Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

An old Death.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 06:55 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default An old Death.

Just thought of this old death that would fit in this ls1 world.

It was me in my stock 06 350Z vs a 13.30 Notch on DOT radial.

The night was cold. It was a late friday night, and I was home on leave after not driving my car for nearly 8 months and aching for a run. I was at a small local meet with not many cars of interest.

A quick turbo civic (mid 12's @ 115 or so) that I raced a previous time, knew of a guy with a 5.0 notch. He gives the notch guy a quick call and he was soon on his way out. While waiting we're talking about this guy and he sounds pretty cool. I told him earlier that day I ran a 13.90 and that he would get me but we agreed to do a fun run.

On his way to the meet, I'm checking the ground for temp, and it was very very cold. It was February so it was expected. I was on my worn Bridgestone RE050A tires and began lowering the tire pressure to 20 psi. The same I ran the 13.90 on. I was still had my spare, jack, and tools removed so about 40lbs weight redux.

He rolls up and immediately everyone glances at his rear tires and basically it was a DOT radial but me and everyone else called them slicks. He showed us paperwork which verified they were infact DOT radials. I was like what...

Anyway we were negotiating what the runs would be. I let him know I would not hook but it was fair to run a dig race since it is what he built the car for. But he would not agree to a roll. Claiming rolls are all about hp which they are but still I was more than willing to give him his run. But we both knew what the outcome of a roll race would be.

So we get to the spot and I wait for him to honk it off. 3-2-1, and go. I launched at about 3k slipping the clutch and the rear tires break loose. Him traction was no problem whatsoever. Just launched and took off on me hard. I had to do alot of catching up. My 1-2 WOT shift left the rear tires barking of course and traction was at a loss until 40 mph. Him still pulling cars. He was now about 8-9 cars ahead. I hit 3rd WOT and now could see me gaining ground. At this point the 1/4 mile we had marked with spectators was approaching quickly. My 3-4 shift left me about 3-4 cars back. I was unable to catch him letting off at about 120 or just under.

After the race he was saying how I was definitely catching him, but he would not agree to a roll race again. It was all in fun so after that I went home. Sad I took a loss but my car is currently in the wishlist mode for a highway/street car so it wasn't my race to begin with.

Good race with a good guy.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Z33Option
He showed us paperwork which verified they were infact DOT radials.
LOL

Sounds like you guys didn't to a very good job measureing out the 1/4 mile if you were hitting 120 at the end, haha. Good death though, thanks for posting!
Old 02-18-2010, 10:01 AM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

very nice kill and write up

if it isnt fr money, i hate when im willing to give them theit race but hey wont give me mine.

in my z, i will go from any mph or stop....any day of the week.
in my cobalt, i ask for a roll after i get tore out of the whole and i get a lot of no's.

WTF.....my tires suck, wrong drive and i just wana see the power i make damnit!
Old 02-18-2010, 10:50 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by hugger1975

WTF.....my tires suck, wrong drive and i just wana see the power i make damnit!
I used to get that a lot at dodee road(103rd and stoney island on the chicago/indiana border) maybe you know of it since its semi local.

But there was a notch that was talking about how he ran 12s consistently....at 103 mph (which i didnt even know was possible lol)

I ran him off a dig but i only had my car for like a week and it was still on the shitty stock all seasons. He beat me alright but would not agree to a roll race against ANYTHING lol good times.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:26 AM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

i know it well

im stll buggin my lt1 neighbor to give me a roll.
he jumped 2 full cars from a dig and i drove around him by 3rd.

that was stock, tuned at 7psi more, i wana see how bad i pull him from a 30 roll.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:22 PM
11 Second Club

honorable death considering the tire difference..pretty crappy he wouldn't roll race
Old 02-18-2010, 06:12 PM
Launching!

I dint know that a 350Z could bark the tires on the 1-2 shift...Figured they didnt have enough power/torque
Old 02-18-2010, 06:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Killemall
I dint know that a 350Z could bark the tires on the 1-2 shift...Figured they didnt have enough power/torque
Ehh ive seen a lot less gutless cars chirp third even so its not really a tough feat to accomplish haha
Old 02-18-2010, 06:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like you had fun, which is what its all about in the end.

Why does a 13 second car need street legal slicks though?? >.<. Even nittos would hook well enough.

That was well over a 1/4 if you were doing 120 when you let off though :p