Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

First worthy kill

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 12:30 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Default First worthy kill

I ahem..had a dream where I raced a 06-07 GT with a 100 shot, K&N filter only, cut off mufflers (cats only). No other mods that I know of...

So we were off in Mexico on a dead end 4 lane road with plenty of street lights.

Run 1: above mentioned GT v. 92 LT1 swap camaro belonging to a friend (330rwhp, ~3200lbs, t56 4.10 gears, street tires), race is dead even to the point no one wants to call it

Run 2: my car v. GT
Friend flags us and I spin bad through first gear (which usually never happens for my car...cold air and sandy road would be my guess), keeping door to door while doing so, hit 2nd and see crap appearing in the road...turns out some pissed off locals were throwing large (2-3") sticks into the road!

Run 3: my car v. GT different spot in Mexico
Line up and GT honks 3 times to start. I spin again but try to feather it and come out sooner instead of spinning entirely through 1st. I look back at the 2-3 shift (1/8th mile almost exactly) and mustang is around 4 cars back, my car finds the rev limiter during this and refuses to get off until I lift quickly then hammer it again. Car upshifts and I get back in it until the estimated 1/4 where I am still ahead by 3.

Needless to say I was stoked, I had been dreading this race for over a week and didn't want to back down. Sad thing is he did want to run for money but we were in a hurry so we never negotiated an amount. I was willing to put up the $40 I had on me before I watched the race with the 92...I would have gone more after seeing that race.

I am seriously confused though because I know this should not have happened at all unless my car is just running a whole lot stronger in the cool weather or might not even have his **** hooked up right.

I know he has only had it on for 2 weeks and has no tune for it or anything, no bottle warmer, no purge kit, just a basic kit he bought used for $100. He swears up and down the car is a lot faster now though so I dunno. Seemed like a nice guy though.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have had to stop and kick someone's *** for throwing **** in the road like that. Whether they like you racing or not, there is no call for that someones car could have been really messed up. On another note, there must be something wrong with that mustang, They are mid 13s stock, a 100 shot would easily be 12s. Good kill either way.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:00 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Swift_01_z-28
On another note, there must be something wrong with that mustang, They are mid 13s stock, a 100 shot would easily be 12s. Good kill either way.
I agree, I was disappointed. I thought it would be a good race. As soon as my car didn't stop spinning after the tires rolled over like 2-3 times like normal I was thinking "son of a bitch, I just fucked this one up" look over and he's still there and slowly fading back.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:30 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

driver mod I guess. Does your car make 325 with the cam?? I would think that cam, with the FAST, would pull pretty nice. Good kill. Nice to see someone post a bench racing thread, and actually follow through.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:53 AM
11 Second Club

dyno numbers are with the cam...but clearly something was up, it was a dyno day so i dunno what, i'm on a mail order tune that is clearly very rich, i hope to get that all situated pretty soon (if i can get a damn job finally) EDIT: dyno was open cutouts, track times are through 2.25" full exhaust, car literally stinks of fuel when the cutouts are open and MPG seems to drop considerably so maybe the open cutouts hurt my dyno numbers too?

bolting on the fast 90/90 made it feel like a whole different car...and I would bet that is partially to it leaning me out some, but above 4k rpm its night and day difference even though i could feel a difference everywhere over 3k especially with throttle response

track runs were clean though, just over 2400da IIRC...tonight my car had 7-8 gallons less fuel and a better air filter (3.5 outlet directly onto the maf instead of crappy 2.5" outlet stuffed inside a 3" extension mounted onto the maf) so i can't really say much about them but they lead me to believe the car still has a good chunk of power hiding somewhere

Last edited by thunderstruck507; 03-30-2009 at 01:59 AM.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey thunderstruck, what's up with the 99 heads thing? The 98-00 had 853 heads and the 01-02 had 241s, so I'm confused.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:11 AM
11 Second Club

miscommunication led me to believe my 98 heads were warped, I bought a set of 99 heads for $75 plus shipping, found out my heads were fine but used the 99 anyway because the coils I had were centerbolt instead of perimeter bolt anyway

i just listed that so people who look at my pics don't think i'm a retard who has a 99+ ls1 and doesn't even know it, but it seems to be causing more confusion than leaving it out lol
Old 03-30-2009, 02:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well there is no way to tell the difference just by looking at a 98 and a 99 ls1. It's cool though, I get it now and i'm not confused anymore lol. BTW, you need to get that thing to a pro tuner, I would think your whp numbers would be a good bit higher, even before the FAST.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:24 AM
11 Second Club

97-98 had heads with perimeter bolt valve covers with individually mounted coils
99+ had heads with center bolt valve covers with bracket mounted coils

and I agree on the tuner...if all goes well the car will soon be taken to someone in OKC or the Dallas area for a street/dyno tune, or at least sent back for a free retune if I get someone to scan my a/f and log the car in hptuners
Old 03-30-2009, 02:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=thunderstruck507;11337319]97-98 had heads with perimeter bolt valve covers with individually mounted coils
99+ had heads with center bolt valve covers with bracket mounted coils

I learn something new everyday lol.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:33 AM
Banned

Damn those jealous mexicans always throwing **** in the road...If it was cold out, and he didnt have a heater he was probably only getting 60hp out of his kit.

Last edited by 99_Z28; 03-30-2009 at 06:41 AM.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Swift_01_z-28
Hey thunderstruck, what's up with the 99 heads thing? The 98-00 had 853 heads and the 01-02 had 241s, so I'm confused.
The 98-99's had the 806's

99-00's were 853's
Old 03-30-2009, 10:34 AM

Good kill! I don't think there's too much to question here. Figure the stang probably makes 275 rwhp with the very minor mods. If the kit is rated at 100 flywheel, then it would probably be good for 75rwhp. If his pressure was not optimal then he may only gain 50-60 at the wheels. That'd put him at 325-335 rwhp. Figure you gained a bit with the intake giving you a solid amount more than last time you dynoed and it. All that together with the fact that he just got the car and it makes sense.

I bet if he spent a little bit bringing the N2O kit up to snuff and practices driving a bit then it'll be a whole different race next time
Old 03-30-2009, 11:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Nice kill Thunder.

I didn't realize he only had the car for two weeks...I must have over looked that part. Had I recalled that, I probably would ahve put you in the winner circle. Also, I didn't realize when you said no tune, you meant NO TUNE at all....for some reason I thought you meant no nitrous tune, btu had an N/A tune.

The guy's a moron from what you post.....stock tune, 100shot, cut piping?.....UH DUH!!. Tell him to get his head out of his *** and set up his car RIGHT, unless he wants a new frigging motor/car.

Dumbass.

Nice kill man!!!
Old 03-30-2009, 12:26 PM
11 Second Club

haha thanks guys

I meant he had the nitrous kit for 2 weeks. He has had the car since late last year. He says he can drive, my friend says he can't...I was too worried about spinning through first to listen, after that he was too far back for me to hear well...I thought something happened and he let out at first.

We asked why he did nitrous before boltons or a tune and he said it was just because the kit was so cheap.

Pretty sure he went down and put some 104 octane in the tank, my friend said he likes to do that before he races. haha
Old 03-30-2009, 01:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
haha thanks guys

I meant he had the nitrous kit for 2 weeks. He has had the car since late last year. He says he can drive, my friend says he can't...I was too worried about spinning through first to listen, after that he was too far back for me to hear well...I thought something happened and he let out at first.

We asked why he did nitrous before boltons or a tune and he said it was just because the kit was so cheap.

Pretty sure he went down and put some 104 octane in the tank, my friend said he likes to do that before he races. haha
Tell him real stang guys, say he's a freaking MORON and needs to do some real research before he runs his mouth off.

He's the type that gives other stang guys a bad rep.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:08 PM
11 Second Club

didn't help he showed up with a passenger...guy prolly weighed close to or over 200lbs

he seemed like a nice enough guy now, last race he had he sprayed on someone when he said he wouldn't, they complained so he spouted off if they were poor they would have nitrous too...he promptly got his *** kicked

he never ran his mouth to me, just other people have been trying to get us set up for a run but we never found a good time, I don't know if he even knew what I was running, he didn't ask to pop hoods and I didn't say **** other than it was my car
Old 03-30-2009, 03:38 PM
12 Second Club

didn't help he showed up with a passenger...guy prolly weighed close to or over 200lbs
ohh wow what a dumbass. . . it was probably to help him with traction

he seemed like a nice enough guy now, last race he had he sprayed on someone when he said he wouldn't, they complained so he spouted off if they were poor they would have nitrous too...he promptly got his *** kicked
like literally got his *** kicked? haha thats great! people learn pretty quick once they get a black eye and a fat lip.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:15 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by PNYKLR-TA

like literally got his *** kicked? haha thats great! people learn pretty quick once they get a black eye and a fat lip.
correct, northwest arkansas is kinda different...lot more like a northern city than southern, he ventured over in OK and from the sound of it learned that good ole boys don't take too kindly to some kid in a new car telling them how poor they are based solely on the fact they don't run nitrous on their cars

but I wasn't there so that's just how the story goes
Old 03-30-2009, 04:17 PM
12 Second Club

correct, northwest arkansas is kinda different...lot more like a northern city than southern, he ventured over in OK and from the sound of it learned that good ole boys don't take too kindly to some kid in a new car telling them how poor they are based solely on the fact they don't run nitrous on their cars

but I wasn't there so that's just how the story goes
haha thats great. too bad they couldnt have gotten that on video.