Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

383 LT1 Formula vs. LS2 GTO

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 02:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Default 383 LT1 Formula vs. LS2 GTO

My car is currently out of commission for a tranny swap at the moment so I took my dad's GTO out tonight for some crusing. My buddy has a '94 Formula with a 383 Stroker, LE1 heads, 224/230 cam, full boltons and 6-speed w/ 4.10's. My dad's Goat is a bone stock '06 with an automatic and stock tune that is absolutely killing the thing. Anyhow we did about 3 runs ranging from 30-50mph and ran them to 120ish. He only had me by 3-4 cars everytime and I was keeping the car in drive so he was immediately jumping me hard on the start. On the high top end (100+) he wouldn't pull anymore at all, I think if we really streched things out I would have creeped up on him pretty hard. Anyhow it wasn't a win but I still had fun and was pretty shocked how close I was to a car that has so much work done. Granted the setup isn't exactly optimal (trapped 114mph which is what a cam-only LT1 can do) but the GTO has garbage torque management and all that great stuff really killing it. I'm very excited to get my car back on the road and race my buddy because my car completely owns the GTO and he thinks he will beat me. Just proves that its all in the setup, he will be suprised when my stock bottom end LT1 really gives it to his 383. Not an exciting story or anything I was just a very suprised of the outcome and nothing like a friendly matchup here or there. I own an LTx car (poor college student give me a break lol) but my parents both own LSx vehicles and they are just SOB's in stock trim, gotta love them!
Old 05-10-2009, 03:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthFormula
My car is currently out of commission for a tranny swap at the moment so I took my dad's GTO out tonight for some crusing. My buddy has a '94 Formula with a 383 Stroker, LE1 heads, 224/230 cam, full boltons and 6-speed w/ 4.10's. My dad's Goat is a bone stock '06 with an automatic and stock tune that is absolutely killing the thing. Anyhow we did about 3 runs ranging from 30-50mph and ran them to 120ish. He only had me by 3-4 cars everytime and I was keeping the car in drive so he was immediately jumping me hard on the start. On the high top end (100+) he wouldn't pull anymore at all, I think if we really streched things out I would have creeped up on him pretty hard. Anyhow it wasn't a win but I still had fun and was pretty shocked how close I was to a car that has so much work done. Granted the setup isn't exactly optimal (trapped 114mph which is what a cam-only LT1 can do) but the GTO has garbage torque management and all that great stuff really killing it. I'm very excited to get my car back on the road and race my buddy because my car completely owns the GTO and he thinks he will beat me. Just proves that its all in the setup, he will be suprised when my stock bottom end LT1 really gives it to his 383. Not an exciting story or anything I was just a very suprised of the outcome and nothing like a friendly matchup here or there. I own an LTx car (poor college student give me a break lol) but my parents both own LSx vehicles and they are just SOB's in stock trim, gotta love them!

If his is a 6 speed and he cant drive there is a reason .
Old 05-10-2009, 09:16 AM

Good races! Nothing better than a friendly race without someone getting butthurt. Those 383 LT1's can be extremely strong runner, but it definitely takes the right combo and a good driver. Let us know how it goes once the new combo is done
Old 05-10-2009, 12:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by BADMOON
If his is a 6 speed and he cant drive there is a reason .
He can drive as good as anybody else, I've been in his car several times. I think he has some things with the car poorly matched or else something just isn't quite right, keep in mind I think he kind of half asses things. I put a solid bus length and a half on him with my car about 6 months ago when I had a Yank SS3600 and worn tranny. He was untuned so I don't even count that race but his traps are quite low for the setup.

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Good races! Nothing better than a friendly race without someone getting butthurt. Those 383 LT1's can be extremely strong runner, but it definitely takes the right combo and a good driver. Let us know how it goes once the new combo is done
Yeah if you build them right they will really move out. I really can't wait till I can eventually stroke this thing out and put better heads/cam on it. Anyways will do, I should have the car out in the next week or so.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

I hate seeing people spend alot of money on an engine build and it turns out to be a turd because they have no idea what parts should go with what parts. Retards...
Old 05-10-2009, 01:09 PM
12 Second Club

114 does seem kinda low for a LE1 cammed car. . . something isnt right with that car. . .

Quick Reply: 383 LT1 Formula vs. LS2 GTO