Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

1999 Trans am vs ? Dodge Challenger SRT8

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009 | 11:15 PM
11 Second Club

Ahhh gotcha. I guess I need to keep up on Caddys more. I thought all of them were LS6 powered (except new ones, of course)
Old 12-30-2009 | 01:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 19BLACKBIRD99
I have headers, magnaflow exhaust, 25% underdrive pulley with alternator pulley, lid, bellow, kn filter, and thats it, and Im pretty sure the cts-v had something major done, we were rolling about 60 which is never good for an auto
actually, 60 is a good speed for an auto to downshift up until 70.
70 and after, you are in trouble
Old 12-30-2009 | 02:37 PM
On The Tree

I have headers, magnaflow exhaust, 25% underdrive pulley with alternator pulley, lid, bellow, kn filter, and thats it, and Im pretty sure the cts-v had something major done, we were rolling about 60 which is never good for an auto
This race sounds about right but im not sure the Cts-V had anything major done to it.. When I had just Corsa and CAI I had a friendly race with my buddies 05 Vette A4 w/ CAI.. We went from about a 60 roll (money mph for V's) to about 125mph. I got the jump and held it til 5th gear when he got about a fender on me. If anything the V had headers and a tune. Nice Kill/Death.. A 3600 Yank and sum Gears will put you were you need to be for sure!

Originally Posted by NiteRiderWS6
whats done to your car? and if you beat an SRT challenger you would have beat the CTS-V so maybe the callenger was an R/T
I came across a Challenger SRT awhile back an older guy has one in my neighborhood, caught him doin sum doughnuts so knew he was game Haha.. We had a chance to play once got him by a car or 2 from 50-95mph. And I thought my car was a PIG! LOL
Old 12-30-2009 | 03:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by V-CIOUS

I came across a Challenger SRT awhile back an older guy has one in my neighborhood, caught him doin sum doughnuts so knew he was game Haha.. We had a chance to play once got him by a car or 2 from 50-95mph. And I thought my car was a PIG! LOL
Stick or auto, but stock? Sounds about right with your mods. A 55/60mph start would have helped only a little, splitting hairs on that one.

Last edited by Deuuuce; 12-30-2009 at 07:25 PM.
Old 12-30-2009 | 03:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Stick or auto, but stock? Sounds about right with your mods. A 55/60mph would have helped only a little, splitting hairs on that one.
ive always wanted to know what was faster between the 300c and Charger SRT8 vs the LS6 and LS2 CTS-V's.
Old 12-30-2009 | 07:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NiteRiderWS6
ive always wanted to know what was faster between the 300c and Charger SRT8 vs the LS6 and LS2 CTS-V's.
Drivers race depending on the powerband/gearing. The SRT-8s are far easier to launch than the 1st gen. Vs though.

I'm not sure if any Vs have ran high 12s @ 110mph but some SRT-8s have in perfect conditions.

The 1st gen. V was a great car. Almost makes the G8 GXP a little redundant.
Old 01-08-2010 | 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I still don't think, Challengers and Chargers are muchhh to talk about. Kinda heavy.
Old 01-09-2010 | 03:43 PM
Launching!

I still don't think, Challengers and Chargers are muchhh to talk about. Kinda heavy.
Alright that breaks it - ive been in the seat of every one ove the cars mentioned - ur full of crap bro. I have measured all these cars at the very same track, (and on the streets numerous times) an ill tell you sraight up bro - with the mods you have - a bone *** stock SRT8 Charger will fender race you AT WORST. An SRT8 Challanger will do about a tenth better than that (weight) ...the SRT 300 will do about a tenth worse (once again weight). With an equal amount of bolt ons ill bet my ******* a SRT300 would match you dead even in a 1/4 mile race, given equal drivers. The LS2 CTS-V is a beast from a roll, but the rearend design allows for bad wheel hop and prone to spinning or breaking if you actually stick. Id say the LS2 CTS-V and the SRT8 Charger would be dead even. I was an LS1 junky that went to the MOPAR darkside...trust me..weve got somethin here.
Old 01-09-2010 | 03:54 PM
Launching!

Just so you know...out here at 3,500ft your mild bold on setup would eek into the 13's. My bud w/an 01' T/A - identical setup to you - 13.8 all day long. My SRT 300C w/only the cats deleated at the time - 13.9 all day long. Same track same day. A bone stock SRT Charger at the same event was consistantly running 13.7 and outtrapping the lighter LS1. Unfortunately ive never seen a well driven Challenger at the track locally but weighing a bit less than the Charger physics say it should go a fraction quicker. None of the aforementioned cars were spinning or poorly driven. Guys like you are who i drive around looking for about sundown on weekends. And i gotta trunk i can fit your ego in!
Old 01-09-2010 | 03:59 PM
Launching!

Get that 4kTCI stall and a set of Mickey Thompson E/T streets just like i had on my full bolt on stock cam auto and maybe...just maybe, you can get a big enough jump that it would take more than a 1/4 for a mildly modded SRT like mine to catch ya! (Sorry i had too)

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=62913428

Last edited by SSickLS1; 01-09-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old 01-09-2010 | 08:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

haha, I mean do I need to let yaw ride in the car with me next time! and I saw a 300 SRT8, running 9's in an 1/8th, and I ran an 8.60 spinning. I'm just telling you that I beat a SRT 8 challenger. andd I didnt beat the CTS-V because we were rolling about 60-65 and I knewww autos can do to well on that.
Old 01-09-2010 | 11:00 PM
Launching!

If it makes you feel better...i raced a LS1 Z28 while runnin some errands right after those last posts...i got my *** handed to me WAY bad. I was next to em at the light w/my windows up and it was quiet - didnt sound cammed at all. I kinda took off and got out of it to let em hear the 6.1 - he quickly gave chase and at about 40ish i saw his front end lift up in my side view (at that time he was positioned about a carlength back) i went WOT and when i expected the (i thought) bolt on LS1 to loose momentum and start to fall away he just shifted another gear and put a car on me before letting off! At first i was like **** dude i traded THAT in for THIS!!! Then we both pulled over and shot the **** and my pride was restored when i found he had a h/c & FAST92 installed and tuned by TSP. He said the car put down 440somethin on their dyno.

And as far as all the other BS - all im sayin is this... the next chance you get to hit a SRT8...find one w/at least half as many bolt ons as you have and a driver you know can get it - you may realize that thay are nothing to scoff at. I found that out when i had a SuperBee fender race my full bolt on tuned SS. Its a lil unexpected to see a 4 door all over ya. I test drove a few, fell in love and now i can appreciate a lil luxury

Last edited by SSickLS1; 01-09-2010 at 11:15 PM.
Old 01-09-2010 | 11:29 PM
Launching!

And one last thing...if i remember correctly the STOCK driveshaft on both my LS1's looked and felt alot like aluminum to me. Maybe im wrong but unless you can name some other metal theyre made of id prolly take that off my mod list. Kinda like listing an LS6 intake for a 02' mod list. Just IMO.
Old 01-09-2010 | 11:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SSickLS1
And one last thing...if i remember correctly the STOCK driveshaft on both my LS1's looked and felt alot like aluminum to me. Maybe im wrong but unless you can name some other metal theyre made of id prolly take that off my mod list. Kinda like listing an LS6 intake for a 02' mod list. Just IMO.
Some were equipped with steel drive shafts from the factory. I can't remember which, what, or why, but I know some had steel, and some had aluminum.
Old 01-10-2010 | 10:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 4WOFURY
Some were equipped with steel drive shafts from the factory. I can't remember which, what, or why, but I know some had steel, and some had aluminum.
2.73 a4 vehicles came with steel DS.
Old 01-10-2010 | 11:57 AM
On The Tree

My buddy has a 05 Daytona Charger I know that it is the 5.7 Hemi. But it has heads and cam and full bolt-ons.
My car was down but another friend of mine went to the track with us with his stock 02 SS.
When they lined up the Camaro SS ran a 13.28 and the Charger ran a 13.32! It does not get much closer then that. Then Camaro was a AT and obviously the Charger was to.

I know this winter my buddy with the Charger is building a Stroker for the Charger, I believe it will be a 390ci but I am not positive on that. I am building a 408 for my Camaro.

So we will have to go to the track and see how the strokers do against each other. ( I am guessing I am going to have the edge NA, but I will MURDER that Charger when they 250 shot comes on! )
Old 01-10-2010 | 02:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Z/YA
My buddy has a 05 Daytona Charger I know that it is the 5.7 Hemi. But it has heads and cam and full bolt-ons.
My car was down but another friend of mine went to the track with us with his stock 02 SS.
When they lined up the Camaro SS ran a 13.28 and the Charger ran a 13.32! It does not get much closer then that. Then Camaro was a AT and obviously the Charger was to.
That is awfully low for an H/C 5.7. A bolt-on only R/T will run 13.4s/13.5s with a 1.9 60ft but at 104mph or so. What were the trap speeds?

An H/C 5.7 is a mid/high 12 car @ 111mph+ iirc.
Old 01-10-2010 | 04:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
That is awfully low for an H/C 5.7. A bolt-on only R/T will run 13.4s/13.5s with a 1.9 60ft but at 104mph or so. What were the trap speeds?

An H/C 5.7 is a mid/high 12 car @ 111mph+ iirc.
I am not sure what he was traping, It has been about a year ago since we did this. He also had some clown from austrilla tuning the car. He was supposed to some great hemi tuner and he could never get the cold start down so who knows if it was right all the way across the board.
My friend has somebody else tuning it now and he says the car runs real good now, I have not rode in it since through. It did feel faster then a low 13 second car through.
He now has a 3000stall, he had no track times with the stall.

We will know this spring through when we get our cars back out
Old 01-10-2010 | 05:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SSickLS1

And as far as all the other BS - all im sayin is this... the next chance you get to hit a SRT8...find one w/at least half as many bolt ons as you have and a driver you know can get it - you may realize that thay are nothing to scoff at. I found that out when i had a SuperBee fender race my full bolt on tuned SS. Its a lil unexpected to see a 4 door all over ya. I test drove a few, fell in love and now i can appreciate a lil luxury
Yeah, SRT8's are no joke. No matter what SRT8 it is. My buddy has an '06 Magnum SRT8. When he had just a cai, and I had a lid, short throw, and DR's, he was only a couple tenths behind me in the 1/4. And it was usually whoever got off the line first would win. We ran eachother about 5 or 6 times at the track one day, and it really surprised the hell out of me. I knew it was pretty fast for a big boat anchor, but not that fast. lol
Old 01-10-2010 | 07:24 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 4WOFURY
typical GM.. My 2wd TBSS has an aluminum shaft while the AWD's have steel. Unles it's a corvette (or new Caddy V's) they could care less what goes in the "lesser" cars/trucks

Quick Reply: 1999 Trans am vs ? Dodge Challenger SRT8