Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

08 cobalt ss vs STI vs mustang 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 11:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
You guys can call BS all you want but when my 5.0 was bolt ons I stayed ahead of a LS1 until 3rd gear from a dig.
Its not all that unbelievable, but at least for me, I don't really worry too much if I'm not ahead going into third gear because thats generally where if im trailing I start reeling back in. Now if I hit third and they are still pulling then the race is likely over lol.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:36 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by fiveoh
Nice runs, what kind of tires are you running? A 5.0 with Dr's and gears should have got you off the line more then that if he could launch good, although he was shifting like a mad man.
im actually running my winter package (17 inch wheels with bridgestone blizzak tires) lol
Old 03-10-2010, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nice cars and some good fun.

NRRA ftw .........

Old 03-10-2010, 12:04 PM

Great races, man! Next time we go cruising I'll bring out my G8. Should be a decent race for the Cobalt.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:13 PM
Teching In

ya cool sounds like fun maybe ill run your camaro when my vette is done N/A that is lol
Old 03-10-2010, 12:16 PM

Definitely! Gonna be a bolt-on LS2, right? I've never raced one, but that should be a very good race.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:21 PM
Teching In

ya headers back fast 102 102tb. Then a cam a little after when i get the money
Old 03-10-2010, 12:57 PM

The car's gonna run strong! You look into a pulley? Those seem to be good for 7-10 rwhp whenever I see them dynoed.

Cammed LS2's are just plain nasty!
Old 03-10-2010, 04:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ju1ce
Hey I'm pretty sure I ran with that STI in my Regal a few weeks ago.
Nice videos
YES!!!!! We did run!!! That was some funny **** man!!! What is done to it? Please dont tell me its stock, ill prolly cry!

That friggin cobalt is quick HUGE difference from the supercharged one! I think the first race i was a little ahead. But the second race we were DEAD even man! That was crazy. I let off at 130ish cuz i do not trust my snow tires for a second. But i think if i didnt let off you would have started pulling on me. Sti's have zero top end well atleast stage II STi's. We have to run again sometime, love fun runs.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
nice job rollin up the window against the STI. I bet that guy in the STI had no idea how much that was affecting him having his front windows down up top. I was rooting for the stang to but it got yanked.
wrong. I was more focused on the road and driving. I didnt have a free hand after I beeped the horn. gotta love all the short gears in an sti! That was a fun day!
Old 03-10-2010, 07:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

god those SS/TC's are sweet. everytime i see them beat something, i get a chuckle out of it. im suprised that shifter is still there. he probably goes through a few a month.

forgot to ask, do those new cobalts have the "no lift shift" thing? someone told me they did...
Old 03-10-2010, 08:03 PM
Banned

hey screamin id like to see how my cadi would do against your camaro without the spray next time we meet.

Just for fun of course, seeing your camaro makes me miss my LT1 f-bodie!
Old 03-10-2010, 08:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by allFOURSbeSPINNIN
YES!!!!! We did run!!! That was some funny **** man!!! What is done to it? Please dont tell me its stock, ill prolly cry!

That friggin cobalt is quick HUGE difference from the supercharged one! I think the first race i was a little ahead. But the second race we were DEAD even man! That was crazy. I let off at 130ish cuz i do not trust my snow tires for a second. But i think if i didnt let off you would have started pulling on me. Sti's have zero top end well atleast stage II STi's. We have to run again sometime, love fun runs.
wrong. I was more focused on the road and driving. I didnt have a free hand after I beeped the horn. gotta love all the short gears in an sti! That was a fun day!

wtf? are you the same dude from nasioc that stole my name lol

couple things about the sti... like guy said above me... the gearing in the 06 is very short... you hit 5th gear at 90mph. on the second run you can see the sti is noticeably slower. His top mount intercooler is probably heatsoaked and it pulled a hair of timing.

btw... all4BE ...what rpms are you shifting at? try shifting at 6500 if you arent already... and use your water sprayer!!!!! One last thing, switch to an external wastegate. car hold boost much better and does not creep like stock

my sti would eat that cobalt... but all bs aside. I have to give him credit for having a pretty decent ride
Old 03-10-2010, 08:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WSsick

forgot to ask, do those new cobalts have the "no lift shift" thing? someone told me they did...
Yes they do, they also have launch control.

Nice runs man, I have definitely made my decision for a fun lil DD in the next year or so.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:10 PM
Teching In

yes shift with the gas down and it holds boost if u do it quick enough.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by all4bspinnin

couple things about the sti... like guy said above me... the gearing in the 06 is very short... you hit 5th gear at 90mph. on the second run you can see the sti is noticeably slower. His top mount intercooler is probably heatsoaked and it pulled a hair of timing.

btw... all4BE ...what rpms are you shifting at? try shifting at 6500 if you arent already... and use your water sprayer!!!!! One last thing, switch to an external wastegate. car hold boost much better and does not creep like stock

my sti would eat that cobalt... but all bs aside. I have to give him credit for having a pretty decent ride
There's about 4-5 all4bspinnins on nasioc.

Are you dave from florida? Had the built Integra with a 35R.

------
Still trying to figure out which year the sti is. Video says 06, thread description says 07.
07's had the vf43 and revised gear ratios.

+1 for the turbo cobalts. Very underestimated yet pack a punch!
Old 03-10-2010, 09:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by all4bspinnin

Haha this the first time I have ever seen same screen name as me! My future set up is blouch 20g meth FMIC and EWG but I need money first. My shift like is set at 6200 but ill try 6500 see if it makes a difference. I totally for got about the water sprayer don't use it to much in the winter lol. And for the person that asked the year it is an 06 VF39 hello wastegate crack.

But I had fun that cobalt is an awesome car hands down!
Old 03-10-2010, 10:27 PM
Teching In

Sti's have zero top end well atleast stage II STi's. We have to run again sometime, love fun runs.
WTF is a "Stage II STi"??

Old 03-10-2010, 10:28 PM
Teching In

It had headers, catback, intake, and a stock GTX pulley (3.5''). I found out the next day it had a spun rod bearing, not really sure if that made it slower or not but the new motor is going in on Saturday. If you guys are out cruising on Sunday I'm sure I'll be game to meet up.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Good races. That second run with the STi was an awesome race, you guys were just pulling the equal amounts....dead even races are the ****.

And as for the mustang guy, holy hell that shifter lol. That must be like a pool cue in a bucket of pebbles .