Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

First loss on the spray: 396 LT1 vette

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default First loss on the spray: 396 LT1 vette

Few of us at a cruise night hanging out and a loud black LT1 vette kept cruising by. Once the cruise ended, my buddy and I were cruising in my Z28 and decided to go out and try to scare up a race. While cruising I saw the vette and we spun around and caught up to it. It was a black 1994 vette with skinnies and MT streets out back. Looked very mean.

We got next to the guy and asked him what was in it and he said it was a 396 with an auto. He punched it a couple times and it definitely moved out. He followed us up on to the highway and I asked my buddy if I should run him on motor and he says, "I'd spray the **** out of him, that thing moves out!"

We got up onto the highway and lined up going about 40 mph. I had the bottle all warmed up with the 100 jets. I was gonna try to honk it off, but once he heard me downshift he hit it and I followed suit. As soon as I hit it the tires went up in smoke. I short shifted third and as soon as I got it into gear the tires blew off again and the car actually walked into the far right lane (I had been in the center and he was in the left). At that point I short shifted 4th so I wouldn't keep going sideways. Once into 4th I caught traction and started creeping back on him, but we let off at the top of 4th and he was still a good 2 cars in front.

He blew something during the race and the car kept popping and stalled out. He ended up having to get towed out. We hung around offered him a ride, but he was all set and had a tow truck on the way.

He was a cool guy and said it was a 1994 with a solid roller 396 and a 4L60E trans. He said he built the motor himself. The car had an NOS sticker on the window and he said it use to have nitrous, but he blew his motor and took it out. My buddy looked the engine compartement over pretty well and couldn't find any signs of a nitrous kit, so he either has a badass NA setup or a very well hidden kit on the car. Either way it was a sick LT1 and it's nice to see that some people still know how to go ***** to the wall with the underdog motor!

I grabbed his number and I'm gonna try to set up another race once he gets it running again. Next time I'll have the Mickey Thompson ET street radials on instead of the Nittos. i want to try and get a motor race and then an N2O race and see how I do.

Fun night and a badass vette!

Last edited by ScreaminRedZ; 04-25-2010 at 10:12 AM.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Few of us at a cruise night hanging out and a loud black LT1 vette kept cruising by. Once the cruise ended, my buddy and I were cruising in my Z28 and decided to go out and try to scare up a race. While cruising I saw the vette and we spun around and caught up to it. It was a black 1994 vette with skinnies and MT streets out back. Looked very mean.

We got next to the guy and asked him what was in it and he said it was a 396 with an auto. He punched it a couple times and it definitely moved out. He followed us up on to the highway and I asked my buddy if I should run him on motor and he says, "I'd spray the **** out of him, that thing moves out!"

We got up onto the highway and lined up going about 40 mph. I had the bottle all warmed up with the 100 jets. I was gonna try to honk it off, but once he heard me downshift he hit it and I followed suit. As soon as I hit it the tires went up in smoke. I short shifted third and as soon as I got it into gear the tires blew off again and the car actually walked into the far right lane (I had been in the center and he was in the left). At that point I short shifted 4th so I wouldn't keep going sideways. Once into 4th I caught traction and started creeping back on him, but we let off at the top of 4th and he was still a good 2 cars in front.

He blew something during the race and the car kept popping and stalled out. He ended up having to get towed out. We hung around offered him a ride, but he was all set and had a tow truck on the way.

He was a cool guy and said it was a 1994 with a solid roller 396 and a 4L60E trans. He said he built the motor himself. The car had an NOS sticker on the window and he said it use to have nitrous, but he blew his motor and took it out. My buddy looked the engine compartement over pretty well and couldn't find any signs of a nitrous kit, so he either has a badass NA setup or a very well hidden kit on the car. Either way it was a sick LT1 and it's nice to see that some people still know how to go ***** to the wall with the underdog motor!

I grabbed his number and I'm gonna try to set up another race once he gets it running again. Next time I'll have the Mickey Thompson ET street radials on instead of the Nittos. i want to try and get a motor race and then an N2O race and see how I do.

Fun night and a badass vette!
damm thats a badass LT1 cause your car on spray is a beast!

you were itchin to race something yesterday , glad you found one lol
Old 04-25-2010, 12:12 PM
TECH Regular

Sounds pretty bad ***. Too bad you couldn't get another run in.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:03 PM

Yeah, I was very impressed with the car. I'll be ready with my MT's and skinnies next time out. I'll see if I can get him to run from a dig because I have a feeling it's going to be an animal out of the hole!
Old 04-25-2010, 01:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

good death, bring the camera alogn next time too! sounds like a badass boat anchor
Old 04-25-2010, 07:46 PM

I just talked to the guy and he said his opti bolts backed out. Not sure if he meant the rotor bolt or and bolts that hold the whole unit, but he said it should be back on the road in the next couple days.

The car doen't have nitrous. He said he ran 11.3 with the stock ported heads and a smaller cam. The car now has LT4 AFR heads and a larger cam. He's definitely up for a rematch so I'll be sure to keep you guys posted.

Last edited by ScreaminRedZ; 04-26-2010 at 02:38 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ron was the vette black and the guys name was jay?? and screw those optisparks! what a nightmare of a setup! haha. hopefully the weather will be nice next weekend ! ill cruise up there with ya!
Old 04-25-2010, 08:11 PM

Yeah, it was black. The guy's name is Jeff. You know the car? I'm not sure where he's from though.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:21 PM
TECH Addict

good death!! the owner ain't on here?
oyeah -long live the opti!
Old 04-25-2010, 08:39 PM

Not that I know of. I've never seen anyone with a setup like his in a black 94 vette on here before and I hang in the LT1 section quite a bit. I'll ask if he goes on any of the forums and see if he'll post up in here next time we hang out.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Too bad your car couldnt hook I hope my set of nitto 555s are going to hook better on the spray! Are H/C +N2O?
Old 04-26-2010, 02:37 PM

Yup, heads/cam/100 shot. I was on Nitto 555 Extreme Drag radials.

I'm all ready for the rematch

Old 04-26-2010, 02:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yup, heads/cam/100 shot. I was on Nitto 555 Extreme Drag radials.

I'm all ready for the rematch

[IMG]http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu330
/ScreaminRedZ/ReadyForAction02.jpg[/IMG]
gotta love the rubber on the rear bumper
Old 04-26-2010, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd take it that it was actually the screws that hold the rotor on b/c that is a common problem.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No ron, its not the same guy i know of... looking forward to next weekend.... wish i had a set of bogarts to put on my car.... i guess thats just a phone call away!! hehehe.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't believe how fast that LT1 Vette is. The thing was freakin nasty when I ran him and now he's got a bigger cam and MUCH better heads. I knew something was up when I saw that race go down because I pulled him decently when I ran him and you were spraying on this one, plus I was on my bike.

I think this guy needs to work on a certain blue LT1 Camaro we both know of...
Old 04-28-2010, 06:04 PM

Haha, I was telling Craig to start saving for a stoker
Old 04-28-2010, 07:11 PM
Teching In

Haha, I was telling Craig to start saving for a stoker
Or an LS1 swap
Old 04-28-2010, 07:47 PM

Haha, we thought of that, but I like the idea of going fast with the underdog. Then again, it's not my money
Old 04-28-2010, 07:56 PM
Teching In

Just build a ringer and tell people it's an underdog
99% of them wouldn't know the difference anyway lol