Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

DEATH by 3.7L

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 04:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rcastillo002
Yeah as far as my car being 100%... no lol I am in desperate need of new spark plugs!!! Any suggestions on some good ones? I hear ngk's are pretty good... Or should I just go with regular ones? Anyone in the Fresno area know of some long tubes for sale? As far as
my current mods... Not much... K&n filter,slp cold air box but the stock lid is still there..flowmaster muffler only (lol I know... I bought it with that already on)... Bmr subframe connectors.. Pan.h bar strut tower brace and wheels and tires... I worked on the exterior first because it looked like sh*t!!! Lol
Lid, Long Tubes, ls6 intake if you dont already have one, port the Throttle Body, and a tune. change the spart plugs with the headers. y pipe if at all possible, and an UnderDrive pulley will help. Dont let homeboy get away with this twice.

Stall converters make a huge difference from a dig but roll racing they dont help much, maybe 15 whp because they are lighter than stock.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:19 AM
Launching!

Yeah as far as my car being 100%... no lol I am in desperate need of new spark plugs!!! Any suggestions on some good ones? I hear ngk's are pretty good... Or should I just go with regular ones? Anyone in the Fresno area know of some long tubes for sale? As far as
my current mods... Not much... K&n filter,slp cold air box but the stock lid is still there..flowmaster muffler only (lol I know... I bought it with that already on)... Bmr subframe connectors.. Pan.h bar strut tower brace and wheels and tires... I worked on the exterior first because it looked like sh*t!!! Lol
hey man im from fresno dude nice 2 see u online. also ngk's are alot better i have them on my car currently what color is ur car and whats ur name man i might know u.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CarsandWomen
Lid, Long Tubes, ls6 intake if you dont already have one, port the Throttle Body, and a tune. change the spart plugs with the headers. y pipe if at all possible, and an UnderDrive pulley will help. Dont let homeboy get away with this twice.

Stall converters make a huge difference from a dig but roll racing they dont help much, maybe 15 whp because they are lighter than stock.
+1000000000, I agree with this post completely. You will notice a difference and the 370 is gonna get his feelings hurt. The stall will help a bit from a roll, but it's really more for dig racing. Just don't forget good tires.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i've asked this before and i'll ask this again, how much hp would UDP net you? i've been debating about spending $250 on it but can't see if it's worth it
Old 07-05-2009, 10:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Swift_01_z-28
That's just crazy, I have read they run a 13.4 stock, they must be way under-rated, and that 13.4 must be bullshit as well. Of course for the money of a 370z, I would just get me a c5z, mod it, and completely destroy one, but that's just my personal opinion.
How much can you get a c5z for? plus mods?
the 370z is $34,000msrp
332hp,
Nismo version is 350hp

Motortrend says the regualar 370z 13.3 1/4mile
Old 07-05-2009, 10:23 AM
Staging Lane

well im from visalia/tulare area.... i just figured i wold ask about fresno since there would be a higher chance of anyone selling LT's in fresno lol...my car WAS maroon but is charcoal now... black wheels... hid lights... i'll post up pics of before and after on here pretty soon...LS1PASSION...u ever in the tulare/visalia area?
Old 07-05-2009, 11:15 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by proporio
the 370z is $34,000msrp
332hp,
Nismo version is 350hp

I've seen C5Z's go for a hair below $20k...
Old 07-05-2009, 11:27 AM
On The Tree

I would recommend everything said here except the ported T/B which more than likely won't net any additional power with bolt-ons, nor do I think spending the xtra cash on an LS6 intake is necessary either. If my information serves me correct the 370 is a low 13-second (13.2-13.3) car at around 106-108, there not to far ahead a stock A4. With LT's/Y-pipe & Cut-out, a Lid and a decent mail order tune you should be able to handle that Nissan and then some. And all of those parts can be had for cheap nowadays. If you really wan't to suprise him throw some gears out back and run him from a low roll.

Last edited by Demon 383; 07-05-2009 at 11:33 AM.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:37 AM
12 Second Club

See if you can catch a deal on some long tubes. My Pacesetters took me from 13.4s to 12.9s consistently. I don't see how this thing pulled you by 3 and a half, so maybe your driving is off or the car's in turd mode.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Demon 383
I would recommend everything said here except the ported T/B which more than likely won't net any additional power with bolt-ons, nor do I think spending the xtra cash on an LS6 intake is necessary either. If my information serves me correct the 370 is a low 13-second (13.2-13.3) car at around 106-108, there not to far ahead a stock A4. With LT's/Y-pipe & Cut-out, a Lid and a decent mail order tune you should be able to handle that Nissan and then some. And all of those parts can be had for cheap nowadays. If you really wan't to suprise him throw some gears out back and run him from a low roll.
I hope you'e kidding about the ls6 intake, I installed ls6 intake and gained about 20rwhp, so op if your car is pre 01 ls6 intake swap is really worth it
Old 07-05-2009, 11:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

eh this thread makes me depressed. i feel for ya OP, it must have sucked to get beat by that nissan. mod up and run em again.. well after you work out your bugs.

ls6 intake is well worth it like others have said. full exhaust and a full dyno tune will help you too.. well while your at the full tune might as well get a new cam too.. toss some heads on there. Oh and a stall, thats where i started.. you'll be looking way back next time you run him
Old 07-05-2009, 11:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Next time downshift to second manually and you will do a lot better.Good luck with the mods.Full bolt ons should get you in the 12's with a tune and gears/stall
Old 07-05-2009, 12:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by raysadude
I hope you'e kidding about the ls6 intake, I installed ls6 intake and gained about 20rwhp, so op if your car is pre 01 ls6 intake swap is really worth it
Actually no i'm not kidding. What were your mods when you did the intake swap? From what i've seen LS6 intakes on stock or bolt-on motors are typically worth about 10rwhp. We did a before and aft on my '99 FRC vette when it was in "bolt-on status" and 10.2rwhp was the result. A few other examples showed similar results. What I was indicating is that the extra few hundred dollars spent for roughly 10rwhp is not necessary to pull a 370Z. Full exhaust, lid and tune should do the job. True more horsepower is always good, but if that's the case why not the O.P. just go all out and add heads + cam and all the other goodies while he's at it.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:22 PM
Launching!

well im from visalia/tulare area.... i just figured i wold ask about fresno since there would be a higher chance of anyone selling LT's in fresno lol...my car WAS maroon but is charcoal now... black wheels... hid lights... i'll post up pics of before and after on here pretty soon...LS1PASSION...u ever in the tulare/visalia area?
yea man im there often my friend lives overthere im currently in sanger dude
Old 07-05-2009, 02:54 PM
Staging Lane

oh thats cool... u should hit me up next time ur in town... we can get some fbodies together and roll to A&W lol... if u hear of anyone selling some LT's let me know man.. lol
Old 07-05-2009, 04:12 PM
12 Second Club

I need to call up Cris and get him to come hang out with us soon too man his 6-sp LT1 is sweet!
Old 07-05-2009, 05:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by proporio
the 370z is $34,000msrp
332hp,
Nismo version is 350hp

I've seen c5zs for 20k. Oh wait not to mention a stock c5z absofuckinglutely destroys 370s in any race.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mulalleybs
I've seen c5zs for 20k. Oh wait not to mention a stock c5z absofuckinglutely destroys 370s in any race.
YUP, YUP, YUP, YUP.....

i saw a gorgeous 03 c5z with about 50k on the clock for 21k.

Now, a stock 03 c5z06 is 405hp, lighter weight, and that still leaves about like 15k for mods. So nismo 370z or not, it isn't touching that vette, not in stock form, let alone with some mods on the vette.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

have you been in a stock converter car and a converter worth a damn?
it makes a HUGE difference..

its also REALLY hard to get these autos in the right gear while racing.........
Old 07-05-2009, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

As far as comparing a C5Z06 to a 370Z... a car that's 6+ years older than a brand new car is cheaper and delivers better bang for your buck... who would have thunk it. Let's all go buy one so we can drive the same thing. Except that it's out of warranty, has miles on the body, drivetrain, and interior, and can't match some of the creature comfort features available on a car like the 370Z. I'm a Chevy guy, but the apples to oranges comparisons are lame. I'm not saying the 370Z is better, but comparing used prices vs. new prices is one of the dumbest things that I always see on here.

Quick Reply: DEATH by 3.7L