Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

98Z28 vs Turbo Eclipse

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 01:59 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98Z28 vs Turbo Eclipse

So yesterday i was driving my camaro through Exton with my gf shotgun, and i pass this older purple eclipse (1995-1999). As i pass i notice a gauge cluster near the drivers side window, so i look in my rearview mirror after i pass and see a HUGE intercooler, so i conclude it has a turbo. A few minutes after i pass i look back again and see the eclipse darting through traffic and hang back 2 cars in the lane to my left. All of a sudeen i see the passenger window roll down, and a latin guy stick half his body out yelling something to me. So, i roll down my window and listen..."YOU WANT SOME TURBOOOO?!" My gf and I start cracking up, so i rev and redline with my LM1 catback, and he climbs back in the car haha. So i start picking it up a bit after the light, and the eclipse stays with me a car or two back (he must have had a huge turbo...i heard his turbo ever time he shifted, and he was always back a few cars in heavy traffic). I followed 113 onto Paoli Pike, where there was minimum traffic, and slowed down to about 45 in third gear, letting the few cars in front of me get about a half mile ahead. The ricers by me, then slows down, but always kept about 1/4 of a car in front of me. wth, so i beep three times, and he gets a bit of jump (should have started in second, and i imagine his turbo gave him a boost) to about half a car between my front and his back. His lead stopped in seconds, and i started pulling on him. At this point he shifts, and my gf says she saw some smoke blow out of his exhaust when he shifts...??? I shift into fourth a little over 6k, and pass him, putting about a car and half on him before shutting down around 115 (estimate, i didn't look). The two lanes are merging so i slow to 65 behind four cars, and low and behold...the eclipse rockets by me and all four cars in the disappearing lane. My second street race in about four years of driving the camaro...not too bad imo.

My Mods-Whisper Lid, Smooth Bellows, 85mm MAF, Koni Single Adjustable Front Shocks, Bilstein Rear Shocks, Thicker Front and Rear Sway Bars, B&M Short Shifter, Centerforce Stage 2 Clutch, Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel, Loud Mouth 1 Cat-Back, Firehawk Wide-Oval Street Tires.

1995-1999 Eclipse- As far as i know...manual transmission and turbocharger.

98Z28M6 = 2 Wins, 0 Losses
Old 03-29-2010, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice. It's funny when guys that talk smack get their *** handed to them
Old 03-29-2010, 02:53 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Always feels good to put the smack down on imports. Especially a turbo'ed one. Good kill
Old 03-29-2010, 08:21 PM
Launching!

thanks guys, i only wish i hadn't started out in 3rd like a newb and let him have the jump...grrr
Old 03-29-2010, 08:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 114 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by 98z28CamaroJG
thanks guys, i only wish i hadn't started out in 3rd like a newb and let him have the jump...grrr
Its more fun letting them have the jump (bringing there hopes up nice and high) then dashing those hopes to pieces as you roll pass them at 90-110 mph with a big ol' grin on your face as you take their souls an stomp on them countless times making them feel inferrior to your wrath that is a camaro.

Good kill BTW.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Finkledbody
Its more fun letting them have the jump (bringing there hopes up nice and high) then dashing those hopes to pieces as you roll pass them at 90-110 mph with a big ol' grin on your face as you take their souls an stomp on them countless times making them feel inferrior to your wrath that is a camaro.

Good kill BTW.
that made my day! So true!
Old 03-30-2010, 01:29 AM
Teching In

That kid sounded like a dumbass.

He was probably running a ghetto-rigged setup, untuned...hence the smoke.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:01 AM
Launching!

I wouldn't be surprised, although the driver never said a word or gave me a funny look, it was just the passenger
Old 03-30-2010, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

good kill, my brother has a turboed 420a that would run with my lt1. runs pretty rich and trapped 103 but he has a fmu he plans to install after his clutch gets here so we'll see how it does against the ls1.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:50 PM
TECH Regular

Sounds like another cob-job, poorly tuned 2g.
Nice kill.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:24 PM

Haha, it's all good since you were still able to pull him. If the car had been fast and he'd walked out then you would really be kicking yourself! Good kill!

I remember right after I got my Z28 (first stick car I'de ever driven), my buddy and I were cruising and got next to a chick in an older turbo Eclipse. We pulled out from a light and both hit it in 1st gear. I was just starting to pull away and then I missed second horribly, grinding and pretty much sounding like I was trying to murder my transmission, lol. I let right out of it and she kept in it, taking the win. When we got next to her I asked my buddy if she was looking and he was like, "I'm not looking at her after that." I quickly bitched out and turned off the main road shortly after, haha. Made for a funny story at least!
Old 03-31-2010, 09:53 AM
Launching!

hahaha nice! Idk what i'd do in that position lol
Old 03-31-2010, 06:11 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
I remember right after I got my Z28 (first stick car I'de ever driven), my buddy and I were cruising and got next to a chick in an older turbo Eclipse. We pulled out from a light and both hit it in 1st gear. I was just starting to pull away and then I missed second horribly, grinding and pretty much sounding like I was trying to murder my transmission, lol. I let right out of it and she kept in it, taking the win. When we got next to her I asked my buddy if she was looking and he was like, "I'm not looking at her after that." I quickly bitched out and turned off the main road shortly after, haha. Made for a funny story at least!
The best part about situations like this is you never EVER let them happen again....one time I raced a LS1 T/A and put my A4 in 1st. I forgot to bump it up to 2nd and it hit the redline twice before i finally slammed it in to drive. I ended up winning by a fender somehow
Old 03-31-2010, 09:49 PM

Haha, yeah I've done that with the G8. I downshift it by hand and then once I punch it I click it over into drive and let it shift itself. A couple times I have forgotten to click it over until the car hit the limiter and the car in the next lane was running away from me like I had two wooden legs. **** happens, the only thing you can do is laugh about it!
Old 03-31-2010, 11:55 PM
Launching!

I do hate making stupid mistakes though haha
Old 04-01-2010, 12:38 PM
Teching In

We have a purple vert 95-99 around my area *eastern pa* too the only thing is, is its putting down well over 600awhp lol but it looks stock except for the same things you stated big front mount an gauge cluster.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:11 AM
Launching!

I can't remember if the eclipse i raced was a vert or not, i'm leaning towards no. He didn't have a fart-can, which i find rare to see on an import. Driver was white, kinda skinny looking, facial hair (light chinstrap beard), short hair. Thats the only other ino i can remember. It couldn't have been the same guy though haha, i would have been eatin alive.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:20 AM
Teching In

I can't remember if the eclipse i raced was a vert or not, i'm leaning towards no. He didn't have a fart-can, which i find rare to see on an import. Driver was white, kinda skinny looking, facial hair (light chinstrap beard), short hair. Thats the only other ino i can remember. It couldn't have been the same guy though haha, i would have been eatin alive.
Yeah i asked him it wasnt him he said he doesnt let other people in his car lol.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:11 AM
Launching!

Smart decision on his choice. I wouldn't want a mexican guy screaming ricer **** halfway out of my window either haha
Old 04-06-2010, 06:51 AM
On The Tree

I can tell you, from experience, the smoke was probably not caused by a bad tune, but turbo blow-by (see it all the time at Etown and Island). Just a little oil getting around to the exhaust side on the turbo, no big deal really, and quite common. Either way, nice kill, and those 'clipses can be DARN fast.