Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

S.W TT Gallardo vs LMR TT C6 vs LMR TT SS vs Nitrous ZX14

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 11:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1992TsiAWD
That's exactly why I love AWD...

It's awesome being able to cut 1.6 60fts on AND off the track, using my DD all-season tires.

Your engine sounds like it's badass...how does the convertible chassis handle the torque?
No problems there... actually, my first "fast" car was a 1992 GSX. LOVED THAT CAR!!! Had a 20g turbo and few other home-built plumbing mods. Got into a crash and that was the end of that car but I really see myself finding another and going BIG with it! (T70, built 2.0L, buschur trans,)

The chassis is doing ok.... it has a 10pt cage plus the SFC that really help out stiffening up the chassis.

1.6's AND NO BURN OUT!! I know what you mean!!!
Old 03-29-2010, 04:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Puck
Don't group me with the clueless bike crew and assume I do not know what I am talking about. I am a die hard car guy and am on my 3rd f-body build with more in mods then I spent on my bike new...which is kind of the point I am making.

If you are familiar with the FL bike scene, then you of all people should know the number of clueless noobs who can't ride for **** there are down here. The ones flying down I4 in a t-shirt and shorts, cutting people off on their gixxer 600s, but those same people end up on a track and run high 11s cuz they cant pick a gear, launch, or shift worth a damn. Those are where the stories of bolt-on grocery getters waxing crotch rockets come from.

It took over 10 grand of just engine mods to make my car competitive all motor. Granted, I started with an inferior platform that takes a bit more tweaking to run numbers then the newer ****, but everyone here will agree going fast costs big bucks. I bought a ~$8500 bike and put a grand into it and it runs right with my expected times(mid-10s NA). This is with simple mods and streetability as a concern...it is my primary transportation and saw over 10,00 miles last year - no crazy gearing, lowering straps, or stretched swingarms.

Kinda blows the whole "bang for buck" thing clean out the window, huh? I could spend under 10 grand total investment on a bike AND mods, and run bottom 9's on motor...and still ride it every day. Hell, a local ran 9's all motor on a STOCK ENGINE 07 zx6! How much does it cost to run single digits in a car? Now, how many have done it with stock engines? Hell, how much did your twin hairdryer setup cost, and what does it run? Not the engine, suspension, or supporting mods - just the TT setup.

I prefer cars, and they are my first loves, but there is no denying that in the right hands bikes are Kings of the Street, even if Joe Blow Highschooler who had his bike for 6 months may not be able to hang.

If you don't agree then you are just trying to justify the money spent on your hobby to yourself. I have already accepted that it is an expensive habit with minimal return on investment, and am not ashamed to admit when someone has a better platform that may technically be a "smarter" choice to spend money...whether it is a different or newer car, an exotic, or a bike.

Don't group you? Bitch you jumped in my ****,...assuming I don't know what the **** I am talking about. I merely responded to you on your comment directed towards me...

..as far as dollar per horsepower...dude...I wrote the book on that ****. It's called "Baller on a budget"... for example...I trade ALMOST ALL OF MY PARTS,...for labor. Yup. Motors, coilovers,..turbo kits... yup... so,.. whats the actual dollar figure in my vette? All fruits of labor baby. Other parts, I acquire used...or they are given to me. My case, is rare,...very rare. So I wouldn't expect you or anyone to have the view that I have of what it costs to go fast,..real fast. I also am in the industry, and I also have some sponsors, I get some great parts hookups,..so when I actually do have to come up with cash...dollar out of pocket isn't as much as,..the average Joe would have to pay.

So,..yes,..box stock, bikes are the **** in most case's...but I don't think inside the box.

Do some research of standing mile cars...what they're speeds are...and do some research of standing mile bikes,..and see what they're speeds are. Only a large handful of bikes are over 200mph....plenty of cars,...all kinds,..are over the 2xx mark...all kinds,..all power levels,..all makes, models, front drive, rear drive,..awd...whatever.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:03 PM
TECH Addict

oops! (Trmin8r FTW!) Car has a 370ci, Pt88, th400 @ 800rwhp Car traps right around 146mph. As a side note, a Z06 traps like that with less!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEt_UbNVfrw

At the strip, that was a turbo ZX-14. I will say that maybe that **** was off but that last street race was enlightening, I hope! Bikes are awesome, but not untouchable... especially those 1300's!

Last edited by obZidian; 03-29-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

exactly.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
Don't group you? Bitch you jumped in my ****,...assuming I don't know what the **** I am talking about. I merely responded to you on your comment directed towards me...

..as far as dollar per horsepower...dude...I wrote the book on that ****. It's called "Baller on a budget"... for example...I trade ALMOST ALL OF MY PARTS,...for labor. Yup. Motors, coilovers,..turbo kits... yup... so,.. whats the actual dollar figure in my vette? All fruits of labor baby. Other parts, I acquire used...or they are given to me. My case, is rare,...very rare. So I wouldn't expect you or anyone to have the view that I have of what it costs to go fast,..real fast. I also am in the industry, and I also have some sponsors, I get some great parts hookups,..so when I actually do have to come up with cash...dollar out of pocket isn't as much as,..the average Joe would have to pay.

So,..yes,..box stock, bikes are the **** in most case's...but I don't think inside the box.

Do some research of standing mile cars...what they're speeds are...and do some research of standing mile bikes,..and see what they're speeds are. Only a large handful of bikes are over 200mph....plenty of cars,...all kinds,..are over the 2xx mark...all kinds,..all power levels,..all makes, models, front drive, rear drive,..awd...whatever.
Reading comprehension is crucial. I never made one comment directed to you. Sorry to **** in your cherrios but all I said was the FACT that a large majority of riders in florida can't ride for ****. True story.

I'm sorry I didn't get the email that this site changed to StandingMileTech.com.

I don't give 2 ***** about 200mph and top speeds unless you trap it in the 1/4 .
Old 03-29-2010, 08:47 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by obZidian
oops! (Trmin8r FTW!) Car has a 370ci, Pt88, th400 @ 800rwhp Car traps right around 146mph. As a side note, a Z06 traps like that with less!

At the strip, that was a turbo ZX-14. I will say that maybe that **** was off but that last street race was enlightening, I hope! Bikes are awesome, but not untouchable... especially those 1300's!
I trapped 144 that pass, but ran out of gear around 400ft before the end. I figure with a gear change, I should trap between 152 and 155.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when you have a chute on your vehicle... you arent much of a street car.

also that race seemed to not really wind out to far. if you are running a turbo bike why not go up to some real speeds.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:07 AM
On The Tree

Not much of a street car with a chute? LOL

Street car is such a lose term nowadays but track rules and slowing down a car at that speed with the runout given > wrecking/dying
Old 03-30-2010, 02:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
Lol... first things first, i've ridden motorcycles my entire life. Owned three, had two sponsors, ridden with some of the craziest street crews ever(miamiwarriors for example), I know a good rider when I see one. As far as your personal example, well congratulations dude on your personal conquest. I've been doing similar things in peoples vehicles my whole life(going quicker then the owners of they're own vehicles-cars-bikes in as little as a pass or two)-big deal.

My point is,..they're is ALOT of heavy hitting cars down in south florida. Hell, bikes too. Everything is turbo....everything. Theres races that go down here ALL THE TIME.... people don't always post about them. I spend alot of time at standing mile events, and the results of them,..all over the place. Not too many 200++ mph bikes out there, are there?

Bikes,...i'll say it again,...are cool,...but, they are no longer the speed kings. Not when were talking about BIG HP cars. If you have never been in a HIGH hp car...and I mean nearing or above four digits,... then you have no idea what the **** I am talking about. You'd be like every other street bike rider that I have walked up to and called out. You all act like your ****'s soo fast.... like your soo ******* quick,..that there is NOWAY a car could beat you guys...lmao. Your all the same. Then I warp off in another demension, leaving you and most of your buds by buslengths.... and your like....WTF?! HTF?!....

Then you understand. Then you won't think so highly of your motorcycles.

note: Look, the majority of dudes, in HIGH HP cars,...can't drive for ****. Ever notice this? So,.. get a great driver, and a great rider,... and the car, as long as it is well thought out,.. should win everytime.
Youre right, south fl. cars aint no joke.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by A3VETTE

Street car is such a lose term nowadays but track rules and slowing down a car at that speed with the runout given > wrecking/dying
when you are on a drag strip you can run baby brakes and use anything else to help bring you to stop from speed. not judging the car in the vid, and it may be able to stomp on the binders and get his car to stop well.

but my point was look at the type of car it took to beat that bike, one with a chute on it. i would wager that the bike could be a daily, i wonder if the same could be said for the camaro.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:33 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by liqidvenom

also that race seemed to not really wind out to far. if you are running a turbo bike why not go up to some real speeds.
Well my car gets driven 10x more on the street than the track. The reason the chute is on the car is our track is extremely strict on rules. And the shutdown at LMP isn't very long either, I used ALL of the brakes on that pass.

And what exactly is "real speed'? Looks to me like I had the bike covered just fine, and like I said, my car ran out of gear. It's still not all the way sorted out, that was the first pass on the track on anything above 13psi.

Tell me, since my car isn't a street car, what would you do if I pulled up next to you on the street? What would you say? "Hey man that's not a street car, I don't wanna race"?

And yes, my car can be a daily.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:45 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Puck
Reading comprehension is crucial. I never made one comment directed to you. Sorry to **** in your cherrios but all I said was the FACT that a large majority of riders in florida can't ride for ****. True story.

I'm sorry I didn't get the email that this site changed to StandingMileTech.com.

I don't give 2 ***** about 200mph and top speeds unless you trap it in the 1/4 .
Your back pedaling.

Originally Posted by TRMIN8R
I trapped 144 that pass, but ran out of gear around 400ft before the end. I figure with a gear change, I should trap between 152 and 155.
Right, there is no doubt that car should be in the 150mph range. What gear are you looking at running? 3.23? 3.07?

A chute doesn't make a car an automatic racecar, and what to you might be a racecar can be a street DD to another... but a chute isn't that big of a deal. A 25.5 cage, yeah. Manual rack, yeah maybe. Race fuel, eeh... know what I mean?

Right, the term streetcar is used loosely but these turbo LS1 cars are truly a streetcar in many ways. They have enough motor to get where they want to get with pump gas and relatively low boost levels. A standard motor build with a single turbo is simple to take as a DD.

Tell me about it!

Youre right, south fl. cars aint no joke.
Yeup!
Old 03-30-2010, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well my car gets driven 10x more on the street than the track. The reason the chute is on the car is our track is extremely strict on rules. And the shutdown at LMP isn't very long either, I used ALL of the brakes on that pass.

And what exactly is "real speed'? Looks to me like I had the bike covered just fine, and like I said, my car ran out of gear. It's still not all the way sorted out, that was the first pass on the track on anything above 13psi.

Tell me, since my car isn't a street car, what would you do if I pulled up next to you on the street? What would you say? "Hey man that's not a street car, I don't wanna race"?

And yes, my car can be a daily.
i wasnt knocking your car in any means. i just pointed out the type of car it takes to pull on a bike. people seem to think its some easy task.

if you had the road and space to do it some people tend to run a bike to some nutty speeds, 160. 170. 180. or what not. some people would say that maybe the bike might have caught up or something. once again if you had the room to do so.

you could pull up to me all you wish, i could use my headlights to light up the road for you. wouldnt be much of a race though.

but to clear up the "street car" thing. in my book if your car cant be used as a daily if need be, doesnt run on readily available fuel, cant idle in traffic, runs no rear brakes, lexan windows, only one seat,etc..... nothing wrong with having a track setup on a vehicle, but its hard to claim its a street car when it isnt used much on the street. ( that wasnt about your car TRMIN8R, just in general)
Old 03-30-2010, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

A chute doesn't make a car an automatic racecar, and what to you might be a racecar can be a street DD to another... but a chute isn't that big of a deal. A 25.5 cage, yeah. Manual rack, yeah maybe. Race fuel, eeh... know what I mean?

Right, the term streetcar is used loosely but these turbo LS1 cars are truly a streetcar in many ways. They have enough motor to get where they want to get with pump gas and relatively low boost levels. A standard motor build with a single turbo is simple to take as a DD.

Tell me about it!

Yeup!
I know a chute doesnt make him anything other then a guy with a chute on his car. but some people would watch the video and say " hey look it took a drag car to beat on the bike". I'm just pointing out that while it isnt easy to beat a well ridden bike in a race, it can be done... just that the vehicle in that vid at first glance gives off a non street car vibe with the chute.

is that more cleared up for everyone?

on your second point there you are correct. with todays software and tunes it is possible to be able to build a sick car which can be driven in any situation.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:38 AM
TECH Addict

True... for example, my car was built to be a streetcar. No weight reduction, no cutting/hacking the car to bits. Full interior, full sound with 2 12's in a rear seat delete box, A/C! NAV, and the motor has a smaller cam in it now. I can DD this car unless it rains, the windows leak!

But, being a vert and me wanting to race it, I needed certain items to make it tech legal. The chassis is certified and the chute was a necessity which means I also had to install a 10pt. cage. It's nothing to crazy but it does take away from the easy of getting in and out of the car.

But,it's a streetcar with some attitude!
Old 03-30-2010, 10:44 AM
On The Tree

i wasnt knocking your car in any means. i just pointed out the type of car it takes to pull on a bike. people seem to think its some easy task.

if you had the road and space to do it some people tend to run a bike to some nutty speeds, 160. 170. 180. or what not. some people would say that maybe the bike might have caught up or something. once again if you had the room to do so.

you could pull up to me all you wish, i could use my headlights to light up the road for you. wouldnt be much of a race though.
Its not easy but its not as hard as you think.

Just for SnG's, what would you say or do (i.e race) if you pulled up to a car like this? (my car btw)

Theres no chute. Theres no cage in it. Full weight, ac/ etc.
I daily drive it around as you see here on pump gas, races on pump gas and it sounds almost like stock

But it can go toe to toe with a liter bike (stock and modded)
Old 03-30-2010, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Its not easy but its not as hard as you think.

Just for SnG's, what would you say or do (i.e race) if you pulled up to a car like this? (my car btw)

Theres no chute. Theres no cage in it. Full weight, ac/ etc.
I daily drive it around as you see here on pump gas, races on pump gas and it sounds almost like stock

But it can go toe to toe with a liter bike (stock and modded)
i wouldnt say anything negative about it. you have a fast street car.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:08 AM
9 Second Club

I see what you're saying. My car idles fine, has all brakes(stock lol), full interior, and runs just fine on pump gas. But to pull a liter bike is no easy task, those ******* are fast straight off the showroom floor.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:24 AM
TECH Addict

I see what you're saying. My car idles fine, has all brakes(stock lol), full interior, and runs just fine on pump gas. But to pull a liter bike is no easy task, those ******* are fast straight off the showroom floor.
They better be!
Old 03-30-2010, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Terminator, are you running those times in ABQ? If so, how much faster do you thing your car will be in some better air?

Quick Reply: S.W TT Gallardo vs LMR TT C6 vs LMR TT SS vs Nitrous ZX14