Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Corvette gets its payback!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corvette gets its payback!

Some of you may remember my story about the LS1 powered C5 Vette I raced in my SS…. Well, I raced its pissed off older brother … And he came back with a vengeance! The C5 Z06!!

It was a nice day out.. I decided to take the long way home after grabbing something to eat with some of my good friends. I was cruising with the t-tops off.. And I see a C5 Z up ahead. I couldn’t help but remember my previous race the LS1 vette.. And then started to think.. How would I stand against a Z06?

I kinda brushed it off and didn’t think much. It’s a Z06 for crying out loud! And I’m in my little measly Camaro! I don’t stand a chance! Or do I? I drive past him and give him a wave. He down shifts and gets on it… Giving me a little taste of his LS6 powered vette.

My cutout is now opened and I speed up to catch him. 2 vettes in under a month?!?! How could I be so lucky to have this opportunity present itself to me!

We both slow down to 30mph. I drop it into first and go, he follows! I had a jump on him. I stayed a car out front up until 80 then shut down. WOAH! How did that happen? My only explanation is he started in 2nd and I started in first… Where he should have been also..

I don’t think this guy in his $30,000 vette enjoyed seeing the back bumper of a Camaro, so he wanted his revenge. He matches my speed.. And starts in the right gear this time. He waves for me to take the jump, so I give him a few seconds to get himself ready.. downshift and go. I get a half car jump on him before he goes. I finish out first ahead, bang second.. HE’S PULLING! By the end of second, he’s a car and a half in front! 3rd gear.. . 2 cars in front!

What a great race! I was surprised at how well I stayed with him. Idk if it was because he was a bad driver, if I would be considered a good driver.. If we were both even and it was a legit race.. Or the fact that he had a passenger in his car too… But I really thought I would have been pulled on harder (I imagine he would have pulled away even farther up top at higher speeds also).

My mods are:
Pasesetter LT’s, cutout, magnaflow catback (cutout was open for the race… so this doesn’t really count! LOL!), ORY, lid, and some suspension stuff.

He was bone stock.

Just thought I’d share. This was definitely a good death by my part!

Looks like the vette still reigns the streets.....

Until my new cam goes in over the summer!
Old 05-09-2010, 03:25 PM
Teching In

Good death man. Im sure once you get a cam things will change.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what cam you going with? cam only or you gonna throw some heads on it?
Old 05-09-2010, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WSsick
what cam you going with? cam only or you gonna throw some heads on it?
I'm prob. going with New Era's Street sweeper HT cam.

I think I'm going to leave the heads alone this year (might have a friend port them to get me by) and pick up a set next year, unless if I have the extra funds and find a great deal on them.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

classifieds
Old 05-09-2010, 08:27 PM
Launching!

not bad
Old 05-09-2010, 09:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

First off C5Zs aren't anywhere near $30k and it sounds like you have the driver mod. He should have had you by a long shot.

Good runs.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good runs, always good to suprise yourself, and yea you can pick up C5 Z for about 20k now.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:58 PM
Staging Lane

Nice job, putting that Z owner in his place.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Early Z06's were a bit slower than the 2002-04 cars, but even those typically dyno about 350 rwhp stock. If the driver isn't driving the car hard he could easily lose to a bolt on F-body. Still a good kill. I wouldn't go hunting for C6 Z06's however if I were you.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

My thoughts are the Z06 was probably stock and short shifting a little. I know that my 01' Z didn't feel much faster than the T/A (that is modded similarly to the OP's car) when I first got it and was stock. Now, after the mods to the Z, the difference is night and day...especially above 5k RPM.
I had a similar encounter with a C5Z about a year ago while in the T/A but didn't fare quite as well after the Z driver realized he was gonna have to work that LS6 hard.