Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

99 ls1 stock vs mach 1 exhaust and ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 12:58 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 ls1 stock vs mach 1 exhaust and ?

Ok well I was going down mainstreet and a mack 1 somewhere 2000-2004 went by and turns around and passes me going out of town. He get ahead of me and stomps it. I stomp it about a second after he does and I start gaining on him pretty good and we get up to about 120 and both hit the brakes for the corner ahead. At the stop sign after the corner he turns left and punches it and I do the same, we both start spinning sideways and all the sudden I see the mustang slam on its breaks. up in the next couple 100 ft there is a cop, we pass by and im thinking F****. Anyway the cop gets up on my A$$ and I see the mustang ahead turn left really quickly. I knew right than I was off the hook because now he looks like the guilty one. Well the cop went left and followed the stang and I kept on going straight . So what is faster stock for stock a 98-02 ls1 camaro or a 2000-2004 mach 1?
Old 04-02-2010, 01:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ls1 baby! i always eat up one of my buddies on his mach1 we are both stock with just K&N
Old 04-02-2010, 01:16 AM
On The Tree

Sorry bro, stock vs. stock you wouldn't have started just "gaining" on him if he was devoted to it. I have had an '04 Mach and an '04 Terminator and have been around and ran enough LS1 cars that I'm fairly familiar with performance output. Stock Mach vs. Stock+catback WS6. Out of every race that my buddy and I pulled, all the way to 140 it was basically neck and neck. If there was a "winner" it was only by a fender and it usually depended on the one that got the better shift. Now once you start the modding game, it starts getting ugly. The LS1 will dominate with nothing more than a cut-out and intake. It got seriously bad from a 40 roll for my mach, I'm talking 2+cars from the jump.

So back to a short answer, stock to stock, very close. Mods: definately lean toward the LS1's favor.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stock for stock it is a drivers race with the advantage towards the ls1.. Higher the race goes the more the ls1 will pull ahead.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:34 AM
Restricted User

Nice I have the lid and magnaflow catback now. Gettin tires, cutout, and tune next so hopefully after that I can go back up there and find him. I really just wanted to race to see the outcome.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by z99ls1
Nice I have the lid and magnaflow catback now. Gettin tires, cutout, and tune next so hopefully after that I can go back up there and find him. I really just wanted to race to see the outcome.
I would get a converter before you wasted money on all that other stuff. Convert is THE first mod that should be done to an A4.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:44 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by z99ls1
Believe me if you get a cut-out a full intake, headers and proper tune, your car will be a friggen monster! Then the only thing you will have to worry about will be traction.

Just to give you an idea, same TA in said races with just headers, true duals and an intake on street tires with no tune, went a consistent 88+mph in the 1/8. So yes you will embarrass a stock or moderately stock Mach with those mods. Assuming you have the driver mod of course. lol.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:46 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lemons12
I would get a converter before you wasted money on all that other stuff. Convert is THE first mod that should be done to an A4.
I didn't realize that it was an A4 car. Well subtract a couple MPH from what I just said and expect to be a very deep 8 sec 1/8 : 12.3 sec 1/4 car.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by white ghost
Sorry bro, stock vs. stock you wouldn't have started just "gaining" on him if he was devoted to it. I have had an '04 Mach and an '04 Terminator and have been around and ran enough LS1 cars that I'm fairly familiar with performance output. Stock Mach vs. Stock+catback WS6. Out of every race that my buddy and I pulled, all the way to 140 it was basically neck and neck. If there was a "winner" it was only by a fender and it usually depended on the one that got the better shift. Now once you start the modding game, it starts getting ugly. The LS1 will dominate with nothing more than a cut-out and intake. It got seriously bad from a 40 roll for my mach, I'm talking 2+cars from the jump.

So back to a short answer, stock to stock, very close. Mods: definately lean toward the LS1's favor.

what type of ls1 was it? if it was an A4 then maybe. M6 is a little faster
Old 04-02-2010, 05:11 AM
TECH Regular

What this guy said.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:45 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mannyman84
Actually my experience has been that it takes an M6 to come close to a M5 Mach. I have personally handed that *** to many, many, many stock A4 LS1's when I was rocking the Mach. People don't give credit where credit is due. The Mach maybe be down by 25-30 hp but with the factory 3.55 gears and transmission gearing, it would take an M6 LS1 a 4.10 rear gear conversion to reach the same mechanical advantage as a stock Mach. Believe me with a good driver and decent tires a Mach will absolutly blister that *** for a stock "305/310 horse" car.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:56 AM
Launching!

what is the difference in a Mach 1's and the 4v Cobra's (99-02)??
Old 04-02-2010, 09:44 AM

I would make the argument that a set of drag radials should be done with or right before a converter. Although it would be interesting to see two stock A4's (one with a converter on the stock tires and one with drag radials with the stock converter) run each other.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:54 AM
On The Tree

IDK... I've raced a few m5 Mach's with minor bolt ons and beat them preety good with the a4. A strong running ls1 and taken care of should have the upperhand.

Mach 1 respond well to mods just like the ls1. With little exhaust work 4.10 or 4.30 and sticky tires, watch the he'll out especially from a dig.. Got my *** handed to me..lol

Sorry to change the subject but I know there is some ford enthusiast here. Just bought a 1963 fairlane with 347 stroker and powerdyne supercharger on 8 psi. What should it be making? Again sorry to high Jack the post.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:06 AM
Staging Lane

To the OP, I've owned several LS1's including the two in my stable now and owned an '03 Mach 1 from 2003-2004.

Stock for Stock the Mach 1 M5 sits nice and comfortably in between the LS1 A4 & M6 from a performance stand point. In otherwords, it's quicker stock for stock than an A4 LS1 but a tad slower than an M6. Keep in mind were talking equal drivers. Heck with one bad driver any race can be a drivers race if you ask me. But yes, the M6 LS1 cars typically put down 20-30rwhp more than a Mach in stock trim and weigh only a mere 70lbs more approx. Mach's are geared better from the factory so don't be suprised if one pulls you everytime to 60 which was pretty much the case everytime I would run my buddies stock '01 WS6 M6 formy in my stock '03 Mach, but after that it was lights out for me every single time. And from a roll it was only worse. Just my .02.

Last edited by BLWNV10; 04-02-2010 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mannyman84
Yea, those a4s are dogs.
Actually my experience has been that it takes an M6 to come close to a M5 Mach. I have personally handed that *** to many, many, many stock A4 LS1's when I was rocking the Mach. People don't give credit where credit is due. The Mach maybe be down by 25-30 hp but with the factory 3.55 gears and transmission gearing, it would take an M6 LS1 a 4.10 rear gear conversion to reach the same mechanical advantage as a stock Mach. Believe me with a good driver and decent tires a Mach will absolutly blister that *** for a stock "305/310 horse" car.
I have seen quite a few machs race and I have never seen one beat a stock ls1, even the dog autos.
Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
I would make the argument that a set of drag radials should be done with or right before a converter. Although it would be interesting to see two stock A4's (one with a converter on the stock tires and one with drag radials with the stock converter) run each other.
On the street traction wins.. The drag radial car would get the win. On the track, if prepped correctly, the stalled car I would imagine would pull ahead.
Originally Posted by BLWNV10
To the OP, I've owned several LS1's including the two in my stable now and owned an '03 Mach 1 from 2003-2004.

Stock for Stock the Mach 1 M5 sits nice and comfortably in between the LS1 A4 & M6 from a performance stand point. In otherwords, it's quicker stock for stock than an A4 LS1 but a tad slower than an M6. Keep in mind were talking equal drivers. Heck with one bad driver any race can be a drivers race if you ask me. But yes, the M6 LS1 cars typically put down 20-30rwhp more than a Mach in stock trim and weigh only a mere 70lbs more approx. Mach's are geared better from the factory so don't be suprised if one pulls you everytime to 60 which was pretty much the case everytime I would run my buddies stock '01 WS6 M6 formy in my stock '03 Mach, but after that it was lights out for me every single time. And from a roll it was only worse. Just my .02.
I have never seen a stock mach beat a stock ls1.

LOL to you people talking about the a4/m6 ls1 thing. I raced MANY 6 speed ls1s when my A4 was stock, never got beat, not once. You can't say that 7+ people were all bad drivers either. Some even had a few very small mods. Stock for stock, it is whichever car is stronger, period. When the modding begins (until a converter is added to the A4), the M6 has the advantage. Once a converter is added the M6 is at a disadvantage, except from a roll but that is irrelevant.

Stock for stock, A4=M6.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:12 PM
Teching In

Sorry buy i gotta get in on this

I have a 03 mach with minor bolt ons. Exhaust, can tune, intake

and i have beaten more ls1's than i have lost to. the only loss being against a z28 auto with a stall (not sure of what rpm) headers, full exhaust full bolt ons and drag radials. while i had street tires and a bad second gear synchro (had to granny shift into 2nd)

and it wasnt even that bad of a beating maybe 1 car maybe.

Bolt on machs are good for low 13's and high 12's same as your ls1's. Dont get too cocky. It is mostly a drivers race....
Old 04-02-2010, 12:26 PM
TECH Addict

LOL to you people talking about the a4/m6 ls1 thing. I raced MANY 6 speed ls1s when my A4 was stock, never got beat, not once. You can't say that 7+ people were all bad drivers either. Some even had a few very small mods. Stock for stock, it is whichever car is stronger, period. When the modding begins (until a converter is added to the A4), the M6 has the advantage. Once a converter is added the M6 is at a disadvantage, except from a roll but that is irrelevant.

Stock for stock, A4=M6.
I've seen different as well as most on this site. From a dig the A4 has the advantage, from a roll the M6, that's just the way it is son

Originally Posted by pho_phizzat

and i have beaten more ls1's than i have lost to. the only loss being against a z28 auto with a stall (not sure of what rpm) headers, full exhaust full bolt ons and drag radials. while i had street tires and a bad second gear synchro (had to granny shift into 2nd)

Bolt on machs are good for low 13's and high 12's same as your ls1's. Dont get too cocky. It is mostly a drivers race....
Yeah some of these guy's are not aware of what a mach is capable of from a dig. They are down right sick from a dig with gears/tires. Here's my buddy's old mach.

Mods:
FR500 cams
Stock heads
430's
Full exhaust/cai/sct tune
Drag Radials

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=51263505
Old 04-02-2010, 02:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by pho_phizzat

Awesome story bro...

An ls1 with full exhaust/full bolt ons/drag radials and a converter is a SOLID low 12 car with just about any combination/conditions. A lot of them will hit high 11s. Mach 1s are no slouches, but an exhaust/intake/tuned mach is going to be destroyed by any decent full bolt on stalled auto with drag radials. Hell even if he didn't have a converter just the sticky tires would have put him well into the lead, much more than car.

Stock for stock it is a drivers race with the advantage going to the ls1. For every mod added the mach falls farther and farther behind. It has less cubes, no reason why it shouldn't.

Originally Posted by chavez885
I've seen different as well as most on this site. From a dig the A4 has the advantage, from a roll the M6, that's just the way it is son
I wasn't talking about ricer racing, I was talking real, aka dig, racing.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Chadlee2KZ
what is the difference in a Mach 1's and the 4v Cobra's (99-02)??
Difference I believe is a bit different cam profile that gives the Mach's a little more grunt on the low end and better mid range power, the Cobras do tend to pull slightly better up high though.

I used to own a 97 Cobra with bolt ons and would still get walked by a stock Mach low and midrange and would pull a bit up high.

To the OP: SN95 style Mach 1's were only made in 03-04.

Quick Reply: 99 ls1 stock vs mach 1 exhaust and ?