Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

99 SS VS 69 BB Chevelle (long)

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 10:49 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 SS VS 69 BB Chevelle (long)

This is an older Kill story but it was funny,
it's a friday night and we're camping out in the staging lanes at Commerce dragway (as usual). as the line gets closer to the front I notice that I'm going to be lined up with a very nice looking 69 Chevelle BB with 454 stickers on the breather. it's got a healthy cam, the car is black on black, very nice. the guy driving it is a tard though. the whole way through the staging lane he's revving it and doing dry hops every time he's required to pull it up (very stupid if you've ever raced at commerce on a tnt night there's about 200 cars in the staging lanes and people every where.) he's coming withen inches to the car in front of him every time he dry hops it.. finally we're at the head of the staging lanes, we're getting ready to pass under the tower the staging officials point us to move forward, he dry hops and the official warns him that if he does it again he's gonna be kicked out. we line up to do our burn outs and he looks over at me and starts revving at me. I did my burn out and pull to the line and pre stage, and he does the same, I stage and he sits there, finally the starter motions for him to move up. he stages. the lights drop when I'm about to the 330 I looked over and it was like dang did he break? I ran my usual low 13. he ran a 14.6x I just laughed at him when we got our time slips. as we were driving back around he took a right out of the gates and left.
Old 12-30-2003, 11:06 AM
TECH Junkie

This belongs in 1/4 racing section.
Old 12-30-2003, 11:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

yep, nuff said about this one. good kill.
Old 12-30-2003, 11:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Another thing. If that vehicle was stock he was running pretty dang good. Our new muscle cars stock will rip the old school muscle a new one. We have better everything. If he was stock or near stock he was running good.
Old 12-30-2003, 11:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Another thing. If that vehicle was stock he was running pretty dang good. Our new muscle cars stock will rip the old school muscle a new one. We have better everything. If he was stock or near stock he was running good. Infact he was running a lot better than good.
Old 12-30-2003, 11:25 AM
TECH Junkie

I have no idea how I posted the same thing twice, sorry.
Old 12-30-2003, 12:39 PM
Launching!

it wasn't stock I think he had way too much cam, he sounded like he should have been running a lot faster. I thought it was about an 11 sec car till I saw it run. Also I posted this here because it is a kill even though it was on the track.
Old 12-30-2003, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hmm they do weigh a whole lot..maybe it was a 454 you never know.
Old 12-30-2003, 12:55 PM
Launching!

a stock bb chevelle weighs about 3500-3600 lbs my car with a 1/4 tank weighs 3700lbs. my 69 when I had an iron head 406 in it only weighed 3200lbs. our cars are heavier than older muscle cars.
Old 12-30-2003, 01:11 PM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by n2o2go
as the line gets closer to the front I notice that I'm going to be lined up with a very nice looking 69 Chevelle BB with 454 stickers on the breather.
It was probably just that........stickers.
Old 12-30-2003, 08:45 PM
12 Second Club

Well the chevelles didnt come with a 454 in 69 so i doubt thats what it was. Unless it was a 70-72 chevelle. The LS6 454 in 70' was the most potent version. They were suposed to run hi 12's i think. But they are rare.
Old 12-30-2003, 11:41 PM
Launching!

it was definately a 69, my cousin had one when we were in high school. yeah the 70 model with the 454 is the LS5 and LS6 versions 69's had a 396 and the copo versions had a 427.
Old 12-31-2003, 02:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice job man. Even though I absoultely love the attitude that the older muscle cars have, I also love spanking these guys at the track- embarrases (sp?) the hell out of them.
Old 12-31-2003, 02:23 PM
Staging Lane

Thumbs up

I had a similar one to that when I was down at Sunshine dragway in Tampa. I had my 99 Z28 at the time and it was my first time out with the converter in. I got lined up with a early 70s Monty that shook my car while he idled it. He was in the lane for the fast cars and I was in the regular street car lane. He had huge tires, a big azz fuel pump on the back with stainless lines and vents in the hood with a custom paint job. I did my little burn out and staged while he put on a big show. The anouncer was talking up the Monty while I sat there and waited for him to cream me. He finally staged and when we got the green I put a nose on him and we stayed that way to the line. I ran a 7.9X to his 8.0X with me on street tires. Made me a believer in A4 cars with a stall real quick, I couldn't believe how hard the car launched. I got booted off the track for no helmet until my buddy Joey showed up and let me borrow his. After that everytime I saw the guy in staging he gave me some real nasty looks. LOL. I just smiled and kept running. I got down to a 7.8X that night. They stuck me with the faster cars for the rest of the night and I did great. The anouncer kept talking up "the little red Camaro" when I would get staged. It was the most fun I ever had at the track. At most tracks you can't hear the anouncer but at Sunshine the speakers are LOUD.
Old 12-31-2003, 03:38 PM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by LeadSled1
I had a similar one to that when I was down at Sunshine dragway in Tampa. I had my 99 Z28 at the time and it was my first time out with the converter in. I got lined up with a early 70s Monty that shook my car while he idled it. He was in the lane for the fast cars and I was in the regular street car lane. He had huge tires, a big azz fuel pump on the back with stainless lines and vents in the hood with a custom paint job. I did my little burn out and staged while he put on a big show. The anouncer was talking up the Monty while I sat there and waited for him to cream me. He finally staged and when we got the green I put a nose on him and we stayed that way to the line. I ran a 7.9X to his 8.0X with me on street tires. Made me a believer in A4 cars with a stall real quick, I couldn't believe how hard the car launched. I got booted off the track for no helmet until my buddy Joey showed up and let me borrow his. After that everytime I saw the guy in staging he gave me some real nasty looks. LOL. I just smiled and kept running. I got down to a 7.8X that night. They stuck me with the faster cars for the rest of the night and I did great. The anouncer kept talking up "the little red Camaro" when I would get staged. It was the most fun I ever had at the track. At most tracks you can't hear the anouncer but at Sunshine the speakers are LOUD.
The announcer at my track ALWAYS says about the loser "just didn't have enough horsepower."
Like, NO ****! And after almost every run?!
Even when a person shuts down because of a mechanical failure, he says "guess he knew he was out horsepowered."
Before a race, he'll talk up a car that sounds mean, and say "let's see if (other car) has enough horsepower to pull through with a win."
It's so freakin annoying. Good thing that the speakers aren't as loud as at your track.
I'm wondering what exactly this guy's qualifications are.