Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Mach One....dead

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2003, 02:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mach One....dead

I was going down Red Bluff........just 3 lanes wide and open road ahead. A Mach One pulls along side. I am trying everything to get some game out of him but He isn't reponding. We come up to a light so I am thinking he might go from a dig but the light turns green before we stop. We are cruising along and I am still hounding him so he hits it at about 50. I am in third....should have been in second but this is one of them smooth dusty roads so I just would have spun in 2nd. He gets a little jump....about 2 cars....and once I get into my powerband(about 70mph), I go by him very quickly and I have about 3-5 cars by 100mph. I'm glad I got a shot at a Mach but they aren't all that snappy.
Old 12-21-2003, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

good kill
Old 12-21-2003, 03:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FLYNLO
I'm glad I got a shot at a Mach but they aren't all that snappy.
What car is snappy compared to a Z06? an SRT-10 Viper? A Murcielago?

Nice kill Flynlo!
Old 12-21-2003, 03:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Nice kill Just curious, what were you expecting him to do? Be up to par with a 40k+ car (not sure exactly what the Z06's cost). Chances are he was pretty close to stock, but nice kill anyway. I really like both cars involved...
Old 12-21-2003, 03:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Super Mario

Nice kill Flynlo!

Ahh, you beat me to it.
Old 12-21-2003, 04:06 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

That's another Ford under your belt. Mach 1's are nice for what they are...glorified GT's IMO. They run decent numbers though considering the crap Ford has been puking out these days. '03 Cobras excluded as always.

Nice kill brotha.
Old 12-21-2003, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by unit213
That's another Ford under your belt. Mach 1's are nice for what they are...glorified GT's IMO.
what like a bullett
or the back seat of a valks wagon..... (im just not having a streight day today )
btw good kill man
Old 12-21-2003, 07:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Super Mario

Nice kill Flynlo!
Thanks folks. Y'all remember my mission?????.....Kill everything. I do like the Mach Ones. I really am glad that Ford is starting to get a little more serious about putting some performance back on the road....and for a decent price. Now hopefully GM will respond with something(other than the GTO....or maybe a better looking one) near the same price point as the Cobra/Mach.
Old 12-21-2003, 07:30 PM
STF Veteran

good kill man
Old 12-21-2003, 08:25 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice kill.
The Mach is a little more than a glorified GT. The only glorified GT is the BULLITT.
Old 12-22-2003, 02:00 PM
STF Veteran

Damn, good kill Flynlo!

I'll drink to that!
Old 12-25-2003, 11:02 PM
Teching In

Crap, this is the thread I wasn't hoping for...

The GT will out handle a z28, stock for stock with the same driver, same place. The 2001 Cobra, the Camaro SS's direct competition that year, will out handle the SS. Throughout the life of Pony cars, the Mustang has always been more of a sports car and the Camaro has been more of a drag strip muscle car. Certainly they have a famous rivalry, but that rivalry is sometimes judged wrongly. They are very different machines. Straight line performance: the Camaro has the advantage over the GT until recently. Ford has introduced the Mach 1 and their insane 2003 Cobra. The Mach 1 and Camaro are a driver's race whereas the Cobra is in Corvette territory. So with that said, let's examine this so called "glorified GT."

The 2001 Mustang GT Bullitt edition (compared to a GT):
slightly more power out of its 4.6 2v V8
suspension has been completely retuned and, sorry for bench racing, many wine and cheese automobile publications have said it is the best handling solid rear axel Mustang Ford has ever released. It might lack, as many would judge, in the power department, but the car was designed to handle well at the road course instead of at the drag strip.

The 2003 Mustang Mach 1:
a lot more power out of its 4.6 4v V8
Suspension has been tuned better than the GT, but the Bullitt will still out handle it. The Mach 1 has been designed with the drag racer in mind more the the Bullitt was. The Mach 1 has a solid rear axel and 3.55 gears which help propel it into many decent numbers in the quarter mile by many Mach 1 owners (Mach1Registry.com).

My point is this: The Mach 1 and the Bullitt are much more than just a "glorified GT." They are worthy opponents on either the strip or the road course and their personalities, and limited availability, make them Mustangs to be remembered.
Old 12-25-2003, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice kill man, I dont understand why people just don't pay the extra 6k for the 03 Cobra...Hell of a bang for the buck if you ask me...

Wes
Old 12-25-2003, 11:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by loveOliver
Crap, this is the thread I wasn't hoping for...

The GT will out handle a z28, stock for stock with the same driver, same place. The 2001 Cobra, the Camaro SS's direct competition that year, will out handle the SS. Throughout the life of Pony cars, the Mustang has always been more of a sports car and the Camaro has been more of a drag strip muscle car. Certainly they have a famous rivalry, but that rivalry is sometimes judged wrongly. They are very different machines. Straight line performance: the Camaro has the advantage over the GT until recently. Ford has introduced the Mach 1 and their insane 2003 Cobra. The Mach 1 and Camaro are a driver's race whereas the Cobra is in Corvette territory. So with that said, let's examine this so called "glorified GT."

The 2001 Mustang GT Bullitt edition (compared to a GT):
slightly more power out of its 4.6 2v V8
suspension has been completely retuned and, sorry for bench racing, many wine and cheese automobile publications have said it is the best handling solid rear axel Mustang Ford has ever released. It might lack, as many would judge, in the power department, but the car was designed to handle well at the road course instead of at the drag strip.

The 2003 Mustang Mach 1:
a lot more power out of its 4.6 4v V8
Suspension has been tuned better than the GT, but the Bullitt will still out handle it. The Mach 1 has been designed with the drag racer in mind more the the Bullitt was. The Mach 1 has a solid rear axel and 3.55 gears which help propel it into many decent numbers in the quarter mile by many Mach 1 owners (Mach1Registry.com).

My point is this: The Mach 1 and the Bullitt are much more than just a "glorified GT." They are worthy opponents on either the strip or the road course and their personalities, and limited availability, make them Mustangs to be remembered.
Hey, Oliver, welcome to the site. You are preaching to a fairly well educated crowd in here. One that has some respect for the Mach One and one that has a hard time respecting the Bullit. No offense, but I think a glorified GT pretty much nails it for the Bullit. There is also this Bullit guy on this forum who has not exactly given grace to the Bullit name. Anyway, I had been wanting to race a Mach One and this was my chance.
Old 12-25-2003, 11:23 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

nice kill
Old 12-25-2003, 11:33 PM
Teching In

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to preach. I just wanted to set my stance on the Mach 1 and Bullitt. I think Ford should have choked out some more horses for the Bullitt, but I still like that it handles really well. I just think a Glorified GT would be something that is just a sticker job with out any performance features. I think it is a great kill for sure, don't get me wrong in that regard. I wish I had a Z06; I love them just as much as I love my Mustang--except I don't own one.

When I got my car, I got it for a lot of reasons including a lack of $33,000 dollars. I got some great rebates and a great deal from the dealer for my car which added up to equal less than the price of a GT. I also fell in love with the retro features like the Shaker hood and Mach 1 name.

Does that Bullitt guy go by the screen name BULLITT?
Old 12-25-2003, 11:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by loveOliver
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to preach. ...................
Does that Bullitt guy go by the screen name BULLITT?
No biggee. I guess I was just alluding to the fact that the natives can get restless in here when it comes to discussing Mustangs at length.....and yes, his name is Bullit. He is actually quite a character. SO it is just a habit that we bash on the Bullit a little bit.
Anyway, we all drive the cars we drive for whatever reasons. The Mustang has always been a good bang for the buck performance car. I like the Mach One in that Ford actually had a vision when they designed it instead of just throwing parts and stickers together. And it turns out the sum of the parts on the Mach One does fairly well.
Old 12-25-2003, 11:44 PM
Teching In

yeah, he flamed me already. He was the first to reply to any of my posts and he flamed me. It was funny and made my Christmas day that much more entertaining.
Old 12-26-2003, 12:08 AM
STF Veteran

you'll come to love bullit. we all do.

I'm not sure I agree that throughout their history the mustang has always been the better handling car and the camaro the better strip performer... mid/late 80s come to mind right off the bat.

I do have to say that I prefer the handling characteristics of my old ride, a 94 GT, vs the 98 T/A I drive now. The mustang made me feel a lot more comfortable cornerning at 70mph or so, and seemed to have better weight transfer characteristics. It also felt a lot lighter than the T/A, which at times can feel like a real pig. I find it odd because the fbodies are based on a newer chassis, and I believe that their given curb weights from the factory are actually pretty damn similar. Of course, I could always have a mental bias because I drove the stang for over 2 years, and I only have 3 months in the T/A under my belt.

Honestly I am not sure which of the two cars I'd choose If I had to pick only one between them (and if the GT was still alive). It's like choosing between your kids or something.
Old 12-26-2003, 12:19 AM
Teching In

hmm, I'm not sure about the mid-80's cars actually. I've only been involved in drag racing the old 5.0s for so long I don't remember corning abilities compared to that of the camaros. The 5.0s were always lighter, but the camaros are quite a bit wider. I'll have to do some research, but even if that is true, the Mustang has been the better handling vehicle most of the time and even beating the camaro over all in the drag strip category ever once in a great while. I think there is always an exception, but for the most part the Mustang handles better and the camaro drags better.