Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Duramax Kill

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 10:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Duramax Kill

No videos, the one night I don't have a camera. I was up at work waiting for my buddy to get off so we could go to the sunday night meets up at quaker steak. While waiting, a newer duramax drives up and dudes girlfriend rolls the window down and says "hey, you wanna race?" My reaction was "race that?" and she says "yea", I point to my car and say "in that?" and she says "uhh yea!". So dude gets out and under the hood and changes the tune (6.6 turbo diesel btw) and we roll out. We get on the highway and run up the road and get off an exit to turn around and get back on the highway. We slow down to do a 50 roll and he honks. He kinda caught me off guard because we were on a curve but on his third honk I went, and put a nose on him. I slowly started putting a few lengths out on him, when I let off I was probably a good 3 or 4 lengths ahead. He followed me back to the parking lot and we talked, said good kill and told me about his tune and how it was just dumping fuel and thats the first time he had ran that tune and how he was only doing 390 to the wheels. Anyways, thought i'd share, kinda excited me since it was my first race in a while, actually kinda suprised me for a bigass truck!!
Old 02-21-2010, 10:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Should've raced him from a dig to make it fair.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

^^^ Lol funny you should post in here, the truck in your sig popped into my head when he pulled up, and I was thinking "**** this could be one of those super diesels running like 1000+ tourqe and i could be screwed. I think I coulda got him off a dig if I would rolled out and not launched, but he woulda definitley got the nose on me.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:25 PM
11 Second Club

They're pretty quick for a truck. Still won't beat a 4th gen but will give it a run for the money.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yea he said he just wanted to run an LS1 to see how his new tune did against it but idk...you usually don't challenge someone to a race knowing you'll lose
Old 02-22-2010, 08:22 AM
10 Second Club

Should have raced my truck.. lol My truck from a dig is killer!!
Old 02-22-2010, 08:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 6.0 silverado
Correct me if i'm wrong on your signature, but if you could get a Gasoline engine to hold 63psi it would make a hell of alot more torque than 1300. Dont 400+ CI gas motors on 20-25psi make that much torque? Not being a dick, that just seems like a lot of boost for that much torque, and my buddy is always telling me how much more efficient his diesel is, but that doesnt scream efficiency to me.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:51 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He would have gotten slaughtered. He would have dropped it into 4 wheel drive and yarded him! Then he would be chasing him down and hoping he stayed in it long enough for him to catch up! YouTube drag racing deisels: They destroy pretty much everything through the 1/8 mile, then fall on there faces. Good kill though: kinda like a 5.0 Mustang: you never know what you're gonna get when you line up with one... 14.9 or 9.9 sec car? You don't know until they hit the go pedal. Though with deisels it's more like 16.9 or 11.9 sec...
Originally Posted by deelong4002
Correct me if i'm wrong on your signature, but if you could get a Gasoline engine to hold 63psi it would make a hell of alot more torque than 1300. Dont 400+ CI gas motors on 20-25psi make that much torque? Not being a dick, that just seems like a lot of boost for that much torque, and my buddy is always telling me how much more efficient his diesel is, but that doesnt scream efficiency to me.
Long stroke engines like a deisel require lotsa boost to fill the cylinder: it's not uncommon for alot of deisels to run 130+psi! For that matter, I coulda sworn I heard stock is in the 60's for some trucks. ?
Old 02-22-2010, 01:24 PM
On The Tree

You obviously don't know very much about thermodynamics. The compression ratio of an internal combustion engine is directly related the efficiency of the engine. Diesel motors commonly run a 22:1 compression ratio, which is much more than even a n/a gasoline engine could run. For a forced induction gasoline motor, the compression ratio would be even less. Also, there is more chemical potential energy per unit volume in diesel than there is in gasoline. So, when you buy a gallon of diesel,you buying more "energy" than if you are buying a gallon of gas. Diesel engines ARE more efficient than gasoline engines and I could calculate a percentage, but I don't feel like wasting anymore of my time.

You could make a gasoline engine strong enough hold 63 psi, but it would be extremely heavy and there is no way to make it hit 63 psi with out severe detonation. Go educate yourself before you sound like a retard again.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You obviously don't know very much about thermodynamics. The compression ratio of an internal combustion engine is directly related the efficiency of the engine. Diesel motors commonly run a 22:1 compression ratio, which is much more than even a n/a gasoline engine could run. For a forced induction gasoline motor, the compression ratio would be even less. Also, there is more chemical potential energy per unit volume in diesel than there is in gasoline. So, when you buy a gallon of diesel,you buying more "energy" than if you are buying a gallon of gas. Diesel engines ARE more efficient than gasoline engines and I could calculate a percentage, but I don't feel like wasting anymore of my time.

You could make a gasoline engine strong enough hold 63 psi, but it would be extremely heavy and there is no way to make it hit 63 psi with out severe detonation. Go educate yourself before you sound like a retard again.
See and that is why i said "correct me if i'm wrong i dont mean to be a dick here" You obviously mean to be a dick.

Mission Accomplished ******** Go pull some trailers or some stumps with your big bad truck.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
He would have gotten slaughtered. He would have dropped it into 4 wheel drive and yarded him! Then he would be chasing him down and hoping he stayed in it long enough for him to catch up! YouTube drag racing deisels: They destroy pretty much everything through the 1/8 mile, then fall on there faces. Good kill though: kinda like a 5.0 Mustang: you never know what you're gonna get when you line up with one... 14.9 or 9.9 sec car? You don't know until they hit the go pedal. Though with deisels it's more like 16.9 or 11.9 sec...

Long stroke engines like a deisel require lotsa boost to fill the cylinder: it's not uncommon for alot of deisels to run 130+psi! For that matter, I coulda sworn I heard stock is in the 60's for some trucks. ?
I don't know of any stock truck that run in the 60 psi range. I know the 99-03 7.3 power strokes run the 20's and newer ford/dodge/chevy diesels run in the 30's. My truck would hit 28 stock and 32 with a programmer and te stock turbo.

But, remember, it's not all about boost numbers alone. It's also about the volume and efficiency range of your turbo(s). I could take off my twins and put on a large single turbo and make bigger horsepower numbers with less boost, but it would spool slow as hell. I would even take off the smaller turbo in my compound turbo setup and make bigger numbers. The smaller turbo "chokes" the larger one from puling more volume, but it allows for a very fast spool up. If this truck was used for sled pulling or dig racing, I probably would run a larger single charger.

Last edited by 6.0 silverado; 02-22-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:34 PM
On The Tree

See and that is why i said "correct me if i'm wrong i dont mean to be a dick here" You obviously mean to be a dick.

Mission Accomplished ******** Go pull some trailers or some stumps with your big bad truck.
Sorry, that was mean. I couldn't help myself.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

I dont think he sounds like a retard at all.... He has a good point there are lots of guys making much more tq than that on much less boost with gas. I know that diesel is more efficent but it looks like your set up is not.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by tittan1500
I dont think he sounds like a retard at all.... He has a good point there are lots of guys making much more tq than that on much less boost with gas. I know that diesel is more efficent but it looks like your set up is not.
Go take a thermo class at you local JC then come post what you learned.

EDIT: Also read my post above to educate yourself further.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:03 PM
Teching In

since you overlooked the original statement from his post because you were in such a hurry to make him feel inferior about his thermodynamics education ill rephrase it. your sig says lets see your gas motors make that much boost and that much torque. gas motors can make that much torque(and horsepower) with less than half the boost.(tho i agree they are less efficient) so mabey your sig should just say lets see your gas motor make lots of boost and half as much horsepower as torque, or twice as much torque as horsepower....the second phase would probably suit your ego better
Old 02-22-2010, 02:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Go take a thermo class at you local JC then come post what you learned.

EDIT: Also read my post above to educate yourself further.
Well My engineering degree covers me for that but it does not change the fact that your truck is less than impressive compared to a 20 psi 400ci gas motor
Old 02-22-2010, 02:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Oh forgot to mention his friend trying to "School" me on LS1's

For some reason alot of local SS guys seem oblivious to the fact that all LS1's from the factory have 350bhp. He also claimed that his bone stock SLP car made 390 to the wheels allthough it only ran a 8.6. I really hate when people argue about things when they're wrong, but it kinda entertains me as well.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by tittan1500
Well My engineering degree covers me for that but it does not change the fact that your truck is less than impressive compared to a 20 psi 400ci gas motor
an engineering degree from ITT tech doesn't count.

I guess a 8,000 pound, 700 horsepower truck that gets 19 mpg on the freeway isn't impressive at all. You're right. what was I thinking...
Old 02-22-2010, 03:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Xtreme864
Oh forgot to mention his friend trying to "School" me on LS1's

For some reason alot of local SS guys seem oblivious to the fact that all LS1's from the factory have 350bhp. He also claimed that his bone stock SLP car made 390 to the wheels allthough it only ran a 8.6. I really hate when people argue about things when they're wrong, but it kinda entertains me as well.
Man! I need to go out there. Change my tag out to a regular one and just tell people its a H/C/I 302. I bet I could have some fun with the LS1 boys if you could keep your mouth shut about me.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by slammed68
since you overlooked the original statement from his post because you were in such a hurry to make him feel inferior about his thermodynamics education ill rephrase it. your sig says lets see your gas motors make that much boost and that much torque. gas motors can make that much torque(and horsepower) with less than half the boost.(tho i agree they are less efficient) so mabey your sig should just say lets see your gas motor make lots of boost and half as much horsepower as torque, or twice as much torque as horsepower....the second phase would probably suit your ego better
I think you're missing the point. The only reason I run more boost is because I need faster spool up. I could run a larger charger (like the ones on gasoline motors) and make more horsepower with less boost. Gas motors have to run bigger chargers because they cannot handle that much pressure for a couple of reasons. My truck is a daily driver and my motor is less that 360 ci with all stock internals making nearly 700 horse power and over 1400 tq on fuel that I can get at at almost gas station. That is a lot more impressive than any gasoline motor I have ever heard of.

Quick Reply: Duramax Kill