Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Run in with a Lightning...... Should this have happened?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 03:45 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Run in with a Lightning...... Should this have happened?

I know you guys might think this would be a "turtle race" compared to you guys lol but I just wanted to get your opinions.

Iv got an single cab 03 Silverado with a 4.8 with custom side exhaust open cut out k&n intake and some NGK plugs and MSD wires (if you even count that as a mod because I dont) so its still pretty stock. I plan on building it up as a nice street truck with cam stall gears etc. once it retires to non daily driver.

Yesterday i ditched the heavy 20s and got some light weight 17s to save a little money on tires in the future and some off the line weight and man night and day difference like I expected.

So here I am with a friend trying out the new 17s seeing the difference in how they feel and how it drives and such then all of a sudden I see this lightning on the other side of the road that is always throwing revs at me or doing whatever he wants to do to make his supercharger whine at me everythime we see eachother, so he passes and sure enough he does his thing and floors his truck and stares me down as he does it.

So I take the turn around at a stop sign im at to catch up knowing im gettin toasted if I run this guy lol but wanted to run win or lose just for fun, so I follow the guy to the usual spot where everyone races stop sign to stop sign because the brand new pavement and no traffic.

We line up at the stop and I see him talking **** to his passenger about me and laughing so then I knew this guy was one of those cocky non friendly drivers that I just HATE... So we stop, then the 3 honks...... We both spin he spins alot more with him at my back bumper then when we shut down at 90 or so hes right next to me. So im thinking WTF? But at the same time excited my little 4.8 kinda kept up with a supercharged 5.4 lol

We line up at the next stop where theres better traction again. Beep.. beep.. beep.. We both spin and by the end of my first were dead even, and when we shut down at 90 he had me by a car or car and a half. Then I throw up a wave to tell him good race but never got the wave back and turned down another street.

So the question is: Is this the usual for such a small engine Silverado to keep up with a Lightning that much? Iv raced other 4.8 silverados with just about the same mods and always end up smoking them.... I even beat my friends stock auto 01 mustang GT from a dig to about 90 or 100 or so (low ends all iv got)

Long story short: My stockish 4.8 Silverado lost to a supercharged lightning by about a car from a dig to 90
Old 06-11-2010, 03:51 AM
10 Second Club

You have a good running truck, you definitely should not have done so well against a Lightning.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:16 AM
11 Second Club

No, that Lightning should have smoked you. Maybe it's a factory freak?
Old 06-11-2010, 04:19 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Azrael
You have a good running truck, you definitely should not have done so well against a Lightning.
Thats what I was thinking... You think it wouldnt run as hot with 107k miles on the clock
Old 06-11-2010, 04:31 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 00MaroonZ28
No, that Lightning should have smoked you. Maybe it's a factory freak?
Its a possibility but can there really be on a Silverado? I need to go to the track and see what I run
Old 06-11-2010, 04:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Car Craft did an article on there short wheelbase baseline Chevy 5.3L 2wd shop truck they had: I believe they dropped something like 1.5 seconds off its 1/4 mile time by JUST a ecu reflash! Brought it down to a 14.4 or 14.5 second 1/4 mile time? The torque managament nanny controls are massive on those trucks so they basically just turned them off and it became a tire roasting machine. Combine that with your good exhaust and a bone stock and tired Lightning and I suppose your results could be considered legit.

If you are positive there isn't a aftermarket tune on your truck, then that Lightning was running on 6 cylinders. Period.

Of course, on the street you run what ya brung and hope you brung enough. Nice win/loss!
Old 06-11-2010, 04:42 AM
Launching!

Well I bought the truck two years ago with dumped exhaust, blue painted front painted chevy emblem, and grill so the guy must have had some sort of pride in it.... that and the back two tires were roasted lol I honestly dont know if he did or not but it does shift pretty damn firm
Old 06-11-2010, 04:51 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Buford17
Well I bought the truck two years ago with dumped exhaust, blue painted front painted chevy emblem, and grill so the guy must have had some sort of pride in it.... that and the back two tires were roasted lol I honestly dont know if he did or not but it does shift pretty damn firm
Yeah, he's probably had something done to it. You should have never hung in there with that lightning.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:01 AM
TECH Regular

It could be the lightening driver simply sucked.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:45 AM
Staging Lane

If it shifts firm, then it's been retuned. period. stock they shift slow and sloppy. Get in one of your buddies trucks and do a back and forth comparison: you will immediately notice the firmer shifts if one of them has a programmer tune.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

your truck really must run good, my 05 longbed has a tune and it still only did 16.7 at 84 mph, its slow as HELL under 3500 RPM. best 60 foot was 2.6 dead hooked!
Old 06-11-2010, 09:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ke^in
It could be the lightening driver simply sucked.
It's pretty hard to suck in an automatic.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:23 AM
TECH Regular

Your truck must run really well. Either that or there is something wrong with the Lightning or its driver.

BTW, you should throw some spray, or better yet boost, at your 4.8. They love the stuff.

Originally Posted by mannyman84
It's pretty hard to suck in an automatic.
Strangely enough, automatics don't help you with throttle control. Something that could come in handy in a short bed truck with 450lbft.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:44 AM
Staging Lane

I think that the lightning was slow (had issues) or you have more than you think done. I have tuned about 100 (give or take) 5.3 and 4.8 trucks and tuning alone picks them up pretty good but I think it would take more on a 4.8 to hang with a supercharged lightning. Lightnings typically run between 13.4 and 13.9 at sea level. Most of the 4.8 liter single cabs that I have tuned are very low 15 second performers with CAI, exhaust, and tuning. The 5.3 has a better chance. I tuned an 06 model single cab 5.3 which only had a cold air induction and dual exhaust. He ran a 14.1 in the quarter mile at around 97 mph (he did have a roll pan which is a weight saver over a bumper and also ran on 17" wheels) We currently have a 4.8 project truck that has a cam, stall, 3.73 gears, and long tubes and it is more on par with a stock lightning.

4.8s trap nice mph but they 60' pretty poorly

I'd also say that on average a good tune may reduce the et of a 4.8 by .4 to .5 seconds.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:08 PM
Launching!

If the truck wasnt running so good why would he be always constantly calling me out like that? Idk maybe he just didnt realize it.

Like I said at the second race none of us had THAT much tracton issues because of the brand new pavement, I did hear him spin a little but not that much because I can hear his supercharger so damn loud lol but neither of us torque breaked (or break torqued however you wanna say it) because i know il spin all through first with the new tires on new pavement so just imagine him.

Well remember that it must have something done to it (my truck) because iv never lost another race to another truck weather it be 4.8 silverado or 5.3 silverado by at least 2.5 cars
Old 06-12-2010, 02:33 PM
TECH Addict

I find it funny that some of you guys are telling him, he shouldve got his *** handed to him and shouldve never hung in there like he did against the Lightning. Not all lightnings will run the same, there's always going to be some that are weaker then others. Just like with any other vehicle. This may be the case of a perfectly fine running lightning with the driver having no issues with it, but its just simply...SLOW!! Or it does have some issues but to the driver, its running fine.

You mentioned, he seems to be a cocky mothafucker. This also brings up the fact, that he is probably 1 of those driver's who thinks his truck is the **** because its supercharged. He probably expected a little puppy kicking and ended up in a dog fight against your little 4.8. He's now *** hurt because he did all that **** talking before the race, all the drive-by's, revs & etc. and he didnt stomp you like he expected. You got no wave because of that!

As for the OP, maybe your truck just runs that good or has more **** done to it that you are unaware of. I would try and locate the previous owner (if you dont know who it is) and get some details on the truck. Good runs though!

Just saying, dont assume the lightning will run the same #'s its been shown to run. You dont know all the facts, could be running poorly or its just slow or your trucks a factory freak, has **** done your unaware of or just runs that good. Anything can happen in a street race.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:47 PM
TECH Regular

could of been a 1999-2000 those are slower and do like mid to low 14s. they make 360/440 instead of 380/450 like 01-04. and have 3.55's instead of 3.73's like the 01-04's.
but either way i doubt ur car runs mid to low 14s
Old 06-12-2010, 04:21 PM
TECH Regular

He's right.. the 99-2000 models aren't as fast. I race one from time to time. Usually a driver's race.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Badguy7
I find it funny that some of you guys are telling him, he shouldve got his *** handed to him and shouldve never hung in there like he did against the Lightning. Not all lightnings will run the same, there's always going to be some that are weaker then others. Just like with any other vehicle. This may be the case of a perfectly fine running lightning with the driver having no issues with it, but its just simply...SLOW!! Or it does have some issues but to the driver, its running fine.

You mentioned, he seems to be a cocky mothafucker. This also brings up the fact, that he is probably 1 of those driver's who thinks his truck is the **** because its supercharged. He probably expected a little puppy kicking and ended up in a dog fight against your little 4.8. He's now *** hurt because he did all that **** talking before the race, all the drive-by's, revs & etc. and he didnt stomp you like he expected. You got no wave because of that!

As for the OP, maybe your truck just runs that good or has more **** done to it that you are unaware of. I would try and locate the previous owner (if you dont know who it is) and get some details on the truck. Good runs though!

Just saying, dont assume the lightning will run the same #'s its been shown to run. You dont know all the facts, could be running poorly or its just slow or your trucks a factory freak, has **** done your unaware of or just runs that good. Anything can happen in a street race.
THANK YOU! For this respectful comment finally. Not that all the other comments are bad because none of them are bad or insulting but thank you for seeing it from multiple sides and directions. Like I said Im not assuming anything because like I said I know lightnings are quick, and any way you add it up, a near stock 4.8 shouldnt hang with one, I know my trucks not that fast you dont gotta hold it in

Originally Posted by AWDTBSS
could of been a 1999-2000 those are slower and do like mid to low 14s. they make 360/440 instead of 380/450 like 01-04. and have 3.55's instead of 3.73's like the 01-04's.
but either way i doubt ur car runs mid to low 14s
And well this is actually a very good consideration because I didnt know they were that different of track times. Mid 14s? Maybe it could be possible because it was said here earlier that these Silverados with tune (work done with the torque management) they ran mid to high 14s. BUT like the race says, he did win by maybe 1.5 cars and was still pulling before we both let off so his truck obviously was the faster truck so it deff would run a better time at the track
Old 06-13-2010, 12:10 AM
Launching!

Could possibly be you are just a better driver and the lightning was not running right.