Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

LT1 Formula vs. BMW 335i

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 10:44 PM
***Repost Police***

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, but you act like there aren't also JB tunes that use pump gas. And they are still quite potent with a few bolt-ons.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:54 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Yeah, but you act like there aren't also JB tunes that use pump gas. And they are still quite potent with a few bolt-ons.
Don't get me wrong, I like those 335i's: Like the way they look: they sound awesome for a 6 cylinder, they handle great even with 4 doors and a real backseat, and they are a proven performer that will blow the doors of a M3 with very little work.

I'd own either a 335i or a C5 Z06 instead of my GTO right now if my wife would have not thrown a huge fit over buying a car with only 2 seats, or my brother wouldn't have had never-ending repair issues with his 540i and ?330i?.

From what I saw, BMW dealers are expensive as hell, and make you feel belittled if you dare to question them or there prices on even the most basic things like oil changes or brake pad replacements, and BMW's seem to always be in the dealers shop.

Things are probably alot better now, but I prefer to let somebody else prove that theory before I step in. .... damn, now I know how all those japanese import buyers feel about buying domestic again.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
You still don't get it do you? You keep trying to move the argument to 335's when you started calling bullshit on me over a post I made regarding 535's! What are you, a damn female? I'm gonna apologize to the OP here for twisting this around to 535's, but thats what I've been called a bullshitter on.

Back on track here and stop trying to change the subject. You are calling me out on my statements that:

1. 535's stock are equivelant to stock LT1's and Mustang GT's.
The 535's 300hp and 4000lbs tell the tale: argue your way out of that paper sack.

2. That a basic JB tune on pump gas and no other mods will lose to OP's (or any other properly setup) full bolton LT1.
This one is one you: we all know that a full bolton LT1 is normally in the high 12's. Can you prove a safe 91 octane (which is most states "premium" gas) pumg gas tune can be expected to best that?

3. That your twin turbo dream engine, in fact, does die off on the top end.
Too many LS1 guys on here know that answer to have to rely on my own experiences: it's been stated over and over again that from 100mph up is where a "even race" becomes a lose for the BMW. And I'm talking about 335i's here: No one ever bothers to post a 535 kill... guess they arent worth the write up?

4. Last but not least, I'm gonna give my opinion (which I believe is shared by quite a few others) on the whole "My 335i can run 11's with just a tune and race gas" storyline.
Having to put racegas in, and a racegas tune, before running is the exact damn equivelant of us LSx guys running nitrous. No difference.

Now if us LSx guys ran around going "eww, look at me! I managed to run mid-high 11's on nitrous!" - we'd be told "Here's your sign" Jeff Foxworthy style from our peers.

Guess what? Here's YOUR sign:

Haha wow real mature. The reason I'm arguing with you is because you don't understand that the OP didn't race a 535i or 535xi, he raced a 335i. And when you cited an irrelevant story and spewed some bullshit about being slow and the JB tunes. Who cares what a 535i runs? Half the **** you keep rattling off about the N54 is so far wrong its not even funny. Hell a 335i owner himself came in here and affirmed what I'm saying...that they are strong powerplant cars but their only performance drawback is the weak open diff rear.
I hear what you're saying, but it seriously is when comparing to a turbo car: you have to buy "your fuel" seperately, get it ready before hand with the right tune, not available all the time, expensive to use, etc. etc. Nitrous guys got to fill a bottle: race gas guys got to run there tanks empty than fill up with expensive race gas. When either runs out, the game is over... except the turbo guy will blow his car if he doesnt change his tune back over. If the nitrous guy is running his fuel through the regular injectors, his car just runs overly rich when his bottle runs out.

When comparing totally different engines, you CANNOT go by the basic measuring sticks used for a N/A build and compare it similiarly to a turbo small displacement build. They love to try and make the comparison that way and usually it works: but lets turn that around:

Do a head/cam/"normal" bolton mods to a 335i and see how it then runs. WITHOUT upping the turbo psi. "wanna race now?"

There JB tuner that enables them to run race gas (and whatever minor mods also are required?) cost right around what a basic nitrous kit costs. The nitrous and race gas fillups are similiar enough in cost: whats the problem comparing them?

Would a diesel guy be right to rip all over the BMW guy for "needing race gas" since there trucks can double there hp and torque without running different fuels? That give them the right to ridicule turbo gas cars?? Apples to Oranges my friend.
All tunes aren't race gas tunes. All tunes that make respectable power don't always need race gas. Why would a 335i owner do heads and cam bolt ons to the car when from the factory the heads and the cam aren't a bottleneck. What applies to an LSx doesn't apply to the N54, contrary to your foolhardy proposal to modify a turbo car without upping the boost ever. Honestly man, you have to be the absolute thickest ************ to buy a turbo car and never touch the boost, only doing heads/cam/boltons mods to be fair the the n/a guys. That just makes no sense...think about every tuned FI car. Boltons clear the way for the air in and out, from there on its the total value of boost applied to airflow being pushed through the engine. I'm not trying to make a direct comparison between a domestic "cubic inch" n/a powerplant and a european FI "inline six" powerplant, I'm just merely trying to get you to realize, N54s and N55s are no slouch.
Don't get me wrong, I like those 335i's: Like the way they look: they sound awesome for a 6 cylinder, they handle great even with 4 doors and a real backseat, and they are a proven performer that will blow the doors of a M3 with very little work.

I'd own either a 335i or a C5 Z06 instead of my GTO right now if my wife would have not thrown a huge fit over buying a car with only 2 seats, or my brother wouldn't have had never-ending repair issues with his 540i and ?330i?.

From what I saw, BMW dealers are expensive as hell, and make you feel belittled if you dare to question them or there prices on even the most basic things like oil changes or brake pad replacements, and BMW's seem to always be in the dealers shop.

Things are probably alot better now, but I prefer to let somebody else prove that theory before I step in. .... damn, now I know how all those japanese import buyers feel about buying domestic again.
Once again, another argument out of thin air. That has to be the most blatant generalization I've ever heard. I mean sure, there's a "euro tax" on owning the car, replacements parts aren't made/need to be shipped here, and charge pretty high shop/labor rates because the majority of BMW models are just really that complicated...electronically, mechanically, and technologically.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:12 AM
Staging Lane

This is an argument best argued over a couple pitchers of beer at a bar. You at the Westlake in San Fran, or the Westlake Village in Thousand Oaks/ West LA?

I'll be in Palmdale either next week or the week after for a few days. If you are at Westlake Village, I can take my rental beater over and you can take me for a ride: or just buy me a beer and argue this over a game of pool or darts. Deal?
Old 05-10-2010, 07:18 AM
Teching In

Nitrous guys got to fill a bottle: race gas guys got to run there tanks empty than fill up with expensive race gas. When either runs out, the game is over... except the turbo guy will blow his car if he doesnt change his tune back over. If the nitrous guy is running his fuel through the regular injectors, his car just runs overly rich when his bottle runs out.
93 octane + meth is no slouch either. What's great about meth injections is you don't use any until you are on the throttle heavily. It's no problem to have it on hand at all times. My setup is progressive and starts spraying at 7 PSI (25% pump duty) then at >13 is at 100% of pump duty. So cruising around it's using no meth. VP M1 fuel is < $5.00 a gallon and distilled water 85 cents per gallon.

The tunes have come a long way and I do not have to run 1 static map for meth. There is a 0-5v flow signal output by the safe injection module. That signal runs to my tuning computer. At 0 meth flow I am on map 1 settings. At max flow I am on map 2 settings. Between 0 and max I'm incrimentally moving between map 1 and map 2 in real time.

The nitrous tuining is still in development but it has about every hardware and software safety feature you can think of and won't spray unless many conditions are met:

"So, the Procede, which fortunately can read heaps of CAN data, will only allow the nitrous trigger to arm when:

- Engine is within the allowable operating CAN oil temp range (170F to 250F).
- Applied throttle is 100%
- Actual CAN throttle is over 75%. This means that the nitrous will flicker off when the actual throttle closes due to boost targetting or traction control intervention. Just triggering off of applied throttle is useless since it does not always reflace actual throttle.
- Methanol must be flowing at least 500ml/min (also read by the Procede)
- AFR must be richer than ~12.5:1
- Boost must be over 10psi (so that it doesn't trigger early during spool-up and create an overboost condition).
- The car is in a gear and NOT in the middle of a gearchange condition. Through CAN data, it detects this regardless of whether you shift at redline or at 4000rpm.
- CAN Ignition advance must be below 14 degrees of timing. This is to avoid engaging nitrous while the DME is in the middle of a calculated load transition. This means the DME doesn't have to react to the knock when it is avoided in the first place.

When ALL these conditions are met, ONLY then will the nitrous trigger be armed. And when arming is combined with the user input (button pressed) the nitrous will spray. Either all at once, or gradually over the next .5-1 second depending on what you want and how big of jet you are running."
Old 05-10-2010, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Nacho SS
Here's one:
http://www.dragtimes.com/BMW-335i-Timeslip-14476.html

Here's another:
http://www.dragtimes.com/BMW-335i-Timeslip-14724.html

Here's a 13.6:
http://www.dragtimes.com/BMW-335i-Timeslip-15214.html

Here's a 13.3 video showroom stock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wei8N8JgwiU

Here's a 13.6 run stock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qna0rhm4MGY

Stock 13.4 vs. a Vishnu tuned 13.1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo3fGWGCKJY

A stock 2v GT has problems breaking out of the 14s. LT1's run in the high 13 range to 14 second stock quarter miles. What so hard to get? If a 335i runs a 13.3 and a 2v GT runs a 14.3, that's a full second faster. Don't even get me started on 2v and LT1 automatics and how slow they are.

Subtraction compels you.
How moronic can one be? lol You said 335's run up to a full second faster than a 2-valve GT and LT1 F-body, in which both cars on average turn 14.0 in the quarter-mile, meaning the 335i would be a 13.0 second car. Then you compare the fastest 335i times on the planet to the slowest LT1/P.I. GT times of 14.3, as if mid 14's is what they 'normally' run? I said i'd like to see a stock 335 go bottom 13's, and you send me several '13.6' runs along with a 'bogus' 13.3 run from inside the car. I understand your brand loyalness but let's not stretch the truth out here. And FWIW, the 96/97 SS's were in the 13's all day long. You sir are fanboy gayism at it's finest.

Last edited by QwikLSA; 05-10-2010 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:17 PM
TECH Junkie

This is an argument best argued over a couple pitchers of beer at a bar. You at the Westlake in San Fran, or the Westlake Village in Thousand Oaks/ West LA?

I'll be in Palmdale either next week or the week after for a few days. If you are at Westlake Village, I can take my rental beater over and you can take me for a ride: or just buy me a beer and argue this over a game of pool or darts. Deal?
Haha I live in westlake like the Thousand Oaks. I'll for sure meet up with you man...this is a good argument

Originally Posted by QwikLSA
How moronic can one be? lol You said 335's run up to a full second faster than a 2-valve GT and LT1 F-body, in which both cars on average turn 14.0 in the quarter-mile, meaning the 335i would be a 13.0 second car. Then you compare the fastest 335i times on the planet to the slowest LT1/P.I. GT times of 14.3, as if mid 14's is what they 'normally' run? I said i'd like to see a stock 335 go bottom 13's, and you send me several '13.6' runs along with a 'bogus' 13.3 run from inside the car. I understand your brand loyalness but let's not stretch the truth out here. And FWIW, the 96/97 SS's were in the 13's all day long. You sir are fanboy gayism at it's finest.
I've seen plenty of 2v GTs and LT1s run middle 14s at local tracks. LACR was the worst, the air was terrible and the track was in the middle of a giant sand pit. Now I'm not making a total generalization saying all LT1s and 2v GTs run 14 second quarters, but you miss the point that there are two outliers that skew the average...slow 2vs/LT1s that run middle to high 14s and faster ones that can dip into the 13s. Just trying to show you that the 335i can dip into the low 13s stock, and with little money, can be pretty surprising. I'm not a gay fanboy one bit, do I own a BMW sir? Do you see me driving one? I'm just merely trying to get down to some technical related discussion on how they are pretty quick for what they are. I was never trying to argue with you (Sticks was my main target in this thread LOL) but I just posted some vids where 335s are running a full second faster than 2v GT and LT1 passes I've witnessed with my two eyes. A 14.4-14.9 is the norm for a 2v GT where I live (again, LACR sucked for drag racing), with the automatics falling at the top of that range.

Overall I just respect a decent mill that makes power one way or another, whether its a H/C/I LSx or a TT inline six...variety is the spice of life. I don't believe I have any brand loyalty to BMW, I have never owned one and probably never will. I just respect them.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:50 PM

Haha I live in westlake like the Thousand Oaks. I'll for sure meet up with you man...this is a good argument

I've seen plenty of 2v GTs and LT1s run middle 14s at local tracks. LACR was the worst, the air was terrible and the track was in the middle of a giant sand pit. Now I'm not making a total generalization saying all LT1s and 2v GTs run 14 second quarters, but you miss the point that there are two outliers that skew the average...slow 2vs/LT1s that run middle to high 14s and faster ones that can dip into the 13s. Just trying to show you that the 335i can dip into the low 13s stock, and with little money, can be pretty surprising. I'm not a gay fanboy one bit, do I own a BMW sir? Do you see me driving one? I'm just merely trying to get down to some technical related discussion on how they are pretty quick for what they are. I was never trying to argue with you (Sticks was my main target in this thread LOL) but I just posted some vids where 335s are running a full second faster than 2v GT and LT1 passes I've witnessed with my two eyes. A 14.4-14.9 is the norm for a 2v GT where I live (again, LACR sucked for drag racing), with the automatics falling at the top of that range.

Overall I just respect a decent mill that makes power one way or another, whether its a H/C/I LSx or a TT inline six...variety is the spice of life. I don't believe I have any brand loyalty to BMW, I have never owned one and probably never will. I just respect them.
Well yeah, in Palmdale DA is like 2000+, lol. Doesn't suprise me that your seeing stock LT1's/GT's going 14.30's and slower. Normal times here at Sac Raceway (roughly sea level) are in the 14.0 range. I've seen enough stock 335's run to put them at mid-high 13's.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:25 PM
Staging Lane

I"ll PM you when I got a firm date, which knowing Boeing, will probably be the day before I leave.... 787 and 747-800 flight test planners are clueless.

One thing you guys arent taking into consideration about DA: turbo charged engines are drastically less affected by temperature and altitude compared to N/A cars. Look up any DA calculator and you will see that DA correction for forced induction engines runs around half that of N/A engines. Example below:

Sacramento Raceway (last July 94 deg F- both tracks same day/time)
Density Altitude:2486
1/4 mile ET:14.0
1/4 mile trap speed:101

Stock and Mildly Modified Naturally Aspirated Engines
13.59 @ 104.121 MPH

Extensively Modified Naturally Aspirated Engines
13.726 @ 103.116 MPH

Extensively Modified Supercharged and Turbocharged Engines
13.846 @ 102.123 MPH

LACR last July(96 deg F)

Density Altitude:5722
1/4 mile ET: 14.9
1/4 mile trap speed:99

Stock and Mildly Modified Naturally Aspirated Engines
13.836 @ 106.545 MPH

Extensively Modified Naturally Aspirated Engines
14.078 @ 104.598 MPH

Extensively Modified Supercharged and Turbocharged Engines
14.447 @ 102.023 MPH

Truth lies somewhere inbetween I bet. Point is, guys argueing on the internet over what :"there": track normally sees need to understand the difference DA makes: it's alot more than just actual altitude, or even temperature. Humidity, atmospheric pressure, actual starting line track temps (usually 10-20 deg higher than the temperature the news stations list). All play a roll and all must be taken into account if you are going to bench race with someone from another area of the country.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:24 AM
Teching In

Wow, I did a Google search on NT555 vs NT05R drag radials, and ended up in this forum. Then I was quite entertained to see Sticks and Stones here talking about 335i BMWs again. I just had to join to clarify a few things.

I hear what you're saying, but it seriously is when comparing to a turbo car: you have to buy "your fuel" seperately, get it ready before hand with the right tune, not available all the time, expensive to use, etc. etc. Nitrous guys got to fill a bottle: race gas guys got to run there tanks empty than fill up with expensive race gas. When either runs out, the game is over... except the turbo guy will blow his car if he doesnt change his tune back over. If the nitrous guy is running his fuel through the regular injectors, his car just runs overly rich when his bottle runs out.

This is far from the truth. The very advanced DME and wideband O2 sensors makes for some very forgiving operation. I can run the same map on 91 octane or 100 octane, or meth, achieve a 70hp again on the same map, and go back and forth as I want, without switching anything. I have also run race maps with high boost, accidentally unplugged the meth with no CELs, or problems at all. (It triggered an internal code, indicated the DME was reacting to it). I can also run the same map with or without nitrous. A .28 dryshot gave me trap speeds over 132 mph, all with no tuning or switching anything specifically for N20

When comparing totally different engines, you CANNOT go by the basic measuring sticks used for a N/A build and compare it similiarly to a turbo small displacement build. They love to try and make the comparison that way and usually it works: but lets turn that around:

Do a head/cam/"normal" bolton mods to a 335i and see how it then runs. WITHOUT upping the turbo psi. "wanna race now?"

There JB tuner that enables them to run race gas (and whatever minor mods also are required?) cost right around what a basic nitrous kit costs. The nitrous and race gas fillups are similiar enough in cost: whats the problem comparing them?

Nitrous is kind of a hassle, and more for planned race situations. Although in my car, all I have to do is reach behind me, turn on the bottle and hit the switch. Again, no need to switch from my daily driver map.

Would a diesel guy be right to rip all over the BMW guy for "needing race gas" since there trucks can double there hp and torque without running different fuels? That give them the right to ridicule turbo gas cars?? Apples to Oranges my friend.
"meth is where its at. Simple $350 kit, on demand. Can be switched on any time (again, without changing maps, etc) Last a long time, and you don't need to worry about using racing fuel at all some pretty impressive times

As far as running low 13's bone stock. It has been documented more than once. I have done it, so has Car and Driver, etc. 13.4 at 106mph on a car that wasn't even fully broken in. Note the 29mpg EPA highway rating

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...take_road_test

And most importantly, as I have told you before. This is far different from a head/cam/exhaust V8. The 335i such as mine idles perfectly smooth, and quiet, and I get over 30mpg on the highway as do many other members. I got 34.5 mpg on my last 85 mile trip.

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8181

And yes, I beat 98% of the cars I see on the streets in typical encounters. Almost every week I end up racing a SS Camaro, Challenger SRT8, GTO, etc.

What can a 335i with just a $600 tune and air filter do? How about 12.4 at 118 mph with a mediocre 2.2 sec 60' time. (19" 30 series tires). With just a decent 1.9 second 60' time, this would be in the 11's. And this is just the tune/airfilter/100 octane pump. About a 30 minute install. Mid 12's at 113.5 mph on 91 octane. No other mods whatsoever:

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7832

And none of these mods hurt luxury ride, civility, or excellent handling. As I said, someitimes I will make the 800 mile round trip to the drag strip in comfort on a Saturday, and then on Sunday I might be canyon racing or autocrossing. See my youtube videos of my car running against the Lotus Elise/Exige, and sportbikes through the canyons.
Attached Thumbnails LT1 Formula vs. BMW 335i-cimg0011b.jpg   LT1 Formula vs. BMW 335i-time-slip-132-mph.jpg  

Last edited by Hotrod182; 05-24-2010 at 01:24 AM.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:47 AM
Staging Lane

Seriously Hotrod, even your own guys say your numbers are much higher than any others. Doesnt help that you are talking about Vbox times in 47-50 degree weather at near sea level.

I've done some more research (I swear I do more research on other cars than my own lately) and I found out how easy it now is to use meth: apparently easy to make it at home, too. Makes me want a supercharger more and more.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:30 AM
Teching In

Seriously Hotrod, even your own guys say your numbers are much higher than any others. Doesnt help that you are talking about Vbox times in 47-50 degree weather at near sea level.

I've done some more research (I swear I do more research on other cars than my own lately) and I found out how easy it now is to use meth: apparently easy to make it at home, too. Makes me want a supercharger more and more.
Meth is very easy. My setup is portable. I just plug it in my lighter and put the tank behind my seat. Thats how I know I can run it on/off at any time, because sometimes I unplug it accidentally! I use VP M1. It odorless, clear solution. It just looks like water.

Quick Reply: LT1 Formula vs. BMW 335i