Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

What digital cameras do you guys use for racing vids??

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 09:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What digital cameras do you guys use for racing vids??

Hey guys. I am in the market for a new digital camera and I am curious.....I need one that gets a good quality night video as I am mainly using it to film races at night, but I also want one that takes nice high quality still pictures too. Preferably in the 200$ or below price range (a little over is fine too if the camera is worth it). Good sound capturing would be a plus too. Let me know what you guys use! I was told cannons are some of the best but I havn't looked into them much yet. Thanks in advance!
Old 11-17-2009, 10:23 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JVC works great for daytime only: if you want night racing films DO NOT get any JVC! According to all the reviews I've read in the last couple years, Sony has and continues to be the leaders in lowlight filming. I've seen race videos where you would swear it was dusk still when it was 1am in the middle of nowhere.

Just make sure you get a HD capable camcorder: 720P is minimum for HD, it equates to a 1280x720 resolution? something like that. My YouTube vids are all on my JVC Everio HD 80gig hard drive camcorder: nighttime mode sucks ***** and has a nasty lag/low frame rate.

FYI: most of my videos are kinda washed out because on normal mode when I went into dark areas (under tree canopies, etc) it got too dark on the 'daylight' mode. On the 'dusk' mode it bleaches out the picture but you get no too-dark out areas. stupid azz camcorder.
http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_type=&aq=f

Last edited by Sticks n Stones; 11-17-2009 at 10:28 AM.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you get a "nightvision" cam. Like Sonys "Night Shot". We film all of ours with it. It skews colors at night, but lets you see the cars, not just the head/tail lights. Ours it getting old though, starting to get a bit fuzzy. Not sure on the specific model, its my buddies Sony HDD NightShot cam.

Also, if your getting into race video making try to stay with the common sense basics: No faces, real names, plate numbers, and avoid street signs or identifying objects/landmarks. Some of these videos I see posted are ***** out crazy. They might as well show their phone numbers,home address and SSN.

Even though we do all our racing in Mexico, you never know when their government is going to start getting mad at us.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard that sony does have a good night mode, but I also heard that thier cameras aren't the best for taking just regular pics. And coolaid, when in night mode, does it give the picture that greenish, whitish look? I'm trying to stay away from that and go with something that just captures all available light to make night races decently clear with just the light from the streetlights (so the picture doesn't look like "night vision"). I'll have to do some research. I was just curious what some of you use, since I always see vids on youtube and wherever else where the picture is awesome during night races.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:31 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Read the stickies.