Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Who said an 02 H/C fbody could beat an 02-04 Z06?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 10:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the new Porsche 911 does have 450 HP. It's something like the XD50 or something performance package. I checked it out as well.
Old 11-05-2003, 12:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=
MillaTK, the 911 turbo link you posted was like the Z28 version of the Camaro. Heres the SS version of the Porsche that you could get from the Porsche Dealership :

http://www.supercars.net/cars/2002@$Porsche@$911%20Turbo%20X50g.html

If I find the an official porsche website ill post the link. Im sure its out there though.[/QUOTE]

Ok. I didnt know that package existed for the car. Thats pretty cool, though I would still rather the GT2. You learn something new everyday...
Old 11-05-2003, 12:02 AM
TECH Junkie

hmm, I messed that quote thing up, gotta work on that
Old 11-05-2003, 01:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MillaTK
hmm, I messed that quote thing up, gotta work on that
Um, guys, about the porsches... you don't really think 450/456hp is the max for those cars and they really have "maxed out" engines, do you?

...if you do, check out something like Sportec SP700
Old 11-05-2003, 08:56 AM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2002_TAWS6
So I take it even after $6000 in those mods a stock 02 Z06 will still beat me from a roll?

If thats true it would truely suck since at some point of time i'd be 60rwhp OVER his rwhp. Weight cant really be the big factor here as 60rwhp over (even if that occasion would only be at an instant) should still make the f-body run quicker? Maybe its the gears? Maybe its the aerodynamics?

Whats wrong here cant seem to understand. At first I thought I had more hope from a roll as putting the power to the ground would be easier for me then doing that from the start??

MillaTK, the 911 turbo link you posted was like the Z28 version of the Camaro. Heres the SS version of the Porsche that you could get from the Porsche Dealership :

http://www.supercars.net/cars/2002@$Porsche@$911%20Turbo%20X50g.html

If I find the an official porsche website ill post the link. Im sure its out there though.
The Z has a weight,gearing and aero advantage over a F-body.The additional 60rwhp quickly gets offset by a car that is 300-400 lighter,geared like a stock f-body with a 3.90 and much more aerodynamic.You could always put a bottle on it.
Old 11-05-2003, 11:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

To clear up the confusion about the Porsche... 01-03 Turbo has 415 hp, but there is an engine upgrade package for the turbo called X50. With this package, the Turbo is given the GT2 engine and produces 450 hp. It is basically the same as having an all wheel drive GT2. Regardless, with your setup, from a roll I don't think you should have much trouble beating a Z06, but from a roll with a Turbo or GT2 - WATCH OUT. A buddy of mine has a GT2 and that sucker hauls major *** on the highway.
Old 11-05-2003, 12:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SSMOKE-U
To clear up the confusion about the Porsche... 01-03 Turbo has 415 hp, but there is an engine upgrade package for the turbo called X50. With this package, the Turbo is given the GT2 engine and produces 450 hp. It is basically the same as having an all wheel drive GT2. Regardless, with your setup, from a roll I don't think you should have much trouble beating a Z06, but from a roll with a Turbo or GT2 - WATCH OUT. A buddy of mine has a GT2 and that sucker hauls major *** on the highway.
My wife LOVES that car, GT2, and she printed me out basically a brochure with the specs and some info on the engine. Talk about some serious engineering. All the bells and whistles in one package, a truly refined car. And with variable valve timing the power band is BROAD!!

If I could afford it I'd buy her the car, I'd take a Z06 though
Old 11-05-2003, 12:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by sscam68
My wife LOVES that car, GT2, and she printed me out basically a brochure with the specs and some info on the engine. Talk about some serious engineering. All the bells and whistles in one package, a truly refined car. And with variable valve timing the power band is BROAD!!

If I could afford it I'd buy her the car, I'd take a Z06 though
Come on now, you cant afford the GT2? Dude, it only costs around $180,000. All you have to do is sell your house.
Old 11-05-2003, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone see the video of a stock(tiptronic) porshe gt2, walk a modded viper? O think there where going atleast 160+. They should have it on the supraforums somewhere.
Old 11-05-2003, 02:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ALERT! ALERT! ALERT! - !!! GT2 is not offered in Tiptronic !!! !!! GT2 is not offered in Tiptronic !!! !!! GT2 is not offered in Tiptronic !!!
Old 11-05-2003, 02:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There is a pic on here of my SS and my buddy's GT2 at one of our car meets. It is the 8th picture up from the bottom. http://www.milla-racing.com/oct19.html
Old 11-05-2003, 03:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MillaTK
Come on now, you cant afford the GT2? Dude, it only costs around $180,000. All you have to do is sell your house.

no ****!

I told my wife that.

"I'd rather spend $180k on a house with a 3 car garage, RV parking on the side and a small workshop!" She agreed,
We're both engineers so you can imagine the income is pretty good but still not even close to being able to afford that. Amazing piece of machinery though!

Now if I can just convince here to buy a lightning (she loves trucks)
Old 11-05-2003, 03:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Yeah, the tiptronic is only offered in the turbo, not the GT2. I just checked out the porsche web-site, and they rate the brand new GT2 as having 477HP and 472lb-ft of torque! Thats pretty sick for a 3100 lb car, though it can be beat, especially from a dig.
Old 11-06-2003, 04:03 AM
TECH Resident

Alright, for all of you bench racin' talkin' out of your *** *******....

I have and drive a ZO6. I have raced a 405rwhp WS6 quite a few times. He posts on this site. From a 60mph......it is pretty damn even. From 60-150 I would say that I had 1/32 of a car on him . We never did go from a dead dig but I would have liked to. I did race him from a 40mph second gear punch and pulled him with an extra person in his car. His buddy has a 420rwhp H/C vette coupe. We were close for awhile but his horsepower definitely showed up on the top end.....him pulling by a little over a car from 60-140 and pulling away up top. That car was definitely faster than mine. The WS6.........it is prettty even. As much as I hate to say it, but the ZO6 is the real deal. I would almost call it an over achiever. My car dynoed 350/348. My best run so far has been 12.3@116 in far less than perfect conditions. J-rod's best run with a zip tie mod and slicks has been 11.56!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He did run an 11.9xx in his car absolutely showroom stock. He does dump the clutch at the rev limiter and powershifts.

As far as the Porsche goes......911TT.....415hp AWD...X50 option.....456hp
Basically, the 911TT is a fairly refined vehicle with AWD, traction control, stability control, tiptronic option. One magazine called it "The perfection of an imperfect design." Well the real enthusiasts didn't like the "perfection" part......they wanted a ******' Porsche.....hence the GT2. The GT2 is directed at the hardcore Porsche enthusiast(that has an assload of money) that does not want all the gizmos to keep him in line.....only driver input. A quote.............

<Beyond that, there's this bigger issue of character. Although the latest 911 Turbo is arguably the most awe-inspiring combination of speed, sophistication, and sure-footed composure to come down the pike, an almost foolproof supercar, it's drawn flak from Porsche purists for the very traits that distinguish it. Its stunning performance is seen as perhaps a tad too cerebral. Even members of C/D's own test corps cited a shortage of passion, complaining that "the Germans have taken the fun out" and calling the 911 Turbo "an appliance for speed."

It seems the Porsche brass in Stuttgart were listening. In fact, the company seems to have anticipated such criticism, because the 911 GT2 was already gestating before the latest 911 Turbo was launched. And it rolls onto the stage as the Turbo's primal sibling, without all those techie contrivances that perform the work that once was left to the driver. There's no all-wheel drive. No disappearing rear wing. No Porsche electronic stability-control system (PSM) to intervene on behalf of the driver who's run himself out of talent. Along with the GT2's insistent "Let's go, let's go, let's go," there's an implicit disclaimer line, a serious-drivers-only message that's saying something like, "Look, schmuck, I'm not your mom. You're on your own here." >

Last edited by FLYNLO; 11-06-2003 at 07:46 PM.
Old 11-06-2003, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

FLYNLO thanks for the response.

Would you know J-rods trap speed on the 11.5 run? I'd take it with nittos the fastest you could run (no powershifting) would be 11.8-11.9s?

With ET streets, power shifting and lauching at rev limiter (dumping the clutch) any f-body with a H/C and a good rear would be able to get those numbers too (correct me if im wrong).

To get more like an apple to apple comparision I just want to know how the 02-04 Z06s run in th 1/4 mile with JUST nittos no powershifing or power launching (if thats what you call the rev limit and dump the clutch launch).

Then I want to know the same thing but for a H/C car No power launching and no powershifting here too.

If my heads and cam setup would push 420-430 rwhp and I have a WS6 I take it my would be able to beat your Z06? I am not trying to bash your car here or anything so dont take it personally. You have an awesome supercar I just want to make sure if I spend all that one I know what to expect.

Damn Zo6s
Old 11-07-2003, 01:36 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2002_TAWS6
FLYNLO thanks for the response.

Would you know J-rods trap speed on the 11.5 run? I'd take it with nittos the fastest you could run (no powershifting) would be 11.8-11.9s?

With ET streets, power shifting and lauching at rev limiter (dumping the clutch) any f-body with a H/C and a good rear would be able to get those numbers too (correct me if im wrong).

To get more like an apple to apple comparision I just want to know how the 02-04 Z06s run in th 1/4 mile with JUST nittos no powershifing or power launching (if thats what you call the rev limit and dump the clutch launch).

Then I want to know the same thing but for a H/C car No power launching and no powershifting here too.

If my heads and cam setup would push 420-430 rwhp and I have a WS6 I take it my would be able to beat your Z06? I am not trying to bash your car here or anything so dont take it personally. You have an awesome supercar I just want to make sure if I spend all that one I know what to expect.

Damn Zo6s
No offense taken. If you are really that worried about beating a ZO6, the H/C route would do it but it may be close enough to make you nervous. With that said, I would substitute gears for the heads and probably save a little cash and you would at least be even with the H/C set up and possibly faster. Now if you went H/C and gears, watch out.

It would be hard for me to assume times of my car with certain tires. But if I had to and with a little practice, I think I could get to 12 flat with DRs.....again pure ricer speculation.

I think J-rod trapped in the 117-118mph range on that run but I am not sure. It sounds like you want your car to remain relatively streetable and not beat the heck out of it, which is fine. Just remember that the guy next to you may not have the same philosophy. A H/C f-body can be pretty damn fast with the right set up in the hands of a good driver.....spank a ZO6 silly....but that would be assuming a dedicated drag car.
Old 11-07-2003, 10:49 AM
STF veteran / 10 second club

FLYNLO ... is your Z06 stock? There is no reason a 405rwhp WS6 should get pulled by a Z06. H/C fbod should edge out a stock Z06 ... unless the driver blows.
(BTW, that says alot for a Z06 that it takes heads/cam/bolt-ons for an F-bod to beat a stock one)

As FLYNLO said ... add gears to that combo (and maybe some nitrous hehe) and buhbye Z.

Last edited by xphantomws6x; 11-07-2003 at 10:54 AM.
Old 11-07-2003, 02:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by xphantomws6x
FLYNLO ... is your Z06 stock? There is no reason a 405rwhp WS6 should get pulled by a Z06. H/C fbod should edge out a stock Z06 ... unless the driver blows.
(BTW, that says alot for a Z06 that it takes heads/cam/bolt-ons for an F-bod to beat a stock one)

As FLYNLO said ... add gears to that combo (and maybe some nitrous hehe) and buhbye Z.
Yes it is still stock. And the 405rwhp WS6 and I are pretty much dead even......why???

Weight and gearing are probably the best answer. And I think I would have the edge from a dig although we never went from there so that may not be fair to assume.
Old 11-07-2003, 05:47 PM
On The Tree

Taw
Have you ever checked to see if your block was a Ls6..? To easy check the dealer told me yu just have to look at the 8 digit and if its a s its a ls6 if its a G its a ls1. Only 25% of 02 Camaro or Transam ad that block that is offered in the Z06.. late
Old 11-07-2003, 06:31 PM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Flynlow ... I would definately assume that the Z would have the advantage from the stop, which is why I cannot figure out why you 2 would run dead even from a roll, which I would think would be the WS6's strong point.
Z06's launch hard, and all the ones I have raced have beat me out of the hole, but I have managed to make up some ground/edge out in the end. The ones I have raced from a highway roll it seems I have the advantage.
Maybe you're just a much better driver then the guys I have raced ??