Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Street racing....kinda....?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't admit guilt until he was letting me go, I tried pleading my case the whole time. First thing he does is cuff me and throw me in the back of the car. So yea, I was never read my rights...
Old 02-11-2010, 11:00 AM
Teching In

That sux man, I had a similar incident happen to me about 6 months ago, however i wasnt racing or even thinking about racing. I was cruising down 1960 (N. Houston) and a guy in a white WS6 pulled up next to me. We cruised next to each other for a while when he rolled his window down and told me i had a tail light out. I pulled ahead so he could confirm which one, he pulled back even with me and told me the right one. Never went more that 5 over at any time.

About this time i had to merge behind him (the white TA) for slower traffic when i notice a truck in my rearview on my bumper almost. I get back over b/c i am about to turn right and the truck comes with me. I turn and what do you know its a police Tahoe, who immediately lights me up. I pull over, and he gets me out of the car. He puts me against it and goes to pat me down. I coughed and all of a sudden he slams me against the car. I say "calm down man i just had to cough i'm not being uncooperative here". To which he says "good cause you make a move and i'll splatter your s#!t all over the concrete". Completely unneccesary if you ask me. I ask what the problem is and he tells me about how he just might take me to jail for street racing. I say " you mean the white TA that was beside me right? Well there wasnt any racing involved". His reply is that it is all on video and i dont need to worry about it. I tell him that's cool because the video will be good for me because i never spun the tires, never broke 2500 rpms or went more than 5 over. Well, after running my license, he comes back with some BS about how he would take me to jail but i came up lucky b/c he has just been called to head downtown. Now what would a county cop be getting called downtown at 11:00 at night for? Sounds like he realized he was going to get made a fool of in court if he followed through.

In the end i guess it's just that i ran into one of the cops that gives the good ones a bad name. For the longest time I was really really pissed and thought about filing a complaint, but figured it wouldnt be worth the wasted time and he wouldnt get any discipline anyways. Sorry for the thread jack, but i never put that story up here and always wanted to. What side of town did your incident happen on?
Old 02-11-2010, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

That sucks man, I was @ 1960 and 290 in Crossroads neighborhood. Off of Wortham Blvd and Crossroads Park.

I know there are good cops out there. I have dealt with a few before, and my buddy works sales out a uniform place and knows most cops in Houston. So I have dealt with good ones, but man, the bad ones, ruin it for everyone else.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:35 AM
Teching In

Yeah and the funny thing about mine is i was thinking right before i got pulled over, man this guy would be fun to race if we werent on 1960, which is cop central. I was near T.C. Jester/ Veterans area. I never race anywhere thats not in BFE, freeway runs around here are just asking to get pulled over.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:25 PM
Teching In

Gotta love the pd
Old 02-11-2010, 05:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SLwLS1
Basically his cop buddy knew the other driver, some how, I saw it come across the cops screen as I am cuffed in the back seat. Told him to not arrest him, it is his buddy. So after a big *** warning, and an hour later, he lets me go. I tried to tell him what was up from the get go, but he didn't want to hear it. I had to swallow my pride and tell him I was racing, so he could "win."

I was getting let go and didn't want to start **** with this dumbass cop so I could spend the night in jail...I saw the video, he showed it to me, he didn't have **** on me, but he let me go. Got lucky either way you look at it I guess.

He was being so strict due to the 3 person street racing fatality a week earlier in south Houston.

Sorry for the long read, CLIFFS: Wanted to drag race, but engine was cold and clutch hydraulics fucked, tried to follow, got thrown in the back of a cop car for street racing, released over an hour later...
I don't think it matters when you admit it. You shouldn't admit it. If you kill someone and they find out a day later your still getting busted for it. Just my thoughts.

I didn't admit guilt until he was letting me go, I tried pleading my case the whole time. First thing he does is cuff me and throw me in the back of the car. So yea, I was never read my rights...
I believe the can put you in cuffs and detain you in order to "control the situation." Which is totally up to however the cop feels. He will probably just say he felt safer putting you in cuffs, especially if he was alone at night.
So basically you were detained for "safety" If you were under arrest it would have probably been along the lines of "Your under arrest for the illegal act of street racing in the city of Houston, TX. You have right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney, if you can not provide an attorney you will be appointed one by the city. Do you understand?"
Old 02-11-2010, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by araber89
I don't think it matters when you admit it. You shouldn't admit it. If you kill someone and they find out a day later your still getting busted for it. Just my thoughts.

I believe the can put you in cuffs and detain you in order to "control the situation." Which is totally up to however the cop feels. He will probably just say he felt safer putting you in cuffs, especially if he was alone at night.
So basically you were detained for "safety" If you were under arrest it would have probably been along the lines of "Your under arrest for the illegal act of street racing in the city of Houston, TX. You have right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney, if you can not provide an attorney you will be appointed one by the city. Do you understand?"
Well it was either say I was street racing, or irritate him and spend the night in jail. Sure the charges would of been dropped, but I still would of spent the night in jail. No brainer for me.

I understand why he was putting me the back seat, I was mostly saying that for the fact of, I wasn't under arrest.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well it was either say I was street racing, or irritate him and spend the night in jail. Sure the charges would of been dropped, but I still would of spent the night in jail. No brainer for me.

I understand why he was putting me the back seat, I was mostly saying that for the fact of, I wasn't under arrest.
I see. Ya its total crap the way he treated you! You were definitely mistreated
Old 02-11-2010, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yup, his words were, "Stop lying to me, or you are going to irritate me and I am going to call the DA to see what charges to file you under." Translation, beat the rap or the ride, lol
Old 02-12-2010, 01:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

F**K COPS! Seriously, no good cops out here where I'm at. I've been in the same situation where I've been thrown into the back of a cop car and cuffed while doing the speed limit (apparently two guys up ahead of me were called in), pulled over while cruising 55 on a nice summer day with the cop saying I was going 75, and cops breaking into my house to break up a Halloween party while I was in high school. Didn't even knock on the door or talk to my parents or me or anything and also tried to frame other situations and lied in their police reports constantly saying they talked to me and I was uncooperative. I was raised to respect cops, but after these experiences... Never again.

Pretty much if I ever feel like I need control of other people and need to make up for a lacking in my pants, I'll become a cop. What handjobs of men.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was never read my rights. I was just being held. Any forced or coerced confession would of been useless by him.
actually, that's where you're wrong. if he never said the words "you're under arrest", then you were not under arrest. however, he could still detain you, in handcuffs or not, and during that time, anything you say is still admissible in court.

now, if you were under arrest and he did not read you your miranda rights, then anything you say is not admissible. if you're under arrest, they have to read you your miranda rights before anything you say is admissible in court....but that doesn't mean they can't arrest you without reading them to you, because they can.

so basically:
not under arrest, or under arrest + miranda rights read to you = admissible in court
under arrest without miranda rights read = not admissible in court

Miranda Rights

so when you told them that you were racing (even though you weren't), they could have taken you to jail, and they would have likely won in court. about the only way you would have gotten off that charge is if you had a REALLY good lawyer that was able to prove you were coerced into admitting guilt.

bottom line? NEVER ADMIT GUILT ON THE SPOT. EVER. PERIOD. even if you do end up spending the night in jail, don't admit guilt, ESPECIALLY when you're not even guilty.

Originally Posted by Killemall
We dont have any moveing lidar ( though maybe ours can do this as we just got the newer ones a year or so ago) and we also dont even have computers in our vehicles ( we have to get everything over the radio from central).
no one mentioned anything about moving lidar, they were talking about radar....which can absolutely be used when the radar-equipped vehicle is in motion.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:11 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
actually, that's where you're wrong. if he never said the words "you're under arrest", then you were not under arrest. however, he could still detain you, in handcuffs or not, and during that time, anything you say is still admissible in court.

now, if you were under arrest and he did not read you your miranda rights, then anything you say is not admissible. if you're under arrest, they have to read you your miranda rights before anything you say is admissible in court....but that doesn't mean they can't arrest you without reading them to you, because they can.

so basically:
not under arrest, or under arrest + miranda rights read to you = admissible in court

Miranda Rights

so when you told them that you were racing (even though you weren't), they could have taken you to jail, and they would have likely won in court. about the only way you would have gotten off that charge is if you had a REALLY good lawyer that was able to prove you were coerced into admitting guilt.

bottom line? NEVER ADMIT GUILT ON THE SPOT. EVER. PERIOD. even if you do end up spending the night in jail, don't admit guilt, ESPECIALLY when you're not even guilty.

no one mentioned anything about moving lidar, they were talking about radar....which can absolutely be used when the radar-equipped vehicle is in motion.

Again I can only speak on what I know...I attended a goverment law enforcement academy for 14 weeks and also spent a few weeks at the Honnolulu Police Department academy here in hawaii...

As well I have 18 months doing the job and working hand in hand with HPD...CID...RSI...NCIS...DLNR...

Like you stated their are only two reasons to handcuff some one..

1- Evidance that suggest a reasonable and prudent person would believe the person has caused an arrestable offense and is placed under arrest and given the miranda warnings

2-Officer safety

Officer safety....I always feel unsafe..i work at night in a run down homeless drug infested area...So should I hand cuff everyone I talk too...If their are two of them should I put cuffs on one just in case..

How would you feel to be placed in hand cuffs for doing absolutely nonthing wrong..But the officer dosent feel safe????

The situation must dictate....You got a guy just yelling and screaming at you and telling you he will kick your *** then by all means put cuffs on him and sit him down and let him think...

You got a guy who was possibly street raceing and seams calm...Then their is absolutely no reason to cuff him...

Im probally gonna get chewed out by some of the other law enforcement here but in all honestly..I know if Im gonna make an arrest and do any paper work before I even approach the suspect...

That cop who was bullying him into a confession and hand cuffed him for no reason never even went into detail over the radio to his central what was going on...He knew he was just gonna scare the guy...If he had actually went over the radio then his hands would be tied and he would have had to act...

But he didnt..You dont ask any questions before reading the miranda rights..If the suspect Spontaneously utters I was doing this or that...Then you can possibly use that...Ask one question to the suspect and it's all over,,,

You dont apply hand cuffs with out use of force paper work being filled...

Man I could go on and on and on....hand cuffed/Bullied/interogated...

In real life people actually read and sighn the miranda rights back at the station in front of a detective...

Got cops were I work like this too...Some who will watch all night to look for swerving vehicles..They start seeing what they wanna see..hey man did that vehicle swerve...."No"..then 2 minutes later the same thing...

Some who will use pain compliance on a compliant suspect/arestee just to make a point...

Anyways....Ill shut up now
Old 02-12-2010, 06:17 AM
Launching!

02z28ls1.....

Explain the diff of Radar and lidar..

I only use lidar were I work..

I know lidar is like holding a rifle and looking down a scope..You squeeze the trigger after placeing the red dot on the front or rear of the vehicle and then the speed is shown..

How is Radar operated?
Old 02-12-2010, 06:25 AM
Launching!

Never mind..Found it..

When using lidar, officers must maintain a direct line of sight and keep the lidar signal on the same area of the vehicle until they obtain a speed reading. While not extremely difficult, it does take slightly longer than receiving a reading using radar. (To obtain readings more easily, use a shoulder stock or tripod to steady the device.) Keeping the lidar signal on the target vehicle should not be a major obstacle, but given situations such as the motorcycle and SUV noted above, many officers prefer to use radar in fastest mode to easily obtain the speed of the motorcycle.

In terms of enforcement, the ability of radar to operate in the moving mode is the most significant difference between the two technologies. Currently, lidar cannot operate while moving. No way around this one. If you want to perform speed enforcement while driving around, radar is currently the only game in town other than the traditional (and generally less effective) pacing option. A moving-mode radar unit with two antennas and same-direction capabilities can get speed readings from target vehicles whether the vehicle is approaching or receding from your vehicle, and whether the target vehicle moves in the same or opposite direction as you. Additionally, some locations prove extremely difficult or impractical to use stationary radar or lidar for enforcement. Therefore, moving-mode enforcement is an extremely effective and useful capability.

Working with Lidar

When trying to get a speed reading of the motorcycle going 80 mph passing the SUV going 65 mph, a lidar operator simply aims at the motorcycle. Lidar units don't have or need fastest mode because lidar targets only the vehicle the officer chooses. Many vehicles can simultaneously travel through the wide radar beam, which can bring into question which vehicle produced the displayed reading. (A defendant may bring up this argument in court, but an experienced, well-trained officer should be able to testify as to their tracking history, i.e., how they knew the defendant's vehicle was producing the displayed speed reading and, subsequently, that the ticket is valid.)

Radar units use a Doppler tone to help the officer confirm the speed displayed by the unit is actually the intended target vehicle's speed. Lidar units do not provide a Doppler tone because they display the speed of only the vehicle the officer selects. Lidar does have a target-acquisition tone that remains constant regardless of the speed of the target vehicle (one particular unit simulates a Doppler tone that does correspond to the speed of the vehicle). The tone confirms that the officer has, in fact, obtained a valid speed reading.

Lidar has some unique capabilities as well. For example, when coupled with a mapping program, the range mode on a lidar device provides quick, easy and professional documentation of traffic collisions and crime scenes. If your department does not have the budget for expensive (and bulky) surveying equipment, a lidar with mapping capabilities may be just the ticket.

got some new wrinkles in my brain..thought Lidar was better and radar was absolete..Now i see that radar is better....
Old 02-12-2010, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1

so basically:

Miranda Rights

It wouldn't have of stuck. I watched the video, my girlfriends mom who came on the scene, who is a defense attorney, saw the video. He didn't have anything. Either way, he said he was going to let me go, so sure, I will swallow my pride and lie long before spending the night in jail.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dam, im glad i live in Mayberry. Cops here race with us!
Old 02-12-2010, 12:47 PM
Staging Lane

wow was he the only officer on scene? if so i can understand cuffing you and putting you in the back. but he should of said your not under arrest yet just sit tight till we sort this out
Old 02-12-2010, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

He was the only one on scene at first, then there was like 3 other cop cars, wreckers, and they blocked off the road/intersection.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:10 PM
Launching!

I hate cops like this. Gives the rest of em a bad name. I have been pulled over by some pretty cool cops before, as well as some douche bags. It's sad that some people have no other way to deal with thier emotional problems besides picking on ppl with nice cars...Almost makes me want to go into law enforcement and REALLY PROTECT people for a change.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by violent_celerity
yea, good job being mature about it.. one wrong comment could have ended in you crying into a pillow as bubba mounted you..

"Youre not in jail, youre in holding. People don't get raped in holding....usually."