means more lag. I've seen Supras with twin setups pushing out over 1000 rwhp.

they're RWD...they're heavy enough as it is w/o the AWD
True, the biggest drawback of the Supra's performance is their weight.

Who's turbo LS1 runs 9s on 8K? Maybe nitrous, but not F/I
Where have you been? I've seen quite a few videos of FI LS1s running in the 9s. I even have one on my computer.
Old 10-06-2003, 05:53 PM
Staging Lane

i have raced a fairly stock twin turbo supra when i was stock, and it was the most even race i have ever had, neither one of us pulled on each other. And yeah supras are dyno queens, and they loose so much time on the track because of thier 60' times. But try racing a supra on the interstate... different story completely
Old 10-06-2003, 09:38 PM
I ruin the end of films...

Where have you been? I've seen quite a few videos of FI LS1s running in the 9s. I even have one on my computer.
For $8K though? I know Rob has run a high 9 w/ his single turbo, LPE ran like a 8.8 or something w/ their TT Vette(or was it a Camaro?) and there's been a handful of blower cars run 9s.
Old 10-06-2003, 10:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

For $8K though?
Gimme a stock LS1 and 8k left over, and I personally guarantee I could do it.
Old 10-06-2003, 11:01 PM
Launching!

The LPE TT Vette was bought and then another 50k was spent on it. The transmission in the 8.9 sec TT Vette is only good for about 3 runs and then you have to rebuild it. I love the LPE TT Vettes but with all that said and like mentioned before the Supra won the street car shootout running 8.36 at 166.7xmph on BFG Drag Radials.

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/bfgap...s/2003Nopi.jsp
Old 10-06-2003, 11:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i think saying the FI guys ran 9s with 8k is a joke and a slap to the face.

12k is a realistic price for the bunch that is in the 10s. many will tell u above that.

now with NITROUS, well yeah 9s are definetly gettable..

reliable? street? no. so basically 8k and 9s should not be mentioned in the same breath.

robs kit is a "tuner kit" that means no tuning fuel ect ect.

i'm sure wonder-tuners can do it with their home built kits but that's not reality.

also..whoever said vr-4..they are cheaper (the first gens) but they are SERIOUSLY not a drag platform..and unreliable. there's no vr4s in the 8s at all for a reason.

that and weighing near 4000pounds is never cool either. They actually were more expensive than the supras weren't they?

they do look good though, and even though it's inferior i would also take a vr-4. lol

yeah a big single creates more lag..but why do the mustanf 10.5 tire use thumper turbos to get in the 7s? single turbos is less weight and less hassle.

just wait until the LS1 gets warmed up in the fi world..THEN we'll beat the supras at their own game.

even though CI + nitrous already does the job, but there's something abotu constant 800 RWTQ that u can drive to church with.

Old 10-06-2003, 11:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

hmm i would rather take the supra over the vr4. i can get more power out of it, larger aftermarket, and three, the chassis being awd on the vr4- cant stand up to as much power as the supra. but i would take a first gen talon or ecplipse. awd turbo car. but why buy **** when i can buy an F-body or Vette
Old 10-06-2003, 11:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

just wait until the LS1 gets warmed up in the fi world..THEN we'll beat the supras at their own game.
Hell yeah, give the LS1 like 2 more years and it will be well into 7s... the motor is so new, and so many import kids talk about how there aren't many fast fast ones yet. i can't wait to see hwo it turns out. the LS1 really is an awesome motor
Old 10-06-2003, 11:23 PM
STF Veteran

i'd take the vr-4 over the supra simply cause i spend 99.9% of my time on the street, and i think i could have more fun with a 400rwhp vr-4 than a 600rwhp supra.

but again, that's just me.

it actually took my by suprise (no blasphemy intended here, i swear) how much the profile of my TA resembles the profile of the VR-4. very similar general shape.
Old 10-06-2003, 11:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

nuthin like the ls1 platform! RIP f-bods, for someday you might be resurrected!!
Old 10-07-2003, 06:25 AM
FormerVendor

Price list to run 10's naturally aspirated with N20 on an everyday driving reliable car:

FLP LT headers w/ ORP: $1200
Cutout: $40
Heads and Cam(including new bolts and gaskets): $2200
4400 Stall: $1000
Deep trans pan: $165
Forged pistons: $1000
Nitrous 100hp dry shot: $500
LS1 edit: $550
LS6 injectors: $200
LS6 intake manifold: $350
Drag radials: $280
SFC's: $100
driveshaft loop: $100
Rollbar: $300
Remove Cats, ported TB, EGR, air pump, FRA, coolant bypass: free

Grand total of: $7985

I have less than this, and I can run 10's on the bottle.

12K for 10's, and you are doing something wrong. 10's can be had with a little under 7K Excal.
Old 10-07-2003, 06:39 AM
FormerVendor

Here is my price list:

Lid: $100
80 mm TB: $400
MAC mid length headers w/ORP: $600
Cutout: $40
Flowmaster catback: $300
H+C pakage: $2200
3500 stall: $400
Built tranny: $1600
NOS kit: $500
LS1 edit: $550
Drag radials: $280
some free mods

total of: $6970

Som items of mine were not included in this list, but are not neccesary to hit the 10's. IT DOES NOT TAKE $12,000.
Old 10-07-2003, 06:42 AM
I ruin the end of films...

Grand total of: $7985

I have less than this, and I can run 10's on the bottle.

12K for 10's, and you are doing something wrong. 10's can be had with a little under 7K Excal.
With nitrous it's easy. Nitrous has always been the most cost-effective way to go fast and always will be. I've got a couple friends w/ a little less than that in the 10s. However, with a turbo or supercharger, NEVER. When the kits run $5000-$6000 to begin with, that only leaves $3K tops for a stall, headers, tires, tuning, intake/throttle body, suspension, yadda yadda yadda. I like to go as fast as possible for as cheap as possible, just like everyone else, but it just ain't happening.

and I doubt Rob's car had a stock LS1 in it when he ran his 9.xx
Old 10-07-2003, 06:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

i think robs car did not have the stock ls1. i think he had a built 346. check this out. it was posted on here but it is for the people who hve missed it. . . . . . it came from ls1motorsports

http://www.ls1motorsports.com/Project-Camaro.asp

Old 10-09-2003, 01:42 AM
Ian
Launching!

you can spray a stock twin turbo Supra into the 10's with the same amount of money, or less, as well.
Old 10-10-2003, 04:49 PM
On The Tree

Most Supras are not drag racing cars. Notice I said "most". Very rarely will you hear one of their owners say "I'll run you from a dig." They love to roll race. There is a 900 RWHP here in Columubus. You don't want to run him on the highway. Any knowledgable Supra owner will tell you that you can make quite a bit of power on the stock twins, but the big horsepower is in the single turbo conversion, which is pricey.

One more thing, they are pretty uncommon. And you can't tell the 300 HP ones from the 800 HP ones. Until you hear something that sounds like a jet engine and you are looking at his tail lights. Just because you beat a turbo Supra doesn't mean they are all slow. You just haven't seen a really fast one yet...
Old 10-10-2003, 06:01 PM
Staging Lane

there is no myth of speed behind a real tuned supra. I had one converted to single turbo and the problem with them is one thing like any fast car modified, traction. I had NO traction off the line and would get hurt off the line by quite a few, but once I was up to speed I'd pass you like you were standing still. Some people have the n/a's and think they are badass with their whopping 240 horses and get spanked all the time. They are still going for upwards of 30K even 94's which I had. If I had a choice it would be to get into another supra, even though they are dyno queens after 80MPh take a hike!! When I lived in Springfield I had the fastest ride around beside a guy named Jack Cotton from Agawam who specializes in grand nationals, he spanked me every chance he got but he is a veteran tuner for grand nationals. Only one time did I come close but my fpk let go and spit gas all over the place ( I know, ricer excuse, but true) but he does 9's street legal. It cost me 3K to get 630 horses out of her and it's hard to do that with a camaro let me tell you. The ones I would be scared of are the ones that look stock, not the riced out **** that you see now, ****, I would have hung myself if My car looked like riced ****.

Quick Reply: whats the big deal about supras??