Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

New 335i BMW coupe vs. 2001 Camaro SS

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009 | 01:14 AM
TECH Addict
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Roel Aguilar
X2. I beat one just by 1 car length on the freeway from 70 to 130, then we just let off. She came up (cute girl) & gave me a wink & 2 thumbs up. BTW this was in Cobalt SS SC with GM stage 2 only. I thought for sure she was going to take me but I just barely took her. (cobalts are not fast)

Tad is a great guy, unfortunetly, we got in to a mix up about my GTO's N20 tune. Mike said & promised 1 thing but in a tunning world, it wasn't possible for Tad.

BTW, on that tune it was a dry 75 shot and it made 410 HP 440 TQ. It ran a 13.08 @ 108. Do you guys think these are flywheel numbers? It does say flywheel HP on the dyno sheet.
108mph is wayyyyy off for 410rwhp!! you should be in the 114-117 range. I say its 410fwhp.
Old 09-01-2009 | 01:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
me too!! but we are GM ****** so...
That's true.
I just can't resist all the aftermarket, easy to work on and mod friendly.
GM cars are great bang for the buck.

Old 09-01-2009 | 09:01 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
108mph is wayyyyy off for 410rwhp!! you should be in the 114-117 range. I say its 410fwhp.
Thats what I'm thinking. It doesn't seem right. My brother's LS2 GTO made 380 HP & 390 TQ on the same dynapack, tuned. It only traps 105 at the 1/4. The camaro in my sig put 345 on the dynapack, then got a cam & headers installed & tuned at Cunningham Motorsports & made 371. The 371 on Ryne's Dyno feels more solid than the 345 on Mike's Dyno. It doesn't feel like the car gained 26 Hp, it really feels like the car gained something like 75 Hp. Probably if we take the car to Mike's Dyno, it would probably put 400+ on the dynapack. IMO, I really believe the dynapack numbers are closer to Flywheel HP, especially since the print out does say FLYWHEEL HP.

Does anyone know why it says, FLYWHEEL HP?
Old 09-01-2009 | 01:13 PM
TECH Regular

What are the specs on ur cam? I made 423 rwhp 393 rwtq with a trex.
Old 09-01-2009 | 02:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SVTHuh
They arent flywheel numbers that they dynapack dyno spits out, they aren't wheel hp number either technically. It spits out hub numbers which are in between, but much closer to wheel than flywheel.

Tad is a great tuner. He really knows his stuff and provided me with a great dyno tune that is dead nuts on the money for max power yet still safe as well as a very well mannered street tune. Minimal surging, excellent drive-ability, etc.

Sucks you didn't get things worked out with Mike and his shop. I am convinced he is one of the best shops/tuners around.
I was convinced too, that's why we use to go there. Till Mike showed me how much he really knew about tunning cars. Tad is cool, Cisco & Chino are great guys!! Steve is the best parts guy there is with the best overall attitute.

Mike....well, let's just say he didn't know where the #1 plug was on my 72 pontiac ventura....He turned my distributer around and set my timming off the #2 plug. My car hesitated so much to start. Once it finally did, it idled as if had a high lift cam. When I told him that they had their timming gun on the #2 plug (on the passenger side), Mike insisted it was the #1 & that I WAS WRONG. I kept inisting that was the #2 plug, he said no. We argued for 20 minutes. Finally I called Kragen and they confirmed on speaker phone the #1 plug was on the driver side. He went out, turned everything around, and my car fired right up.

Point of the story is: He doesn't listen, he thinks he knows it all, when after this, he proved to me that he doesn't. Plus while my car was on the dyno, he disconnected the TV cable. My car has a TH2004r 4 speed. It was bouncing like crazy on the dyno..Big mistake. Luckily, he didn't burn out my tranny. But as long as you're happy, thats what matters.
Here is the video to that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFVye-5k2gA

Last edited by Roel Aguilar; 09-01-2009 at 04:41 PM.
Old 09-01-2009 | 03:03 PM
Launching!

i beat one too on the freeway in frisco texas....guy tried to play cat and mouse and stay on my tail but i guess he didnt realize i make almost 50 more horse at the wheels than he does to the crank. needless to say i put at least a football field on him. good kill man!!
Old 09-01-2009 | 10:15 PM
Banned

I was convinced too, that's why we use to go there. Till Mike showed me how much he really knew about tunning cars. Tad is cool, Cisco & Chino are great guys!! Steve is the best parts guy there is with the best overall attitute.

Mike....well, let's just say he didn't know where the #1 plug was on my 72 pontiac ventura....He turned my distributer around and set my timming off the #2 plug. My car hesitated so much to start. Once it finally did, it idled as if had a high lift cam. When I told him that they had their timming gun on the #2 plug (on the passenger side), Mike insisted it was the #1 & that I WAS WRONG. I kept inisting that was the #2 plug, he said no. We argued for 20 minutes. Finally I called Kragen and they confirmed on speaker phone the #1 plug was on the driver side. He went out, turned everything around, and my car fired right up.

Point of the story is: He doesn't listen, he thinks he knows it all, when after this, he proved to me that he doesn't. Plus while my car was on the dyno, he disconnected the TV cable. My car has a TH2004r 4 speed. It was bouncing like crazy on the dyno..Big mistake. Luckily, he didn't burn out my tranny. But as long as you're happy, thats what matters.
Here is the video to that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFVye-5k2gA
Well, his numbers were a lot closer to Flywheel HP up until about a year ago. He has since loaded in a much more conservative calibration into the dyno that gives numbers closer to between a typical mustang dyno and a dynapack. Mike does do some good work. I know he can be a little over zealous sometimes and everybody does make mistakes, but he is an all around great guy and a good friend. He is also my future brother in law.. lol.

If you want to figure out your new numbers based on his new dyno calibration, easiest way is to subtract around 20hp from what it was reading.

Anyways, dyno numbers are for bench racers. I like to see big numbers too, dont get me wrong, BUT... Peak power numbers are about as useful as cotton condom. Dyno's are tuning tools. I look at it that way. I would rather put my car on a hub style dyno where we can do load tuning throughout the entire rpm range with virtually every tps angle possible which will yeild much better end results than a dynojet where it is just make a pass, shoot a tune, make a pass, shoot a tune, etc. I know some dynojets can do this to an extent as well, but then you have other variables such as tires, strap load, etc.

I loves me the dynapack. They just suck to load the car on and take it off.
Old 09-01-2009 | 11:40 PM
Teching In

Do you have any track times?
Old 09-02-2009 | 01:32 AM
Banned

Do you have any track times?
Road Race suspension, NT-01's at full pressure... 12.9@114.. According to my HPtuners scan logs, my big sticky tires were slowing me down a full 1mph between shifts (not power shifting, trying to save my diff)

The car moves out, well.. It is definitely making the power Mikes dyno claims it to be making.
Old 09-02-2009 | 12:48 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Well, his numbers were a lot closer to Flywheel HP up until about a year ago. He has since loaded in a much more conservative calibration into the dyno that gives numbers closer to between a typical mustang dyno and a dynapack. Mike does do some good work. I know he can be a little over zealous sometimes and everybody does make mistakes, but he is an all around great guy and a good friend. He is also my future brother in law.. lol.

If you want to figure out your new numbers based on his new dyno calibration, easiest way is to subtract around 20hp from what it was reading.

Anyways, dyno numbers are for bench racers. I like to see big numbers too, dont get me wrong, BUT... Peak power numbers are about as useful as cotton condom. Dyno's are tuning tools. I look at it that way. I would rather put my car on a hub style dyno where we can do load tuning throughout the entire rpm range with virtually every tps angle possible which will yeild much better end results than a dynojet where it is just make a pass, shoot a tune, make a pass, shoot a tune, etc. I know some dynojets can do this to an extent as well, but then you have other variables such as tires, strap load, etc.

I loves me the dynapack. They just suck to load the car on and take it off.
dyno dynamics, land and sea ,and mustang dynos can all load the car the same way as a dynopack, i have tuned on all of them so i know... just some fyi

Last edited by Ryne @ CMS; 09-02-2009 at 12:56 PM.
Old 09-02-2009 | 03:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ryne @ CMS
dyno dynamics, land and sea ,and mustang dynos can all load the car the same way as a dynopack, i have tuned on all of them so i know... just some fyi
Good to know Ryne.. I know they can all load up the vehicle, but I was unaware that they would be able to keep the axles spinning at the same speed throughout and entire sweep of the throttle? How much power are they capable of holding back? I would imagine that they would run into issues of tire adhesion in high hp cars.

Thanks again for letting me borrow the crane valvespring tool when I did my cam.. You were a life saver!
Old 09-04-2009 | 05:24 PM
Teching In

What does your car run with all its mods?
No numbers on mine as it sits, but I had downpipes and an intercooler upgrade done a coupe of months ago that allowed me to go to a higher stage tune. Others with the same mods are running anywhere from 12 - 12.4 115-118. .2

Some factory freaks are in the high 11's with race gas and less of a mod list than I have.

1) The tune just keeps getting better. For instance the tuner I use is working on a power lag problem that only exists on 6MT's that are tuned. It is a factory boost logic issue (glitch in the boost control system) that works fine for stock levels of boost ,but incorrectly when you are tuned. The result is a closing of the throttle by the DME, and de-spooling of the turbos, that you then have to wait to spool up again. The correction that is in beta testing now could account for as much as .4 off the 1/4 mile.

2) Meth kits are just starting to get perfected. There are people with 91 octane + meth showing 415-425 WHP and up to 450WTQ (on stock turbos). IAT's dropping 30 degrees below where they are with an upgraded intercooler and it is effectively making the 91 octane go up to 100 octane allowing for a nice level of timing advance.

I think 11.7 is possible on a full bolt on + tune and Meth with pump gas.

Attached is one of the latest meth +91 octane dynos (somewhere in the 16's for boost). My car weighs about 3500 even.
Attached Thumbnails New 335i BMW coupe vs. 2001 Camaro SS-stg3meth.jpg  
Old 09-04-2009 | 08:15 PM
TECH Resident

i drove my cousins which was a lease- he wanted to race me for money but it never happened...

for all the creature comforts the car moves, but is by no means a race car... and i had the car up to 240* by the time i was done
Old 09-05-2009 | 03:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by scottp999
No numbers on mine as it sits, but I had downpipes and an intercooler upgrade done a coupe of months ago that allowed me to go to a higher stage tune. Others with the same mods are running anywhere from 12 - 12.4 115-118. .2

Some factory freaks are in the high 11's with race gas and less of a mod list than I have.

1) The tune just keeps getting better. For instance the tuner I use is working on a power lag problem that only exists on 6MT's that are tuned. It is a factory boost logic issue (glitch in the boost control system) that works fine for stock levels of boost ,but incorrectly when you are tuned. The result is a closing of the throttle by the DME, and de-spooling of the turbos, that you then have to wait to spool up again. The correction that is in beta testing now could account for as much as .4 off the 1/4 mile.

2) Meth kits are just starting to get perfected. There are people with 91 octane + meth showing 415-425 WHP and up to 450WTQ (on stock turbos). IAT's dropping 30 degrees below where they are with an upgraded intercooler and it is effectively making the 91 octane go up to 100 octane allowing for a nice level of timing advance.

I think 11.7 is possible on a full bolt on + tune and Meth with pump gas.

Attached is one of the latest meth +91 octane dynos (somewhere in the 16's for boost). My car weighs about 3500 even.
Impressive.. I know those cars have LOTS of potential with minor mods.

Looks like those cars are just a touch lighter than an F-body. Is that weight with you in it? Full tank? Whats the gearing like in them? I would love to get a crack at a nice highway run with a modded one. The outcome should be interesting to say the least. I really don't think I would mind a death to one, unless it was a humiliating one.
Old 09-06-2009 | 08:37 AM
Teching In

Impressive.. I know those cars have LOTS of potential with minor mods.

Looks like those cars are just a touch lighter than an F-body. Is that weight with you in it? Full tank? Whats the gearing like in them? I would love to get a crack at a nice highway run with a modded one. The outcome should be interesting to say the least. I really don't think I would mind a death to one, unless it was a humiliating one.
That weight is pretty much empty with 1/4 tank. The stock runflats allow you to drop 20lbs-25lbs on new wheels and tires (total), 25lbs on DP bk exhaust, 10lbs on Downpipes, 30-40lbs on a light weight battery. There is still about an 80lb savings I could get in seats, but you lose some of the safety, and have to get simulators for the sensors, so I have not attempted it yet.

Here are some dragtimes entries for the 335i (RWD). There are others for the 33XI (AWD): http://www.dragtimes.com/results.php...arch+DragTimes

I'm in a place where it is so rare that anyone would like to race, it's pathetic. I still go out looking about once a week for fun.
Old 09-06-2009 | 02:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by scottp999
That weight is pretty much empty with 1/4 tank. The stock runflats allow you to drop 20lbs-25lbs on new wheels and tires (total), 25lbs on DP bk exhaust, 10lbs on Downpipes, 30-40lbs on a light weight battery. There is still about an 80lb savings I could get in seats, but you lose some of the safety, and have to get simulators for the sensors, so I have not attempted it yet.

Here are some dragtimes entries for the 335i (RWD). There are others for the 33XI (AWD): http://www.dragtimes.com/results.php...arch+DragTimes

I'm in a place where it is so rare that anyone would like to race, it's pathetic. I still go out looking about once a week for fun.
Well, if your local.. I wouldn't mind obliging you to a run or two.

Thanks for the info.. They are fairly impressive cars.
Old 09-07-2009 | 08:57 AM
Teching In

Well, if your local.. I wouldn't mind obliging you to a run or two.

Thanks for the info.. They are fairly impressive cars.
Check out http://www.e90post.com/forums/index.php?

There are regional forums. In your area, probably very easy to find a modded car for a fun contest.

Quick Reply: New 335i BMW coupe vs. 2001 Camaro SS