Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Who said an 02 H/C fbody could beat an 02-04 Z06?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2003, 12:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xphantomws6x
Flynlow ... I would definately assume that the Z would have the advantage from the stop, which is why I cannot figure out why you 2 would run dead even from a roll, which I would think would be the WS6's strong point.
Z06's launch hard, and all the ones I have raced have beat me out of the hole, but I have managed to make up some ground/edge out in the end. The ones I have raced from a highway roll it seems I have the advantage.
Maybe you're just a much better driver then the guys I have raced ??
3rd gear is still an advantage on the M12. Other than that, I dunno. Some would argue aerodynamics but I honestly don't believe that is a significant advantage. Weight still helps but the speed negates that advantage quite a bit. I have raced another TA that had 380rwhp from a roll and I won pretty definitively. His power claims I did not trust, though, so who knows. I have raced a bolt on SS with a 100shot and barely edged him out.....not so ironically, so did the WS6 above. That particular SS has a reputation for not being all that fast.
While I don't consider myself a great driver, I do know where the power is at on the LS6 and I try my damndest to make sure I get every bit of it.
Old 11-08-2003, 01:56 AM
((((((Administrator))))))

Originally Posted by FLYNLO
Weight and gearing are probably the best answer...
You just answered it right there John. Every ZO6 I have came across I have walked all of them pretty good, I have 4.10's and I am lighter than WS6's. When the races start from higher speeds it was harder for me to pull on them.

Ask John (U LUZ) about are little run on the freeway. He had a pulley and airbox (I think), and I was running untuned.

Craig
Old 11-08-2003, 08:39 AM
TECH Addict

A 996 Porsche 911 Turbo will be beaten in almost every objective performance category by a Z06. The magazines have done this bit to death.

If you own the Z06 you'll own the Porsche as well.
Old 11-08-2003, 09:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Go drive one and you'll feel differently about that statement!
Old 11-08-2003, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

you could order a standard turbo 911 with the X-50 package which boosts power up to 450bhp. A close friend of mine has it on his 911.......very worth the extra cash in my opinion....really wakes up the car!
Old 11-08-2003, 09:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike 01WS6
you could order a standard turbo 911 with the X-50 package which boosts power up to 450bhp. A close friend of mine has it on his 911.......very worth the extra cash in my opinion....really wakes up the car!
this has already been posted...
Old 11-09-2003, 04:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

gotcha.....i just didn't feel like reading the "book" that got started.
Old 11-09-2003, 08:07 AM
TECH Resident

....very worth the extra cash in my opinion....really wakes up the car!
And that is a VERY relative statement. You are already paying 120 grand for that car....and then they want more. They are awesome cars but that is a lot of cash.

As far as pulling a car goes.....if you have 2 identical cars, one with 50 more rwhp, that is not that big of a difference when you are talking about to fairly fast cars. If you wanna just wax someone, you are gonna have to be about 150rwhp more for it to be a rapin'.
Old 11-09-2003, 11:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Yeah, I agree with flyno there. That is not a big enough difference on cars like that. Though, its not 50rwhp difference is it? I thought it was 50hp extra at the flywheel.
Old 11-09-2003, 12:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Milla is right, it's 50 fly hp
Old 11-09-2003, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

And that is a VERY relative statement. You are already paying 120 grand for that car....and then they want more. They are awesome cars but that is a lot of cash.

As far as pulling a car goes.....if you have 2 identical cars, one with 50 more rwhp, that is not that big of a difference when you are talking about to fairly fast cars. If you wanna just wax someone, you are gonna have to be about 150rwhp more for it to be a rapin'.
FLYNLO, try riding in them both. You will notice a DEFINATE seat of the pants difference. With the upgraded ball bearing turbos and other modifactions it sure as hell feels a lot different!

We are not talking about more peak horsepower.....that doesn't get you ****. We all know that. But what we are talking about is more area under the curve. The new turbos spool up quicker and provide boost earlier creating more torque down low and much more of an impact during the entire rpm range.

I gotta video of his car racing a stock 911 TT on Gingerman Raceway (road course) Both cars have the same tires and suspension, but you can see in the video that the X-50 smokes the stock TT hands down! If i can find the vid on my camera i will try to upload it.
Old 11-09-2003, 02:16 PM
TECH Junkie

FLYNLO, try riding in them both. You will notice a DEFINATE seat of the pants difference. With the upgraded ball bearing turbos and other modifactions it sure as hell feels a lot different!

We are not talking about more peak horsepower.....that doesn't get you ****. We all know that. But what we are talking about is more area under the curve. The new turbos spool up quicker and provide boost earlier creating more torque down low and much more of an impact during the entire rpm range.

I gotta video of his car racing a stock 911 TT on Gingerman Raceway (road course) Both cars have the same tires and suspension, but you can see in the video that the X-50 smokes the stock TT hands down! If i can find the vid on my camera i will try to upload it.
Yes please do. I would love to see it. GO PORSCHE... wait, this is an american car site... I better shut up now...
Old 11-09-2003, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

And THAT is a VERY relative statement as well.

The rapin gets less and less the more horsepower you have. i.e. Two vipers one with 950rwhp and one with 800rwhp. There is not gonna be as big a difference as with a 300 rwhp trans am and a 450rwhp camaro. The percentages of horsepower are different. The trans am only has 66% of the hp the camaro does where as the viper with the lesser hp is witin 84% of the more powerful one.
Old 11-09-2003, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MillaTK
Yes please do. I would love to see it. GO PORSCHE... wait, this is an american car site... I better shut up now...
Hahaha! Its alright Milla....you can recognize that there's some other sweet cars out there as well. This one in particular. After driving one around for a couple of days i gave the keys back , and i will tell you....there is not a greater all around car i have driven. I drove it in the rain....no prob, all wheel drive baby! I drove it in the sunshine, man did i get some looks! I took it to the grocery store; had some room in the back, and best of all my girl didn't bitch when she was riding in it .

I hope i can find the vid for you! I got a million DV cards with no labels scattered around my house. But i'll be sure to do my best.
Old 11-09-2003, 02:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have h/c, making slightly over 400rwhp (i assume, havent dynoed yet)

last time i was at the track with a bunch of zo6's there, i was trapped consistantly 5 mph faster than the ones with bolts on. my raceweight was 3410
Old 11-09-2003, 09:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

im just wondering mike but what do you enjoy better, the viper or the WS-6? im sure it is two different worlds but what do you like better. and by transformation, what are you going, and who is doing it if it is not you??
Old 11-09-2003, 09:54 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

I wouldn't be too worried about the zo6!
Old 11-10-2003, 12:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Wow, there are like three separate threads going on in this thread... ... ...
Old 11-10-2003, 05:52 PM
TECH Resident

And THAT is a VERY relative statement as well.

The rapin gets less and less the more horsepower you have. i.e. Two vipers one with 950rwhp and one with 800rwhp. There is not gonna be as big a difference as with a 300 rwhp trans am and a 450rwhp camaro. The percentages of horsepower are different. The trans am only has 66% of the hp the camaro does where as the viper with the lesser hp is witin 84% of the more powerful one.
That was EXACTLY the point I was trying to make. And there is more to it than just percentages of power.
Old 11-10-2003, 07:00 PM
Teching In

Be a real man and put a 315/35/17 on those wheels!